• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Blow out - what happened?

02ViperMody44

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
2013 Yamaha XTX
YAHOO
ramody44@yahoo.com
I have 1514 miles on my swapped track on my 2020 SRX. Wanted a 1.25" track instead of the factory 1". Doing some testing after installing an O2 sensor and some other improvements and my track split perfectly in half. Took out my heat exchangers!!!! First trip out all year nonetheless. It was studded up the middle with 192 1.52" Extreme Max studs. The track appeared in perfect shape. No tear outs, no missing clips. It was a Composit T320 brand/model track. I went with them after seeing them at the Syracuse Powersports show, and I am now thinking I went with the wrong horse in this race. Looking for opinions as to what may have happened here? Stud length too much, bad pattern was on a lake doing some clutch testing. Not at max speed when it blew.
I am now going to go with a Ripsaw 2, but was wondering about opinions on my studding pattern, as to whether or not it may have contributed to it. Never had something like this happen on my Apex, but am running a lot more ponies. The track split perfectly right where the make and model of the track is molded into it.

Attachments

• SplitSeamE.jpg
    SplitSeamE.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 331
  • SplitOverlapE.jpg
    SplitOverlapE.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 313
  • LayedoutSeamE.jpg
    LayedoutSeamE.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 315
  • SplitSeam2E.jpg
    SplitSeam2E.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 313
  • SplitAtNumbersE.jpg
    SplitAtNumbersE.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 326
  • TrackLayedOutE.jpg
    TrackLayedOutE.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Yep there junk, with all those studs you should have just left the stock track on it that 1\4 inch you gained with changing your track was minimal and not worth the effort in my eyes. Call them up and scream warranty ya never know what they will say.

Thats ugly. Looks like poor quality. That Ripsaw2 is a tough track, it will take a beating.
After riding almost identical sleds on trail, one with an inch track and the other with 1 1/4, same stud pattern, I have to say there is a noticeable difference, especially braking.....

speaking of CM, anyone seen or heard from him?????

Glad I didn't try one...wow. I think CM put one on.
Well if it helps someone make a decision one way or the other, if they are in the market. This is just my personal experience. If I saw a post like this before hand, I probably wouldn't have made the purchase.

3 things I'd never do here. Run 192 studs down the middle, run tall nuts on the studs and run a Russian track.
What would you recommend for a stud pattern? 192 Woody's with some on the outside? That is a pattern from Studboy that I used.

What would you recommend for a stud pattern? 192 Woody's with some on the outside? That is basically a pattern from Studboy.

I'd only put a max of 144 in the middle and don't use the long nuts, let the stud bend if it snags something so it doesn't try to rip out from the track. Something has to give when a stud snags too hard, its either bend the stud or rip out, I'll take a bent stud.

To run 192 studs down the middle is worthless other than adding weight. All the studs do is run in one anothers close scratch line and spin. It's about the quality of the scratch lines and the distance to repeat the pattern without cutting cords in the track.

I ran 1.52 Extreme Max on a 1.25 Ripsaw 2 on my turbo'd Viper. Only 3 per bar but it held up all last year over a couple thousand Km's

I'd only put a max of 144 in the middle and don't use the long nuts, let the stud bend if it snags something so it doesn't try to rip out from the track. Something has to give when a stud snags too hard, its either bend the stud or rip out, I'll take a bent stud.

To run 192 studs down the middle is worthless other than adding weight. All the studs do is run in one anothers close scratch line and spin. It's about the quality of the scratch lines and the distance to repeat the pattern without cutting cords in the track.

Okay, thanks for your reply. I may just take some of the weight out!

I use this down-the-center pattern which uses a combination of singles and backers. Can't remember the total scratch lines but it was more than what I had been using or other patterns I had found. It's a Stud Boy pattern though.

2.JPG

glad you are ok.

Back