• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to stay warm

Good choice on the long underwear. Under Armour 3 or 4 are great also. Yamaheaters for your hand warmers are a great addition. A tekvest will cut wind on body to zero, both for cold and body abuse, less tired less cold!

Get one big @$$ windshield like this for her.
maxresdefault.jpg

Late to the discussion, but like the military and cold weather camping has taught me: Layers, its all about layers. 1st against skin layer is a silkweight wicking layer, like the most basic of under armor (that's where under armor came from, its the wicking layer for under body armor for the military made by Pelham, Under Armor spun off from there to make consumer goods). So real thin and light wicking layer, every walmart has dry weave stuff for like $5-$10 for a top or bottom. Next layer is a light weight poly fleece, like polartec 100 or 200, no 300. This is the sacrificial layer, it takes the wicked off moisture from the base and distributes it for evaporation, again a trip to walmart for a medium weight 1/4 zip for 15-20. Last layer for a sled would be a good insulated purpose made sled jacket, or a polar tec 300 jacket followed by a good hardshell jacket to windproof and protect the layers. Adding a tekvest has eluded me, sometimes I'm dying its so warm, and othertimes I'm a little chilled. I'll get my layers dialed in with it this year.

People looked at me sideways when I was riding my ECWCS level 6 hardshell last year, I was warm as hell, even cracking pit zips and trying to scoop air, but with the digital camo pattern I'm sure it looked all military and goofy against all that blue.

I saw boots came up and we've been using Choko EVA boots, they weigh like nothing, you can actually walk in them, and they are warm as hell, I wear only a pair of lightweight wool socks anything heavier and my feet sweat like crazy. Place just north of us in Parish sells them for $70 a pair.

Last edited:
Personally I think the outer layer is the most important. I have always struggled to stay warm and used multiple layers including wool base layer followed by a few mid layers. I still struggled to stay warm. This was using a lined FXR jacket. I have since switched to a Klim jacket. I went riding today in single digits wearing nothing under the jacket except for a long sleeve thin base layer and never got remotely cold. This klim gear with goretex is legit!
It's nice to ride an be able to move! No more layers! Klim is supposedly waterproof as well, the fxr always left me wet. Worth the extra cost!

x2 on the Klim...more expensive...but worth it. I rode in-32C for 2.5 hrs a few yrs ago, to get to truck. Who knows what the windchill was as we were cruising. Klim jacket with only a Merino wool long sleeve under neath, and a very light weight fleece ($5 from Mardens), over that. Coldest day ever on a sled for me. I had my Yamaheaters on full power, dumbo ears on my hand guards, and my pinkies were cold...but the rest of me was warm.

Klim solstice 3.0 base layer is really good. In addition a Mac daddy wind shield will do wonders for her.

I have the smallest windshield made for my sidewinder. The other day all I wore was sweat pants, a t shirt and a long sleeve light weight under armour and tek vest under a set of klim kewenaw...good to go, and I have poor circulation.... I always struggled to stay warm until I got a set of klim.

Icebreakers 260 merino base layer, not cheap though.

Back