• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tread GPS Installed On Sidewinder

Derek Fosbury

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder S-TX GT
2023 AC T-Cat EPS w/ATAC
I installed the Garmin Tread GPS using the Arctic Cat Trail mount kit over the weekend. Besides the ridiculous wiring instructions (they suggest cutting the ends off of the wires going into the accessory outlet and then splice with butt connectors - really hard to do given the short lengths involved - just get a male end instead and crimp that onto the supplied harness instead :)), it's really straightforward, and is pretty seamless once done.

Really bright for daytime riding, and auto-switches to a good night-time mode when dark. Works great so far, easy to use for trail navigation :)

Attachments

• 20220209_165042.jpg
    20220209_165042.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 451

Nice job! Your going to find these GPS gadgets are spectacular. I used Garmin Basecamp app to design routes...if I can do it anyone can. The amazing thing with this is if a trail is closed and you got to detour the GPS automatically reroutes..SO much better than looking at a map every intersection. I use a Garmin Montana 680t with Trailmasters, for around here its a great combination. Good luck with your navigations Derek!!

It's already come in handy a couple of times. Was way away from home on new-to-me trails, and definitely would have gotten lost with the poor signage. The GPS was great to keep me on the right trail.

The other unexpected benefit is the track history. It came in handy when coming home back across the lake during a white-out. Was easy to find my way with that feature!

I had a garmin gps last year, I had trouble getting the zoom to show me what I wanted, but loved it anyways. I went with the Ns1 gauges this year. When my stx gt gets here, I will be adding a ns1 to that as well, it's my understanding that the 2 gauges should be able to track each other which will give my wife confidence in the trail without being on my tail light.

I looked at the NS1 as well. How do you find the brightness on bright days?

I like the tracking feature as well. The Tread also has the group ride, and if someone doesn't have a GPS, they can install the Tread app and join the riding group as well.

For the zoom, I just turned off the auto-zoom and set it to what I'm comfortable with.

By zoom, I mean that when running track maps, I couldn't see what town I was coming up to, as well as I like to have more of an overview but not to much lol. Couldn't find that happy meduim lol.

Ns1 brightness has not been a problem

I tried the Garmin Nuvi, too small for me . I couldn't read squat. Also couldn't seem to pan out very far.

Nice looking setup! Going to look into getting something and this one looks pretty good.

garmin ZUMO. is fully waterfroof and ment for outdoors on motor cycle and glove friendly touch screen.

Attachments

• muff2.jpg
    muff2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 424
Racy what's your feedback on your new sled ?
Comparing it to a 2008 Apex SC at 240HP. I did like the Apex motor with the SC. It was quick and very responsive. It did not ride or handle anywhere near the Winder.

The Winder hooks very hard even when stock. I have 192 studs at 1 1/2 inches. I mapped it at 900km and now have 270 HP. Spent the day at Hurricane Dave's shop and got it mapped & changed the top gear to a needle bearing gear and also got the shaft saver.

So far I really like it after 1,500 KM. I have ridden it in Quebec and got a lot of looks because most of the sledders only know about Skidoos and the color is different than anything out there. Still don't have the sled dialed/set up quite the way I want it. Tried Snowtrackers which I had for 10 years and worked great on the Apex but the model number I received on TY is different than what I received from Snowtracker. They did not work on the Winder, really hard to steer when going slow and a little scary at speeds. The Snowtracker seemed to me to be way to far in front of the spindle. Now I have Woodys 8 inch slim jims. I need to put a little more weight on them as they push in the tight corners.

I installed the Garmin Tread GPS using the Arctic Cat Trail mount kit over the weekend. Besides the ridiculous wiring instructions (they suggest cutting the ends off of the wires going into the accessory outlet and then splice with butt connectors - really hard to do given the short lengths involved - just get a male end instead and crimp that onto the supplied harness instead :)), it's really straightforward, and is pretty seamless once done.

Really bright for daytime riding, and auto-switches to a good night-time mode when dark. Works great so far, easy to use for trail navigation :)
Finally received my Garmin Tread mount that‘s been on back order since last Nov for my ‘22 T-cat that I haven’t gotten yet. LOL.
So what your saying is just crimp a make end on the wire and plug it into the accessory harness?

Finally received my Garmin Tread mount that‘s been on back order since last Nov for my ‘22 T-cat that I haven’t gotten yet. LOL.
So what your saying is just crimp a make end on the wire and plug it into the accessory harness?
Crimp male spade-type connectors (1 smaller than the other) onto the supplied bare-wires on the harness supplied with the mount. These will connect to the wires from the sled that you disconnect from the 12v accessory plug on the dash. The mount harness has new connectors with ends on them that will then go to the 12v accessory dash plug. The harness is really just a splitter. You'll see what I mean when you go to do it.

Really sorry you haven't gotten your sled - that sucks. I'm batting .500... got my S-TX, my L-TX GT was cancelled :(.

Crimp male spade-type connectors (1 smaller than the other) onto the supplied bare-wires on the harness supplied with the mount. These will connect to the wires from the sled that you disconnect from the 12v accessory plug on the dash. The mount harness has new connectors with ends on them that will then go to the 12v accessory dash plug. The harness is really just a splitter. You'll see what I mean when you go to do it.

Really sorry you haven't gotten your sled - that sucks. I'm batting .500... got my S-TX, my L-TX GT was cancelled :(.
Thanks for all your help Derek.. Greatly appreciated. That’s somewhat good that you got half of what you ordered. Lol
I don’t believe I’ll see my T-cat till early March but I’m still going to take it. I’m not going through this all again for another 10% increase in price. I’ll take my 60th Anniversary edition and run Plus I really looking forward to the EPS.. Take Care..

I ordered my Tread and mount in April. Received the GPS in I believe July and the mount about two weeks ago. Same situation, no L-TX GT EPS to put it on yet.....it is scheduled for the second half of April (of course I have no real expectations that it will actually be delivered then and am hoping to be able to understand any available options should they cancel the order or offer something for 2023 that is substantively different). I did load the VMMapping files on the Tread and I like how it works.

Back