• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track life expectancy

Avenged7x

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE
What kind of mileage can we expect to get out of the 1.25 Ripsaw II?

Curious as to what stock guys are seeing as a safe range vs. the guys running the bigger tunes.

Also curious as to what the consensus is on studding vs. longevity. I was always told studding the outside significantly reduced track life (but hooked quite a bit harder) as did increasing penetration. However I see lots of guys running fairly big studs and most are now studding the outside again.

I've got 4500 miles on mine which is studded up the middle with 144 indouble backers, we typically have very good snow conditions here. The last 1200 of those miles have been with a 280 tune.

In my opinion, the biggest factor when looking at track longevity is how much high speed running you do. Constant speeds in the 130-150mph range causes track to bloat and stretch. Eventually, the cords holding it together stretch/break and you end up spitting track out. Lots of racing will net about 2k miles out of a track. You keep it under 100mph, you'll get 10k miles. This is factoring in good snow conditions and ruling out spinning over stumps etc.

Last edited:
Mine has about 4k miles on it. 144 up the middle and it's spitting studs out every day. I am running it at 290+ now and am not easy on it. I think I'm missing 5 or 6 now. Haven't counted but noticed some missing this morning. I was only missing 1 at the beginning of this trip. I'm thinking about sacrificing pure ice traction and getting an ice storm for next year.

Mine has about 4k miles on it. 144 up the middle and it's spitting studs out every day. I am running it at 290+ now and am not easy on it. I think I'm missing 5 or 6 now. Haven't counted but noticed some missing this morning. I was only missing 1 at the beginning of this trip. I'm thinking about sacrificing pure ice traction and getting an ice storm for next year.

My track still looks good, but I'll be replacing it before next season for peace of mind.

The Ice Storm does seem like an interesting option for sure. I'd like to be done with the hassle of studding, but I hate to give up any traction or braking ability. The ice storm also has significantly less studs than most other pre-studded tracks.

I've heard good things about the Storm 150 too, I like the idea of that track with some extra off-trail ability while not giving up too much on-trail other than maybe a couple of mph.

What kind of mileage can we expect to get out of the 1.25 Ripsaw II?

Curious as to what stock guys are seeing as a safe range vs. the guys running the bigger tunes.

Also curious as to what the consensus is on studding vs. longevity. I was always told studding the outside significantly reduced track life (but hooked quite a bit harder) as did increasing penetration. However I see lots of guys running fairly big studs and most are now studding the outside again.

I've got 4500 miles on mine which is studded up the middle with 144 indouble backers, we typically have very good snow conditions here. The last 1200 of those miles have been with a 280 tune.
If your going to stud your track your going to need between 1/2"-3/4" penetration or dont bother you need to stud the outside of the track or it will push through the corners prob end up changing track every few years if your lucky i just went with a storm 150 2 ply with 192 igrips on the lugs easy to install decent traction on everything time will tell how long it lasts

If your going to stud your track your going to need between 1/2"-3/4" penetration or dont bother you need to stud the outside of the track or it will push through the corners prob end up changing track every few years if your lucky i just went with a storm 150 2 ply with 192 igrips on the lugs easy to install decent traction on everything time will tell how long it lasts
???

Sorry the way I read your post It sounded like you said stud the outside or it will push through corners and a track only lasts 2years...and its a waste of time to run studs unless there way long.

Sorry the way I read your post It sounded like you said stud the outside or it will push through corners and a track only lasts 2years...and its a waste of time to run studs unless there way long.
Depends on where you ride how long a studded track lasts got tired of changing them every 2-3 years,yes if you dont stud the outside your not going to corner until you let off the throttle you wont be able to ride aggresive in the corners and if your only getting 3/16" penetration its a waste of money need 1/2" to 3/4" penetration imop

Depends on where you ride how long a studded track lasts got tired of changing them every 2-3 years,yes if you dont stud the outside your not going to corner until you let off the throttle you wont be able to ride aggresive in the corners and if your only getting 3/16" penetration its a waste of money need 1/2" to 3/4" penetration imop
With traditional studs, the further out you stud the track the MORE difficult it is to make the sled turn. That's why people only stud the middle.

With traditional studs, the further out you stud the track the MORE difficult it is to make the sled turn. That's why people only stud the middle.
Wrong

I disagree. No offense. A lot of guys feel that way about outside the windows. And feel it makes it more difficult to turn. I just don’t feel that at all

I disagree. No offense. A lot of guys feel that way about outside the windows. And feel it makes it more difficult to turn. I just don’t feel that at all
When the outside of the track is studded ot allows you to turn without letting off the throttle when studing just the center it will pull the sled straight and you wont be able to turn until you let off the throttle trust me ran many studded tracks and try for minimum 1/2"-3/4" penetration to make it worth while going with 3/16" like they recomend is useless

Back