• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Damage

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I bought a used XTX with the 1.6" track, and before buying it, I failed to properly inspect the track. My bad! The sled was on a rack and the left side of the track was visible, and looked perfect; unfortunately, I never looked at the right side of the track until I got it home. One of the paddles is missing about 1/2 to 1/3 of the paddle (on the out side of the track), exposing the fabric underneath. Many of the others seem to have a cut or tear in the same location part way through the paddle, but not all the way through the rubber. (The sled has ice scratchers on it, and I wonder if the right side might have got caught under the track and cut the paddles?) Anyway, the dealer has told me that it will not affect the track and it is fine to run. (He has offered to get me a new track and install it at his cost, plus labor.) Should I replace the track, or trust my dealer and ride it as is?

Over the years I've run tracks a long time with missing lugs. Without seeing the track I would think you are OK as long as the cords aren't cut. That being said, if there are exposed cords they could be further damaged by rocks, loading on a trailer, etc. You could ride it a while and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse you could take the dealer up on his offer.

photo 2.JPG
I finally remembered to take a picture of the track where the paddle is ripped off. The cord is exposed, and a little frayed at the top, but does not appear to go any deeper than the surface. What do you think, ok or not ok?

I would say it would be fine for this year but keep and eye on it.

Back