• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Repair - Gorilla Glue vs E6000 vs ?

burg226

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Arctic Cat 9000RR
I have a small tear less than 1/2 inch wide on the outside of my fairly new ripsaw track. The tear is right through the track but only goes a 1/2 inch deep from the ouside of the track inwards. Replacing the track is out of the question at this point however I would like to attempt to repair it.

Just by doing some research I have read up on people suggesting Gorilla Glue, E6000 and other industrial materials. Has anyone repaired a slight tear successfully on there own? If so, what did you use? I'm looking for a commonly available product I can purchase at Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Walmart, etc.

I highly doubt gorilla glue would hold up very long. My personal experience with GG is that it does well if it doesn't have to hold up under cold or flexing conditions. I've seen it actually shatter when cold! I can't imagine it lasting more than a couple of times around the cogs and it would be done.

track

I doubt the glue will work...there use to be a place in Ontario that did track repairs.....I don't know if they are still in business..

Call Camoplast and see what they say?

Re: track

Newfie Apex said:
I doubt the glue will work...there use to be a place in Ontario that did track repairs.....I don't know if they are still in business..

The track repair places I've seen used vulcanization techniques, which is worlds apart from any form of glue. (think chemically melting and reforming.)

I've used a urethane based windshield sealer the installers use..black, flexible, strong. Clean it well with acetone, then apply and let it dry 2-3 days before using. Wear rubber gloves. My repairs to an old Skidoo and an FST have lasted a few years now. Get it fully inside the tear and you should be all set.

X2 on the windshield urethane. I had a peeling type rip in a track I picked up for $50. I used the urethane as well as a large needle and cord to also sew it. I would heat the needle with a propane torch and pushed it through the track. About 1000Km, still good.

e6000 is pretty good stuff. I repaired a rip with it and it lasted the rest of the season till I replaced the track. I used cord too because it was on the side and all the way through.

Like smokingcrater said Vulcanization. Industrial belt places might lead ya in the right direction.

Back