• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Towing with a V6 Auto Tacoma

mp5

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 Nytro XTX
What's the max trailer size anyone here has towed with their Tacoma. V6 Auto..short box double cab?

I'm looking at a few different aluminum enclosed trailers...Neo...Legend and Stealth to name a few. Was thinking a 7 x 12 with 2ft V nose would work. Need to be able to park two 144's for sure and at least 6.6" height for my Wolverine sxs. Thinking anywhere from 1700 to 2300 lbs GVWR should be good. Tacoma is rated for 6400 lbs...but really dont want to exceed 75% of that...so about 4500 lbs for everything including two sleds..two people and gear etc.

Am also looking at a 12' Neo with a 4' drive out/in V nose...2300 lbs

Thoughts...?

What year Taco? The 3.4 was a good motor but it will maxed out pulling an enclosed trailer up big hills. The 4 liter was a better motor and will pull the enclosed two place, but it wont want much more load than that. Either way, the truck will do it, but you are going to be at the upper end of its limits. Its not the pulling that is the bigger problem, it the stopping.

Didn't know you have a brand new one. Those motors make power however it is at higher RPM than the old truck motors. It will run some more RPM's to get the power out but will do it.

I had a 2015 Tacoma and I was able to tow a camper but it wasn't easy! Can It tow 6400lbs? yes! but with an asterix! at 80km/h on flat surface and no wind!

I had a difficult time fighting the wind and crosswind from a passing truck. I find now a days the manufactures all say there truck is the best and it can tow a train or a passenger jet etc. Talk to any real truckers and they will tell you half the trailer and double the truck!

So lets say you want to tow a 12ft trailer, loaded it might weigh lets say for example 4000lbs total. The truck has to weight at least more then half the weight of the trailer. Tail waging the dog? Right? So look up the Tacoma's curb weight. Then take the load 4000lbs and double it! 8000lbs! Can the truck tow that? Because in real world conditions with bad weather, hill climb, strong head wind it's going to feel like 8000lbs!

I am just talking from my personal experience and I did a lot of white knuckle towing with my Tacoma. I ended up getting really frustrated traded it in on a dodge cummins 3500! yeah! Extreme I know but no more white knuckles! This dog is wagging the tail!

Attachments

• WP_20160630_12_01_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160630_12_01_14_Pro.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 177
Like you, I ended up trading that Tacoma. Bought a new Tundra...problem solved.

Back