• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to decide X-TX-LE, L-TX-LE or ST-X

ronzx9

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder L-TX-LE, 2016 Grand Touring SE 1200
Ready to jump off the Ski-Doo ship like others have and move to a Sidewinder. I've been checking out the sleds and I really like 3 and they are mentioned above. I ride a lot of groomed trails however I like the idea of the 1.75" track on the X-TX for extra traction and off trail excursions here and there. Most of my riding is on the open high speed trails of Quebec so I don't want something that pushes through corners. I want the sled to turn when I ask it to.

I love the orange and grey package on the X-TX but I can't seem to find that particular sled with the QS3 shocks. What I'm wondering is how much handling do you give up with the X-TX vs the L-TX? Does the slightly different shock package make much difference? Should I just plan on buying the curve or 6.9 pilots as well? Are the Arctic Cat skis any better than the Yamaha? What about buying a ST-X and upgrading the shocks since it comes with a lot of trail friendly options?

My current sleds are both 1200 Doos. One is a 2011 GSX SE and the other is a 2016 Grand Touring SE. I like them both but long for the big end pull of the Turbo. A typical week of riding covers 12-1500 miles as long as there is good snow so a comfortable seat and good wind protection is essential. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.
Thanks
ronzx9

Are you talking about 2017 models? I don't think there was a 141 XTX Le version in 2018. I have a 2017 xtx Le 137 which is pretty much the same as the 2018 xtx Se 137 except for the seats, both these models also have the 1.75' backcountry tracks and QS3 shocks. I can't enough about how awesome these shocks are and I can say the next sled I buy will have the same shocks. Personally I would buy the sled with the QS3 shocks and then add a windshield and luggage options rather than buying the ST DX model and then wishing I had the better shocks as shocks are very expensive to buy verses a windshield. Which ever model you choose I think you will be very happy with and as your currently riding the 1200 ski doo which is a really good sled also, I don't think it would be a big transition in getting use to a Sidewinder chassis.

Ron I have the XTX 137 LE with the QS3 shocks and I really like it. I did however swap out the track for a Ice Attack pre studded because I wanted the safety factor for Ice but don't want to use studs. Many say that you should get the QS3R shocks for the extra money but I think that is debatable and in my case I don't care either way. I don't mess with my shock settings as much as others do and I never messed with my rebound adjustments on any of my sleds that had it because when I did I had mixed results. I do like the three easy adjustments on my QS3 shocks and I think you would be very happy with either QS3 shock options. I'm also a big fan of the 137" track just because I feel the SW needs it for all that power and the extra length tunnel is also a plus when touring. There are others who prefer the 129" but this is also debatable and just our opinions. I put the higher shield, handguards and handguard mirrors on mine along with the 4th wheel option on the rear axle. This year I'm doing some clutching stuff. I think you will be very happy with whatever you choose and the performance difference between the SW and our 1200's is incredible.

Has anyone put qs3's from a ltx on a xtx. I would imagine the fronts would work but not sure if the rear would?

Has anyone put qs3's from a ltx on a xtx. I would imagine the fronts would work but not sure if the rear would?
I would think that they would fit on the 137" rear suspension since that is what's on the LTX. I don't know if they would fit on the longer XTX rear.

I moved from Doo to Yamaha this year, trading in a 17 Renegade 850 for a 18 RTX LE 50th Anniversary. The build quality is not even close- hands down Yamaha. The Renegade was a lot of fun last year, but the simplicity of this 4 stroke- no oil etc, build quality and the performance is the selling point for me. I test drove a dealers 17 DX for a day, so I could compare Doo and Yammie. I also grabbed a new 17 LTX SE Sidewinder this fall- great offer from Yamaha on leftover 17's, to go with the 18. The 18 RTX LE 50th was purchased in April for the tight, busy trails I would run in the Muskokas. Unfortunately, for employment purposes, I've now transferred to Manitouwadge- deeper snow and much more wide open running, so I'm told. The Yamaha dealer "says" he tried to get another Yamaha dealer to swap their unsold 18 LTX LE 50th Anniversary , so I could have a 137 track up here- remarkably no such luck....
I wish that I could have gotten the QS3's on the 17- perhaps next year. The wife will be driving the 18 RTX most of the time, so if the shocks make her happier and keep her on the trails with me longer, then it's a pretty simple trade off. I am studding both tracks, adding 4th wheels and upping the carbide, but not changing skis until I have a season of running to see if it's necessary.

Hey Ron, welcome! :welc:

Lots of us over here as you may recognize from Dootalk and 1200s...

Lots of good info here, I am a 129 guy so I would not rule out a 129" if I were you. If you want better transfer like a DOO you will want a RTX.

Problem now is, you are not able to buy an LE model with the top of line Qs3R shocks. The XTX has decent shocks for sure,but they are a step below (Qs3- NO Rebound) and no Kashima, but most importantly the CENTER shock is a basic HPG only. Same as Tcat but at a better MSRP then Tcat. XTX does have the big lug track but you may end up not happy with 1.75 on trail. It becomes very tough to stud too IMO due to length of stud needed. The 1.25 rip2 does very well in most conditions, except deep powder obviously.

You're in Ohio I see....you might end up calling around and finding a lightly used LE model traded in, or a DEMO model maybe. I know my dealer has some nice traded LEs and Don himself has his own DEMO LE LTX with lots of goodies at a huge savings from new pricing, and all of them have 5 yrs warranty(used ones would be down to 4 yrs now) so its hard to not consider a used one with low miles. Mainly cause you just cannot order a NEW LE.

You wont be able to buy the shocks for cheap to get the LE Qs3R shocks, it will cost ya for sure.

Dan
:Rockon:

Last edited:
As far as the shocks go either of the Qs3 shocks are a step up from the Doo Xpkg shocks. I think you can find LE models because most dealers order extras under different names.

I really wanted the XTX LE and was talked into the LTX LE. The shocks are the boss for sure but I think if you want transfer AND more than a fraction of the time to get in deeper snow I would give a hard look at the XTX LE.

If you want to be able to flick the front in the air AND stricktly ride trails. RTX.

I don't regret my decision because as much as I want to off trail the ice Cobra is better suited to the reality of my riding than the 1.75 unstudded track would be.

I only rode my sled with the 1.75 track for a few miles in some deep wet snow and it rocked! I couldn't believe how that track hooked up and just launched that sled. The problem for me is I'm a groomed trail rider and didn't really want the XTX but that's the only LE model with the QS3 shocks I could get at the time. It all worked out for me anyway since I would have swapped out the stock track on the LTX for the Ice Attack anyway and the XTX LE saved me about 700 bucks over the LTX LE.

Ron,
Sounds as though a LTX-LE would be the perfect sled for you. Search until you find one for the good QS3R's. I'd call the XTX more of a 50-50 sled? What ever you do, you want those good shocks and of course the heated seat is a bonus too.

And welcome to the Yamaha side and TY!

Thanks for all of your feedback it is much appreciated! I wish the LTX came in a different color but since I do 90% of my riding on trail that sled and swapping to a deeper lug prestudded track sounds like where I'll be looking. Unless a super sweet deal comes along on a 129.

Are you talking about 2017 models? I don't think there was a 141 XTX Le version in 2018. I have a 2017 xtx Le 137 which is pretty much the same as the 2018 xtx Se 137 except for the seats, both these models also have the 1.75' backcountry tracks and QS3 shocks. I can't enough about how awesome these shocks are and I can say the next sled I buy will have the same shocks. Personally I would buy the sled with the QS3 shocks and then add a windshield and luggage options rather than buying the ST DX model and then wishing I had the better shocks as shocks are very expensive to buy verses a windshield. Which ever model you choose I think you will be very happy with and as your currently riding the 1200 ski doo which is a really good sled also, I don't think it would be a big transition in getting use to a Sidewinder chassis.
Agree! The QS3R shocks on the LTX-LE are the ticket, period.

Agree! The QS3R shocks on the LTX-LE are the ticket, period.
Budman doesn't have the R shocks he has the regular QS3 shocks like my sled. I haven't had the opportunity to try the R shocks myself and I haven't heard of a real comparison between them and the regular but I can say the regular QS3 shocks are amazing. If the only reason to get the R is for rebound adjustment then I'm fine with just the regular ones. The ride of my SW with the QS3 shocks blows my Xpkg 1200 away. I was amazed at how well they perform.

Back