• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail tank???

cjz said:
Hey NLVMAX,
How was the final fit and finish?
Is there a lot to the install?
I have a new RTX SE and would like a larger tank........ I'm still on the fence with ripping apart a new sled that hasn't seen snow yet.

Thanks,
cjz

I have an 08 RTX and the install went pretty smooth. You will have to drill out the exidting mounting holes where the pins/screws connect. The will be about 1/16"-1/8" bigger. I like the idea under the nytro mountain section for the locking washers. The tank fits perfects and looks factory. Once you trim and clean up the blue plastic. My tank bag, billet cap, and knee guards all went right back on without a problem. Just don't forget to order the o-ring, and tape from Seth. Watch the o-ring so you don't pinch it and get a leak. Good luck! If you want to see it on an RTX check out my 08 thread, and you will see a factory looking tank.
:bling

Has anyone had the problem of gas coming out of the overflow? I picked up my sled and when I filled it up with gas there was gas coming out of the bottom of my sled on the left hand side by the heat exchanger. (Left if your sitting on the machine) I took it back to the dealer and he is checking it out and he says it needs a thicker gasket but it looks like there is gas coming out of the overflow. This is with the trail tank on the xtx. Should the overflow be rerouted or moved. I havnt seen it either yet. Thanks! Tim

The vent line runs to the right, goes down about a foot, doubles back and down the left side. There is probably about five feet of vent line.

If you have fuel coming out of the vent line it is likely a combination of over full and temperature change.

I don't think it was temp change in my case because I noticed it leaking right after i filled it up. I guess I overfilled it but it wasnt up to the opening yet and it leaked. Would bringing the hose up a little higher first make a difference or is it forced out?

I might be exceeding my area of expertise here, so I'll be brief.

I don't think that bringing the hose up would have any affect. Some of the temperature change can result in the difference between the underground storage tanks and air temperature.

It almost sounds as if you overfilled the tank since you had a problem right after the fill up. Where you describe the fuel coming out is the dump for the vent line, but it wouldn't hurt to take the seat off just to make certain you don't have a leak around the fuel sending unit.

My dealer did see that the seals were damp so he put in thicker ones, but he said the dripping that I saw coming out wasnt from the seals. Hopefully it was just overflow. I would hate to have this happen out on a lake (gas dripping). It hasnt happen again and the tank is full so ill keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info! Tim

you guys had me concerned, so i filled my trail tank to check for leaks. mine was bought early in the summer, and i just put fuel in it. i have no leaks. the fit issue on my mtx is really not that bad.

did the company change o-ring suppliers or diameter this year? are you guys installing them and not having them in the groove and cutting them? over tightening them, under tightening?
i am not having any issues at this time and, i am using the o-rings sent with the tank, not the oem ones.

i guess i dont understand the problems some are having. ski

skidooboy said:
you guys had me concerned, so i filled my trail tank to check for leaks. mine was bought early in the summer, and i just put fuel in it. i have no leaks. the fit issue on my mtx is really not that bad.

did the company change o-ring suppliers or diameter this year? are you guys installing them and not having them in the groove and cutting them? over tightening them, under tightening?
i am not having any issues at this time and, i am using the o-rings sent with the tank, not the oem ones.

i guess i dont understand the problems some are having. ski

The TrailTank was designed on the 08 nytro and for some reason Yamaha have changed the sending unit plate design. The roll on the plate that goes onto the tank is actually different then last years model. Why did Yamaha change this? Who knows? It is thicker causing the o-ring not to squeeze and seal causing a gas leak. I have this problem but not for long. Seth is sending out the thicker o-ring now. Great guy to deal with.
I was going to modify it with the use of a file but rather this route.
Minor issues.

so am i understanding this correctly the 09 sleds are having issues, and the 08's are not? ski

On the 09's it seems Yamaha changed the dimensions of some stuff. The trail tanks were originally made using info from the 08 tanks

skidooboy said:
so am i understanding this correctly the 09 sleds are having issues, and the 08's are not? ski

There is also a coolant line on the MTX that is not on the short track, that interferes with the placement of the tank. Seth expects tanks to address this issue will be ready in December.

Back