• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tri Moto help - Need suggestions

rbig18

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper ltx se
I have 1983 Tri Moto 200EK (Shaft drive). It was a little hard to start and kicked back sometimes when starting with the recoil. I broke down and replaced the starter clutch so I could start it easier. It hasn't helped. Here is what is happening and hope someone has some ideas:

1. It tries to start. Hit the start button it fires and sounds like it will go but dies almost immediately.
2. If I give it even a little throttle while starting it dies and kicks back.
3. I was able to get it going 1 or 2 times since starter clutch replacement but takes forever. Ran great once started.

Things I have done.
1. Cleaned carb and adjusted everything to spec.
2. Chaecked that flywheel and cam gear are aligned perfectly
3. Adjusted cam gear tensioner to spec
4, Adjusted Intake and exhaust valves to with-in spec (they were already but tried to open intake a tad but didn't help)

The plug gets almost immediately black just trying to start it.

I have not checked compression yet (tester is at the cabin) but I will. Given that it did start and run I am thinking compression is at least ok.
I also still need to hook a timing gun up and check timing but since I can't get it started don't think I can check it. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust timing anyway.

Anybody have another idea?

I have 1983 Tri Moto 200EK (Shaft drive). It was a little hard to start and kicked back sometimes when starting with the recoil. I broke down and replaced the starter clutch so I could start it easier. It hasn't helped. Here is what is happening and hope someone has some ideas:

1. It tries to start. Hit the start button it fires and sounds like it will go but dies almost immediately.
2. If I give it even a little throttle while starting it dies and kicks back.
3. I was able to get it going 1 or 2 times since starter clutch replacement but takes forever. Ran great once started.

Things I have done.
1. Cleaned carb and adjusted everything to spec.
2. Chaecked that flywheel and cam gear are aligned perfectly
3. Adjusted cam gear tensioner to spec
4, Adjusted Intake and exhaust valves to with-in spec (they were already but tried to open intake a tad but didn't help)

The plug gets almost immediately black just trying to start it.

I have not checked compression yet (tester is at the cabin) but I will. Given that it did start and run I am thinking compression is at least ok.
I also still need to hook a timing gun up and check timing but since I can't get it started don't think I can check it. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust timing anyway.

Anybody have another idea?

Are you sure the choke is working and or is not stuck?

Are you sure the choke is working and or is not stuck?

or the needle is hanging open. have you tried starting it with the fuel shut off? my big bear was sinking the float because of a bad needle.

any results?

Back