• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank A+

Looks great. It was the single best upgrade i made to my Nytro. Totally changed everything. Enjoy the long runs now.
MS
Thanks man! I'm really impressed with it so far, way better fit than I expected. Glad to hear some more good reviews. Its gonna be a game changer for me I think. I hated being the only guy in my group needing gas at 90 miles. No more people rolling their eyes cause I need gas.

From your pics, the gen 3 seems like an improved mold! Looks great. Nothing like hiding a few extra gallons of fuel in a trail tank! Mine is thumb screws, have no idea when the original buyer installed it so could be gen 1 or gen 2; maybe the mark shown in the pics below indicates what year. I checked for rubbing of wiring harness at front and against the frame and seems good. The body plastics are like a suit size too small when you put them on; required ovalizing the hood thumb screw holes so you can just fit them on. I found some silicon adhesive grease in the tank screw holes make them go in much better. When I bought the sled it was blue, you can see the blue plastics were a little rough on the cutting and required the extra edge trim. When I switched over to a black hood and tank cover last year along with the black WRP seat, I was very careful when cutting the tank cover so the saw only took the plastic tab and left the factory finish down to the actual tab I had to remove. I wanted to avoid having to put on any sort of trim on each side but you can see where the hood and tank cover plastics come together, it is not like a Yamaha stock fit but adequate. The first two pics show my first cut where I left more of the tank cover where the hood intersects, then my final cut were I removed some more plastic where the hood meets the tank cover. Really does not matter as I cover it all with a tank bag! The WRP does not exactly line up with the trail tank or the rear plastics either, even on the stock seat pan, but love the WRP riding position. Even with the trail tank, I still carry a 1.3 gal Mountain Addiction Jug on my rack for regular riding. When we hit the Maine North Woods (no gas for 175 miles depending where you ride), I am still short fuel so found a set of new Nytro gas caddie bags (SMA-8GL73-CD-DY) in Canada last year , hard to find. I plan to install them this year and use one for gas, one for gear or both for gas on the deep woods rides (11+1.3+1.25+1.25 gives me 14.8 gal). I can always borrow gas too as the new Doo's can take 2x 5 gal on their tunnels but I prefer to carry in what I need and avoid the Nytro limited fuel comments!

30s.jpg 31s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 7s.jpg 8s.jpg 9s.jpg 13s.jpg 14s.jpg 15s.jpg 16s.jpg gas saddle 2 s.jpg gas saddle s.jpg IMG_6086s.jpg 28s.jpg

Last edited:
Hooraw, the new trail tank is 1/2 gallon less at 9.5 gallons where the older gen used to be 10. Just be careful with the first gen older tank I've read that on the real early tanks rub threws happened and there was no heat shield on bottom, a small drip of gas on that hot exhaust could be scary. I'm sure you must have the second gen.. I think the new gen is around 300 bucks might be worth the upgrade for peice of mind. Just a thought..but if your confident and dont care about exact fit then you'll have an extra 1/2 gallon. Your sled looks good all black and like you said your tank bag covers it anyway. I ran a tank bag for a pack trip to the Track down and hated it..kept catching me in the nuts and interfered with the bars on sharp corners. Installed grizz bar relocate and love the position its perfect so may help with tank bag. Either way bring on the snow!! Hope covid doesn't shut down the bars hotels and restaurants.

Last edited:
Hooraw, the new trail tank is 1/2 gallon less at 9.5 gallons where the older gen used to be 10. Just be careful with the older tank I've read that on the early gen tanks about rub throughs and stuff, a small drip of gas on that hot exhaust could be scary. I think the new gen is about 320 shipped. I used social10 coupon code and gives you 10 percent off. Just a thought..but if your confident and dont care about exact fit then you'll have an extra 1/2 gallon. Your sled looks good all black and like you said your tank bag covers it anyway. I ran a tank bag for a pack trip to the Track down and hated it..kept catching me in the nuts and interfered with the bars on sharp corners. Instslled grizz bar relocate and love the position its perfect so may help with tank bag. Either way bring on the snow!! Hope covid doesn't shut down the bars hotels and restaurants.
Seavey, I do like the slight tuck and better fit of the gen 3. I just went out to the site, fantastic they kept a Nytro model in production. It looks cleaner, closer to a factory alignment.

I think they guy I bought it from said it was a 2nd gen tank, the owner dropped $5000 to do the front/rear suspension, trail tank, luggage, rear rack, track, skis, windshield, etc. I inspected all sides and it is solid with only some surface scuffing at the frame rub points, no pinches harness and no leaks but I like the gen 3, look better and quick disconnects. At the front corner, the wire harness had rubbed through the first outer wrap layer and I pulled it back to avoid the rub and added some harness wrap at the wear point. Anyone that has a tank like this needs to pull it out and inspect for sure, some as you noted, may not be "seated" in place and rub and leak. I like the gen 3 releases, the thumb screws are tender, with gloves you can cross thread and over-tighten easily in the field. I put a tap and die and Hurst (BMW German) hinge adhesive spray grease on the threads and they are very predictable to put in and out. Discovery side note, if you are into lubricants for anything mechanical, this is the only lubricant product you want to own. I mean anything, I own a a few cars from the 60s and 80s and that is the hinge lubricant for the 530i but it works great on a Nytro exposed front end ball joint system, literally any other part needing lubricant. It dries a little and sticks; a synthetic adhesive grease residue remains after the deployment solvent evaporates, leaving a skin, really nice.

Anyways, we should all connect this winter, every weekend is a riding weekend in January and February and there are a few of us here... I'm always looking to ride, would be fantastic if anyone has a hunting base camp, been thinking of trying to build one way up. Shin Pond is an easy meeting place too and they have a great facility (parking, beds, cabins, restaurant and general store). Great take off point for the woods!

9.5 gal is good, for me total gallons is everything for the woods. I think I am 10.1 not 11 so I only can carry 10.1+1.3+1.25+1.25 and 13.9 is light as you know. Two years ago, they had 10'-16' on the level and it was nuts. You would burn 5 gallons in a heartbeat, but Nytros are not for the woods (although they hold their own). For me the "loop" from Deans (Portage) up the Canadian border all the way around to Allagash and back down is hard to beat anywhere on the planet. On those trails it is where I get on any other sled, brand new or not, and when you get back on the Nytro it is a much more sophisticated ride, like a GP bike. There is a smoothness and up front, right there geometry / predictability that is not on a Doo, Polaris or Cat. Nytros "suffer" from a hyperactive front end until you get right up on the tank and use the torque of the motor to balance everything. The triple is sweet. Why when I ride my '98 redhead XTC700, always a smile, 12" of suspension and a 700 two-stroke, great idea! Snow soon I hope, but 73 F here in York. Should try to organize some Nytro rides, would be fun, rip up some snow.

Seavey, I do like the slight tuck and better fit of the gen 3. I just went out to the site, fantastic they kept a Nytro model in production. It looks cleaner, closer to a factory alignment.

I think they guy I bought it from said it was a 2nd gen tank, the owner dropped $5000 to do the front/rear suspension, trail tank, luggage, rear rack, track, skis, windshield, etc. I inspected all sides and it is solid with only some surface scuffing at the frame rub points, no pinches harness and no leaks but I like the gen 3, look better and quick disconnects. At the front corner, the wire harness had rubbed through the first outer wrap layer and I pulled it back to avoid the rub and added some harness wrap at the wear point. Anyone that has a tank like this needs to pull it out and inspect for sure, some as you noted, may not be "seated" in place and rub and leak. I like the gen 3 releases, the thumb screws are tender, with gloves you can cross thread and over-tighten easily in the field. I put a tap and die and Hurst (BMW German) hinge adhesive spray grease on the threads and they are very predictable to put in and out. Discovery side note, if you are into lubricants for anything mechanical, this is the only lubricant product you want to own. I mean anything, I own a a few cars from the 60s and 80s and that is the hinge lubricant for the 530i but it works great on a Nytro exposed front end ball joint system, literally any other part needing lubricant. It dries a little and sticks; a synthetic adhesive grease residue remains after the deployment solvent evaporates, leaving a skin, really nice.

Anyways, we should all connect this winter, every weekend is a riding weekend in January and February and there are a few of us here... I'm always looking to ride, would be fantastic if anyone has a hunting base camp, been thinking of trying to build one way up. Shin Pond is an easy meeting place too and they have a great facility (parking, beds, cabins, restaurant and general store). Great take off point for the woods!

9.5 gal is good, for me total gallons is everything for the woods. I think I am 10.1 not 11 so I only can carry 10.1+1.3+1.25+1.25 and 13.9 is light as you know. Two years ago, they had 10'-16' on the level and it was nuts. You would burn 5 gallons in a heartbeat, but Nytros are not for the woods (although they hold their own). For me the "loop" from Deans (Portage) up the Canadian border all the way around to Allagash and back down is hard to beat anywhere on the planet. On those trails it is where I get on any other sled, brand new or not, and when you get back on the Nytro it is a much more sophisticated ride, like a GP bike. There is a smoothness and up front, right there geometry / predictability that is not on a Doo, Polaris or Cat. Nytros "suffer" from a hyperactive front end until you get right up on the tank and use the torque of the motor to balance everything. The triple is sweet. Why when I ride my '98 redhead XTC700, always a smile, 12" of suspension and a 700 two-stroke, great idea! Snow soon I hope, but 73 F here in York. Should try to organize some Nytro rides, would be fun, rip up some snow.

I just figured I'd pick the tank up because I'm sure trail tank won't make them forever, there really isn't a huge amount of people still running nytros. Its getting harder and harder to find anything for them aftermarket. I plan on keeping the nytro because I have way more into then I would ever get out of it and it will make a good spare sled for buddies to ride. Im sure within a year or so ill be upgrading to a sidewinder or thundercat. Think I'm done with upgrades to the nytro now.. its been a love hate relationship for sure.

I just figured I'd pick the tank up because I'm sure trail tank won't make them forever, there really isn't a huge amount of people still running nytros. Its getting harder and harder to find anything for them aftermarket. I plan on keeping the nytro because I have way more into then I would ever get out of it and it will make a good spare sled for buddies to ride. Im sure within a year or so ill be upgrading to a sidewinder or thundercat. Think I'm done with upgrades to the nytro now.. its been a love hate relationship for sure.
Agree, a great second sled, have not really studied the sidewinder much, but heard the turbo really makes them move.

The trail tank a Yamaha part or a aftermarket part? And if soo so we have a part number?
Thanks in advance...

Kirk

Kirk, Google nytro trail tank it is sold by trail tank.net. I used social10 discount code for 10 percent off not sure if it still works.

Last edited:
Kirk, Google nytro trail tank it is sold by trail tank.net. I used social10 discount code for 10 percent off not sure if it still works.

Thank U!!

Cheers

Just wondering where you picked the trail tank up from, haven’t seen them in stock and I am contemplating picking one up. Disregard, I just noticed you got it from trailtank.net, I’ll just have to keep an eye for when They get restocked

Just finished installing the trail tank and I am very impressed. I am probably the fussiest person on the planet and fit and finish is important to me. After reading all the reviews I was on the fence about buying one but this latest version fits like a glove. It dropped right in, I never had to force, pry, or bend anything. Actually goes in easier than the oem and they made enough room to keep the vent line where it is. The hood panels fit nicely and I don't think most people would even be able to tell its a different tank. My only small gripe is the dsus; the oem are slightly to small and the ones that come with the tank are slightly to long. I will be looking for something between the two. If your on the fence like I was and are reading reviews after reviews just get it you won't be disappointed. It will be so great not looking for gas every 80 miles.

Just wondering where you picked the trail tank up from, haven’t seen them in stock and I am contemplating picking one up. Disregard, I just noticed you got it from trailtank.net, I’ll just have to keep an eye for when They get restocked
I see justgastanks.com sells them too not sure on which version you may want to check with them.

My sled is up North already waiting for snow but I found I had a pictures showing the my Trail Tank fit. The only fit issue I had on my 08' with an early gen Trail Tank is a V gap of the hood to the center gas tank panel. There are no hood gaps up around the front of the black console piece. The hood starts to gap rear of that as you can see in this pic. I had to open up the clearance holes a little in the hood so the thumb screws can be aligned with the nut inserts in the tank. The side view fits are great with no issue. Since most of the extra capacity of the Trail Tank is forward, the tank greatly reduces the air space behind the radiator. I had read of some cooling issues wiht this reduction in open space. So I shimmed my radiator forward and also added BOP extra Apex fan kit for peace of mind. G.B.

IMG-1911.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Just finished installing the trail tank and I am very impressed. I am probably the fussiest person on the planet and fit and finish is important to me. After reading all the reviews I was on the fence about buying one but this latest version fits like a glove. It dropped right in, I never had to force, pry, or bend anything. Actually goes in easier than the oem and they made enough room to keep the vent line where it is. The hood panels fit nicely and I don't think most people would even be able to tell its a different tank. My only small gripe is the dsus; the oem are slightly to small and the ones that come with the tank are slightly to long. I will be looking for something between the two. If your on the fence like I was and are reading reviews after reviews just get it you won't be disappointed. It will be so great not looking for gas every 80 miles.
What site did you order this tank from?

Back