• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to identify broken piece

Smithsco

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder S-TX
Hey Guys,

Just bought a used 2020 Sidewinder S-TX, and when I got home, was going over the machine, and found what looks like something broken off the machine (was in the tool bag) - any idea?

Sent a note to the previous owner, but no reply yet

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• Sidewinder Part # 1.jpg
    Sidewinder Part # 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Sidewinder part # 2.jpg
    Sidewinder part # 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 148

Looks to be a broken hook for the rear suspension torsion springs.

agree, never seen one do that. Why would they keep it?

That is what they call a "Hook" part # 8LN-G7446-00-00. The front of the torsion spring fits & slides in there.
I've never seen that break although they do wear with high mileage.

You guys don't ride enough apparently. Seen 2 break in the last 2 years. Not on my sled but others. I replace mine every other year.
:oops: 25k on procross chassis, never seen it or even heard of it? Until Today @ 707 am

Let me clarify. Not on this sled. One was a skidoo, the other was a Yamaha 2-up. But they can break, and when they do, it's a show stopper. I carry a spare with me.

Let me clarify. Not on this sled. One was a skidoo, the other was a Yamaha 2-up. But they can break, and when they do, it's a show stopper. I carry a spare with me.
Show stopper indeed. I could see that for sure. Bet it could f$&@“ up the track?

Show stopper indeed. I could see that for sure. Bet it could f$&@“ up the track?
On the Yamaha the torsion spring went right through the track. Luckily it didn't screw up the track other than a hole in it. Had to engineer a fix in the middle of nowhere Quebec. Luckily we as a group carry a lot of parts, bolts, nuts etc. Got us to a dealer and fixed it right.

On the Yamaha the torsion spring went right through the track. Luckily it didn't screw up the track other than a hole in it. Had to engineer a fix in the middle of nowhere Quebec. Luckily we as a group carry a lot of parts, bolts, nuts etc. Got us to a dealer and fixed it right.
Lucky it wasn’t worse. I could see this part on a 2 up going for sure. And it’s kinda like the site glass on the chain case. I never had a issue in 3 procross sleds. Lots of miles. But it’s happened to some. Wonder if that could be a bad plastic batch or molding process.? Either way I can’t imagine that happening at a fairly high rate of speed. Yikes.

If i haven't broken it, it's RARE! Lol
I actually have greased those since the 80's and have never had an issue.

agree, never seen one do that. Why would they keep it?
My guess...it broke on a trip. Previous owner was able to source a new one and instead of just throwing the broken one in the woods he did right thing by putting it in his sled for proper disposal.....then forgot it was there.

Back