• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tri Hub Failure

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I have a 2016 XTX with about 4,000 miles on it, and this weekend was the best conditions of the winter, riding trails and off trail with 2-3 feet of fresh powder. On the way back to camp, I started feeling a vibration, faint but definitely there. I thought it might be just my imagination, but I had another XTX rider get on it, and he felt the same thing, a mild vibration coming up from the skid through our feet. I thought I would run it and see if it got more "pronounced" so I could tell what it was, but my stepson has a 2013 AC XF1100 with about 6,000 miles on it. He was riding the same day in another group, and his Tri Hub blew up on him. The bolt broke off, and the Tri Hub is sitting in the skid cock-eyed. Aside from the Tri Hub, it looks like there was some damage to the track with the nubs being worn off in places. That is not something I want to experience with my sled!

He said he didn't feel any vibrations or warnings before it blew, but I am wondering if what I am feeling in my sled might be the beginnings of a Tri Hub bearing failure? I ran it for a few miles the next day, and it seems like there is no, or less, vibration when the sled is cold (has not been run any distance) and then is more noticeable after a few miles of running. Do the bad bearings in a Tri Hub "heat up" before failure? Are the bearings on the other wheels on the skid the same cheap Chinese bearings, and prone to failure like the Tri Hub? Any other places to look for the cause of the vibrations?

Thanks in advance!

With your mileage you're pushing The life expectancy of that tri Hub I would just replace it when you have the skid out for summer maintenance as well as any other wheels that feel bad. The OEM tri hub assy is very reasonably priced ($40ish) or you can go with more expensive options with an aftermarket replacement.

Last edited:
My Tri hub finally failed at 8100 miles.
Mostly Canada riding, really didn’t feel anything. Had the 4th wheel kit installed since new.
Do a visual and you’ll see the bearings come apart. Tri hub, and shaft was changed because it grooved it bad.

My tri-hub failed at 1,500 miles. Pure junk, amazed you have that many miles on it but you are on borrowed time. I'd consider replacing it and beef it up with a Larson 4th wheel kit or a J&T Products kit.

I doubt you'd feel much of a vibration from the tri-hub but it's probably time to replace the bearings in it before a failure occurs. All the idler wheels have replaceable bearings and the larger upper idler bearings have been known to fail also. There are a lot of things that can cause a vibration but if you're feeling it more in the footboards I'd be concerned with the clutch side drive bearing going out.

Grizz, thanks for the warning about the clutch side drive bearing; I will have to take it in to the dealer and have them go over it.

Including my Grandson's Viper, I have three Vipers, all with a fair amount of mileage on them, and it sounds like they should all get new tri-hubs this off season. It looks like AC has done away with the tri-hubs; is it too soon to tell whether the new system will be an option for replacement rather than just installing a new tri-hub?

Does anyone know why they called these tri hubs? They are pretty much 2 plastic cogs/Wheels bolted together. 2 Bearings. Tri means 3 But no matter how you look at it I only see 2. Is the third one invisible?

:dunno:

I serviced skid and replaced my tri hub 2 years ago, now it has removable bearings likely need clean & repack or just replace again as now over 3k miles so about twok since last service. I do also have the two outer wheels of a4 wheel kit.

I believe they call it a tri hub as with just two bearings they try to support the whole inner belt of the track as though there were three wheels.

I have never had a 'failure" just some rough rolling bearings led to the changes I made. Hope to remove skid and have a look before next season.

Does anyone know why they called these tri hubs? They are pretty much 2 plastic cogs/Wheels bolted together. 2 Bearings. Tri means 3 But no matter how you look at it I only see 2. Is the third one invisible?

Just maybe because the wheels are held together by 3 spokes......Just maybe! ;)!

tri-hub.JPG

Tri-hub replacable bearing #6004
tri-hub bearing.JPG

Last edited:
The tri-hub's 6004 bearing is also used in the smaller idler wheels. The two larger upper idler wheels use 6006 bearings.

Because they tri to last 1000 miles but cannot the 14's we're awful but I am not having anymore luxk with JT ir turbo dynamics 4 wheel kits I have broke the outside wheel bolt of of each of them.

Back