• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to widen my ski stance but...

wheel10

Country
USA
Snowmobile
phazer
I'm trying to move both spacers to the inside of the ski to widen the stance. I back out the bolt and take the ski off but the spacers won't budge. Is there a collar or something that runs the inside the spacers and bolt opening that has to be punched out first? Or are my spacers just that rusted into place that they need more persuasion? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

There is a smaller diameter rod that runs through the spindle/knuckle, and the spacers sit on the outside of that. I tried to narrow my stance a few years ago and wondered the same thing you are. I tried tapping on them with a hammer, and had no luck so I finally used a hacksaw to cut just outside of the washer that sits next to the knuckle/spindle. Once the outer pieces were off, I could then push the rod out of the spindle. In my case, cutting the spacers and the rod that the ski bolt goes through didn't matter because I was going to build all new parts for it anyway. I was surprised at how tightly rusted the whole mess was, it didn't seem like there was any other way to remove it at the time. I now use ample grease on any and all ski pivot, spacers, sleeves, etc. to prevent this from happening again. If it helps any, the diameter of the inner rod that the spacers sit on is a little over .600" so if you are able to remove the entire spindle/knuckle from the machine, you could then try to press the inner rod out of the spacers, using a socket or something of similar diameter. Good luck!

you want them on the outside to widen the stance. inside narrows it.

U could try soaking with penetrating oil for a while then use grips to grab spacer and try to twist backandforth to try and get moving...
or place one hammer against one sede of spacer and tap other side with anouther hammer.to see if will lossen...
wow my spelling is terrible.. could try a torch but id rather not put much heat near suspension parts tho..

Running the spacers both to the inside or outside really accelerates spindle bushing wear, which is already pretty bad. Personally I'd get the spindle repair kit from Upbushman if you want to run it that way.

Wow you guys now have me thinking that I will put the spacers back to original position and re grease.

Back