• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to get speedo recalibrated?????

nhmm700

ok guys and gals, I have a 2015 mtx le 153". At around 3600 miles my 2.6 powerclaw track shredded. Since vipers didn't have much top end I decided to make a few changes. I first changed the 7 tooth drivers to 8, I then installed a 1 3/4" backcountry track vs the 2.6 that it came with. It certainly seemed to pick up quite a bit on the big end, but unfortunately the speed on speedo and mileage went the opposite way. I have ridden with a few new ski doo's and polaris's and I seem to read 13-14 miles per one hundred miles less than them. I registered 187 and they registered 216 miles. Does anyone know if the pick up that is glued to chain case cover is different for all model vipers? I was looking at sidewinder part numbers since that is close to the setup they use. Also mph on speedo is like 77-78 but sled seems much faster than that. Have not been able to GPS it.

Thanks Dan

Dan,

The difference is in the ECU programming. The Viper ECU's have different programming in them for the various models depending on which drivers the sled came with from the factory.
In theory the dealer could be able to reprogram it for you, however I don't think that the Yamaha software will allow them to change the speedo calibration.

There may be a work around though. EVO can reprogram your ECU for you and put in 2014 base programming. The 2014 MTX sleds came with 8 tooth driver's from the factory and by installing 2014 base programming it should have the correct speedometer calibrations for your driver's.

Bill

Dan,

The difference is in the ECU programming. The Viper ECU's have different programming in them for the various models depending on which drivers the sled came with from the factory.
In theory the dealer could be able to reprogram it for you, however I don't think that the Yamaha software will allow them to change the speedo calibration.

There may be a work around though. EVO can reprogram your ECU for you and put in 2014 base programming. The 2014 MTX sleds came with 8 tooth driver's from the factory and by installing 2014 base programming it should have the correct speedometer calibrations for your driver's.

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. Now here are other concerns. My 15 had the update flash done to it. Is there any chance the base 14 programming will give me start issues? Starter kickback problems? If none of these are possible how much would the flash itself cost?

Thanks Dan

Dan,
The price varies with the state of tune/mods to your sled https://evopowersports.com/snowmobile-performance/yamaha/viper/ecu-programming

As far as starter kick back issues are concerned, I never had an issue with the original factory 2014 tune or the EVO stage 2 flash with a 2014 base tune. Some sleds did it, while others like mine did not.
If your sled had the kick back issue, I would ask EVO if they can address the kick back concern while still giving you the 2014 base flash.

HTH
Bill

Last edited:

Back