• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TPI 911 Cover, Tough Guy Spring, & SW Helix with EVO Flash 4

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
header_2015-2.jpg

I have been reading and hearing that anyone that pushes the MAX HP on these new Yamaha Sidewinders should consider the 911 Response Cover. We are going to run this cover through the paces this season and see how she performs with the NEW Tough Guy Secondary Spring and Billet Reverse SW Helix from TPI.

911.jpg

TPI 911 Response clutch cover: Billet machined aircraft grade aluminum, the TPI 911 Response clutch cover adds rigidity to the clutch towers eliminating the normal flexing. The rigid clutch assembly along with the huge oversize cover bushing (250% larger) will keep the sheaves in perfect alignment. This will eliminate binding and produce fast, smooth and accurate up-shifting and back-shifting. Clutch and belt life is increased!

911-5.jpg

Tough Guy Secondary Spring: The secondary spring on the Yamaha Sidewinder lives a tortured existence, evidenced by the number of them coil binding and breaking. Here is the fix, a new spring by TPI made of high-end chrome-silicone wire, the Tuff Guy spring brings new rates along with a shot peened and heat-treated process to provide a spring that not only lasts longer, it launches harder and tops out higher.

911-2.jpg

Reverse Yamaha Sidewinder Billet "Holeshot" Secondary Helix:
Are all three of the shift rollers making contact with the helix ramps in your Yamaha Sidewinder secondary clutch? You might want to pull the clutch and take a look, as there have been some issues reported with the OEM rollers not having even contact, leading to flat spots on the rollers and reducing responsiveness.

Thunder Products is always looking for opportunities like this, and they have seized the moment by offering a couple of new helixes for the Sidewinder models. Their new helixes have precision machined ramps that are more accurate and smoother shifting than the stock cast ramps. Roller Life is also improved – sometimes quite significantly.

Their new Sidewinder Holeshot Helix lets your turbo spool up even faster, giving you the powerful holeshots you are looking for. This helix also has precision machined ramps that are more accurate and smoother shifting as well as improved roller life.

If your rollers are getting flat spots, or if they are not contacting all three of the OEM ramps on the cast helix, contact Thunder Products to get hooked up with performance parts to not only take care of the problem, but keep it working better for longer.

911-3.jpg
911-8.jpg

The above info is right from their website at https://www.thunderproducts.com
Also there is a great article about the 911 cover coming out in Sno-Tech in the next issue. It was also mentioned here in a past issue: 911 Response Clutch Cover.

One of our Test Sidewinders will be set up with all of the above along with Stage 4 Evo Flash. We will also have a Sidewinder set up with a Turbo Dynamics Power Trail System.

Last edited:

Nice work....looks great!

I ran a 911 cover before and loved it. I nearly forgot all about them, and now you reminded me.

I think with 270+hp its a smart thing to have for sure.

I think I may have to crack open the wallet yet again bud!:whine:

Dan

:bling

Nice work....looks great!

I ran a 911 cover before and loved it. I nearly forgot all about them, and now you reminded me.

I think with 270+hp its a smart thing to have for sure.

I think I may have to crack open the wallet yet again bud!:whine:

Dan

:bling

Right on!!

Great Wright Up!
Thank You!
I will be ordering Tough guy spring, belt adjuster and Hole Shot 33/35 Helix for sure. What spring setting do you recommend for tough guy?
Barney

Mr sled...Question on the 911.

On the stock primary, when changing a spring for instance, I usually pop cover off. I dont think we need to remove the main clutch bolt when removing the stock cover, correct?(my memory is lacking today)

But i watched Lonn's video of 911 install....and it seems that with the 911 cover, we will need to remove the main bolt in order to remove the cover, to get at spring ect.

Just wondered if you can clarify this procedure.

thanks!
Dan

On the stock primary, when changing a spring for instance, I usually pop cover off. I dont think we need to remove the main clutch bolt when removing the stock cover, correct?(my memory is lacking today)

But i watched Lonn's video of 911 install....and it seems that with the 911 cover, we will need to remove the main bolt in order to remove the cover, to get at spring ect.

thanks!
Dan

Dan,
Yes you will need to remove the center bolt but don’t have to remove clutch to install the 911 cover. Then re torque 43 to 45 ft-lbs.

thanks!
Dan
On the stock primary I removed the cover without removing the bolt and messed up my bushing, it'd be nice to not have to remove the bolt so quick weight adjustments can be made. Not bad carrying 10m and 8m tools with ya but kinda hard to carry a torque wrench.

header_2015-2.jpg

I have been reading and hearing that anyone that pushes the MAX HP on these new Yamaha Sidewinders should consider the 911 Response Cover. We are going to run this cover through the paces this season and see how she performs with the NEW Tough Guy Secondary Spring and Billet Reverse SW Helix from TPI.

View attachment 132292

TPI 911 Response clutch cover: Billet machined aircraft grade aluminum, the TPI 911 Response clutch cover adds rigidity to the clutch towers eliminating the normal flexing. The rigid clutch assembly along with the huge oversize cover bushing (250% larger) will keep the sheaves in perfect alignment. This will eliminate binding and produce fast, smooth and accurate up-shifting and back-shifting. Clutch and belt life is increased!

View attachment 132295

Tough Guy Secondary Spring: The secondary spring on the Yamaha Sidewinder lives a tortured existence, evidenced by the number of them coil binding and breaking. Here is the fix, a new spring by TPI made of high-end chrome-silicone wire, the Tuff Guy spring brings new rates along with a shot peened and heat-treated process to provide a spring that not only lasts longer, it launches harder and tops out higher.

View attachment 132293

Reverse Yamaha Sidewinder Billet "Holeshot" Secondary Helix:
Are all three of the shift rollers making contact with the helix ramps in your Yamaha Sidewinder secondary clutch? You might want to pull the clutch and take a look, as there have been some issues reported with the OEM rollers not having even contact, leading to flat spots on the rollers and reducing responsiveness.

Thunder Products is always looking for opportunities like this, and they have seized the moment by offering a couple of new helixes for the Sidewinder models. Their new helixes have precision machined ramps that are more accurate and smoother shifting than the stock cast ramps. Roller Life is also improved – sometimes quite significantly.

Their new Sidewinder Holeshot Helix lets your turbo spool up even faster, giving you the powerful holeshots you are looking for. This helix also has precision machined ramps that are more accurate and smoother shifting as well as improved roller life.

If your rollers are getting flat spots, or if they are not contacting all three of the OEM ramps on the cast helix, contact Thunder Products to get hooked up with performance parts to not only take care of the problem, but keep it working better for longer.

View attachment 132294 View attachment 132296

The above info is right from their website at https://www.thunderproducts.com
Also there is a great article about the 911 cover coming out in Sno-Tech in the next issue. It was also mentioned here in a past issue: 911 Response Clutch Cover.

One of our Test Sidewinders will be set up with all of the above along with Stage 4 Evo Flash. We will also have a Sidewinder set up with a Turbo Dynamics Power Trail System.
This site makes me spend too much money, now I want that 911 cover! Any dealers in Canada?

What did you guys that have the 911 cover use to tighten the main bolt back up? I bought several sockets (22 mm I think) and all were too thick to fit in the counter sunk hole for the bolt. I ended up taking a grinder to the socket to make the outside diameter small enough to fit.

What did you guys that have the 911 cover use to tighten the main bolt back up? I bought several sockets (22 mm I think) and all were too thick to fit in the counter sunk hole for the bolt. I ended up taking a grinder to the socket to make the outside diameter small enough to fit.

My Craftsman metric socket fit in perfect!

My Craftsman metric socket fit in perfect!
Damn. 90% of all my tools are Craftsman, but I didn't have a 22mm socket in the sets I bought 25 years ago. So I ran up to both Lowes and Home Depot and got each of theirs, both are too thick a diameter.

Back