• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track, Storm or Rip 2 1.5?

I switched to a 1.5" Ripsaw2 this season and put 192 Gold Diggers in it in a 4-2-4-2 pattern including the outside bands. The traction is night and day compared to my previous 1.25" Rispaw2 with 144 center only studs. Yes this is at the expense of approximately 5mph off the top end and some additional push and/or steering effort. I run Snowtrackers so that helps mitigate some of the steering issues.

The durability of the Ripsaw2 is hard to beat and the 1.5 lug is a huge improvement both on and off-trail. I'd rather not have lost the top end speed, but that is inevitable with increased rotating mass and resistance. It is still plenty fast even if it won't run to the end of the 21/41 gears anymore, I still think that is the best gearset for this combo on snow. Corner to corner and in 1/4 mile or less its way quicker. Sled also has a 280hp tune in it, I used to lose to similarly tuned BTXs with 1.75s on them by 2-3 lengths in the 1/8th and now I'm beating them by 2-3 lengths in that distance on hardpack despite the 137 skid that doesn't transfer well. For most users I'd say the 1.5 Ripsaw2 should be the stock offering on these sleds.

No Doubt!!!! first thing I noticed when riding a 2020 T-Cat for the first time is the lack of stopping with the 1 inch track. A little unnerving at first.
I cannot imagine running my Tcat with a one inch track unless I had 5 studs per bar on in. LOL
Glad Acat went back to a 1.25. I run that with 5 studs per bar. Traction is king. Power is useless unless you can get it to the ground.

I actually enjoy the 1" track on my 19' SRX. 128mph with my tune on top end and predictable slide in the corners!
How many studs are you running?

192 all on double backers.
Very nice.

In the old days we would shave our tracks, and run 288 studs in our old two stroke Tcats. Still have one of those tracks loaded with ice picks in storage. LOL

For tracks, hands down the 1.5 Rip2 is the way to go. I've had the 1,25 rip2, back country 1.75 and Hurricane 1.75. The stock rip 2, even studded up, still doesnt have as much traction as a 1.5 or bigger. The back country 1.75 is an animal, but does scrub some top end and is ONLY offered in 2 ply from the factory (Camso sells 1 ply only). The Hurricane was pure garbage, I lost most of the lugs after about 2000kms (I did have Igrips) so maybe something to do with it.

I have a 2022 GT and was in debate about keeping the 22/41 or going with 24/50. Maybe I will keep stock gears and see how it is (coming off a 2019 Cat with 24/50).

I AM GOING WITH THE 24-50 RIGHT OFF THE BAT.
144 studs in the middle of the rip2 that is now sitting above the garage.
debating on which clutch to run, RX-1 or TAPP. I have both sitting on the shelf. The stock one is coming off right away.

I cannot imagine running my Tcat with a one inch track unless I had 5 studs per bar on in. LOL
Glad Acat went back to a 1.25. I run that with 5 studs per bar. Traction is king. Power is useless unless you can get it to the ground.
Got that on my 2019 with 4-2-4. Once the snow gets chewed up around noon or two in group ride I'm at the back of the pack due lack of traction.

Been looking at the 1.5 rip2 for this exact reason

I just switched my stock gears 21/41 over to 24/50 to give it a try this year and see how I like it. Running the Storm 1.5 with iGrips. I was super impressed with this track last year with the iGrips and track looks in awesome shape after running TD MAX 17 all last year. Also running the TAPP primary so looking forward to trying this gearing this year. I can always switch back to 21/41 if I don't like it, but curious to see how it feels in the tighter trails here in northern WI

I just switched my stock gears 21/41 over to 24/50 to give it a try this year and see how I like it. Running the Storm 1.5 with iGrips. I was super impressed with this track last year with the iGrips and track looks in awesome shape after running TD MAX 17 all last year. Also running the TAPP primary so looking forward to trying this gearing this year. I can always switch back to 21/41 if I don't like it, but curious to see how it feels in the tighter trails here in northern WI
which igrips are you running in that storm? And since the lugs are tapered in height are you just running them down the center?

which igrips are you running in that storm? And since the lugs are tapered in height are you just running them down the center?

I am running SS-32R's on the center lugs that are 1.5" and SS-28R's on the outside lugs which are 1.25".

Back