• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track and Lug Length = Sleepless Nights

ktmhk53

Suspended
Greetings,
Its time for me to buy a new sled, and the question again arises, what Track & Lug length should it have?

My prior '12 XF 1100 SnoPro, TD' ELPM-mapped, sled seemed to have the ideal track, a Cobra 141" with a 1.5" lug, to which I added 1.625" Stud Boy Power Point Plus studs and their .750" SUPER-LITE Pro Series backers, for my 80/20 on/off trail riding environment.

attachment.php

My new sled will be built and mapped for 350 - 450 hp, and again, only be used 80/20 on/off trail.

Looking at AC's 2019 track offerings, all I see as similar is the 137" with 1.25" or 1.75″ lugs. :dunno:

Yamaha's offerings are more extensive and include:

L-TX LE: 137" x 1.6" (Coupled, Yellow/Blue),
X-TX SE: 141" x 1.6" (Uncoupled, Red),
X-TX LE: 141" x 1.75" (Uncoupled, Blue), and
S-TX DX: 146" x 1.25" (Coupled, 14 gal. fuel capacity).

Sooooooooo,
4 BIG QUESTIONS, ALL FOCUSED ON GETTING BIG HP TO HOOK UP WITH A PROPERLY STUDDED TRACK:

1. Which '19 track and lug combo track, when studded comparably to my '12, would be the most similar in overall traction/performance to my '12?

2. Is there REALLY much difference in traction between the 137" x 1.6", 137" x 1.75", and the 141" x 1.6"? OR, is it just related to the sled's handling?

3. Does the 146" track with only a 1.25" lug offer comparable (or better, or worse) traction than the shorter 141" tracks with the 1.6" or 1.75" lugs?

4. Can the 1.75" lug tracks hold up to long-distance, on-trail miles when running 350 - 450 hp maps?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

ktmhk53

Last edited:

Greetings,
Its time for me to buy a new sled, and the question again arises, what Track & Lug length should it have?

My prior '12 XF 1100 SnoPro, TD' ELPM-mapped, sled seemed to have the ideal track, a Cobra 141" with a 1.5" lug, to which I added 1.625" Stud Boy Power Point Plus studs and their .750" SUPER-LITE Pro Series backers, for my 80/20 on/off trail riding environment.

attachment.php

My new sled will be mapped for 300 - 330 hp, and again, only be used 80/20 on/off trail.

Looking at AC's 2019 track offerings, all I see as similar is the 137" with 1.25" or 1.75″ lugs. :dunno:

Sooooooooo,
4 BIG QUESTIONS, ALL FOCUSED ON GETTING BIG HP TO HOOK UP WITH A PROPERLY STUDDED TRACK:

1. Which '19 track and lug combo track, when studded comparably to my '12, would be the most similar in overall traction/performance to my '12?

2. Is there REALLY much difference in traction between the 137" x 1.6", 137" x 1.75", and the 141" x 1.6"? OR, is it just related to the sled's handling?

3. Does the 146" track with only a 1.25" lug offer comparable (or better, or worse) traction than the shorter 141" tracks with the 1.6" or 1.75" lugs?

4. Can the 1.75" lug tracks hold up to long-distance, on-trail miles when running 300 - 330 hp maps?

ktmhk53
Check out the storm 150 seems like the perfect xover track

With Yamaha's 2020 snow-check coming to an end in a few days, I need to pick a new sled to get in on their great offerings.:yam:
But my questions (shown above), still remain, and the background is the sled will be upgraded with internal engine mods (pistons, rods, cams) and upgraded turbo.:Rockon:
At bottom, what is the best way to put down 350-450 HP to the trail?
Will a 137" be just as effective as a 141 or a 146" track, and if not, would the longer track really be that much worse for trail riding? (I thought my '12 141" handled just fine.)
I'll not use the sled for any type of racing, lake or trail, I just want high HP in the trails for the giggle factor! :jump:

What do you think?:dunno:

Last edited:
With Yamaha's 2020 snow-check coming to an end in a few days, I need to pick a new sled to get in on their great offerings.:yam:
But my questions (shown above), still remain, and the background is the sled will be upgraded with internal engine mods (pistons, rods, cams) and upgraded turbo.:Rockon:
Will a 137" be just as effective as a 141 or a 146" track, and if not, would the longer track really be detrimental for trail riding.
I'll not use the sled for any type of racing, lake or trail, I just want high HP in the trails for the giggle factor! :jump:

The 137" is pretty nimble in the trails much superior to the 121 apex and i heard the 141 was very close might want to try that

I bought a 2019 LTX DX with the 137" x 1.25" track, and I do more track spinning than I would like. My buddy bought the LTX LE at the same time with the 1.6" lug, and he is very happy. He does not do any off-trail riding, but his sled is much better than mine in the fresh or soft snow when riding trails. Unfortunately, I thought that the 2020 LE's were going back to the 1.25", but I could be wrong. I have a Viper XTX with the 1.6" and it is pretty capable off trail, but no where as "nimble" as the 137" on the trail. In 2018 they made a 137" XTX that had the coupled suspension and a 1.75" track; I have never ridden one, but I think that would be a great 80/20 sled!

Anything other than the 137" will have an uncoupled skid. Add all that HP, good traction to an uncoupled skid and it will be a wheelie machine. In my opinion not great for a "trail" sled.

Last edited:
1" hacksaw is the fastest setup...period. Hard to beat overall...

I would go 137” and put a 1.75 back county track under it. I spring checked a 2020 ltx le and when the rip 2 gives up I’ll be putting in the 1.75 backcountry. Great track. Had one in my xtx apex. 144”x1.75 lug

Well the 141 is uncoupled but will load the track and suspension much better than the flat 137 if you find a nose coming up too much and you're spending that much money anyway high gear makes a coupling system for the 141 in uncoupled suspension that is phenomenal I have 2 XTX vipers with turbos my trail sled is 265 horse and my race sled is 400 horse and both are maniacal yet the news only comes up 11 to 14 inches on the trail and 6" on the race sled

Will a 137" be just as effective as a 141 or a 146" track, and if not, would the longer track really be that much worse for trail riding? (I thought my '12 141" handled just fine.)

Your in a Whole different world then I (260ish)with that kind of power, but very surprised to hear that the 1.5” Cobra worked for you. Have seen what the 1.6 Ice Cobra acts like. Huge loss of top end and no traction on groomed trails when compared to a 1.25” track. Trim that cobra down to 7/8” and add studs, wow what a top end track!! I feel those soft cobra lugs bend over way too easy causing lot’s of spinning on groomed trail, but much better in the off trail deeper snow. But then again, after looking at the amount of studs you had, Game Changer!

Good luck, hope you find that perfect blend for your needs.

Greetings,

attachment.php

My new sled will be built and mapped for 350 - 450 hp, and again, only be used 80/20 on/off trail.

Sooooooooo,

4. Can the 1.75" lug tracks hold up to long-distance, on-trail miles when running 350 - 450 hp maps?

ktmhk53
If I was in your shoes my only sled of choice would be a 20 with the newly tweaked 146 skid.

Anything other than the 137" will have an uncoupled skid. Add all that HP, good traction to an uncoupled skid and it will be a wheelie machine. In my opinion not great for a "trail" sled.
I agree. uncoupled is way more traction, with very poor trail manners, point and shoot

Your in a Whole different world then I (260ish)with that kind of power, but very surprised to hear that the 1.5” Cobra worked for you. Have seen what the 1.6 Ice Cobra acts like. Huge loss of top end and no traction on groomed trails when compared to a 1.25” track. Trim that cobra down to 7/8” and add studs, wow what a top end track!! I feel those soft cobra lugs bend over way too easy causing lot’s of spinning on groomed trail, but much better in the off trail deeper snow. But then again, after looking at the amount of studs you had, Game Changer!

Good luck, hope you find that perfect blend for your needs.
you would need 2 cartsfor that pile of hardware. is the pic when new? or are you actually riding in snow

Back