• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner 3 on RTX

Northbound

Country
USA
Snowmobile
NA
Recently picked up a 08 RTX and immediately noticed the issue with darting. I realize the darting is likely caused by more then just the skis, but I figure it's a good place to start. The sled currently has the stock skis and I am looking to upgrade. I found a pair of tuner 3 skis and was wondering if anyone was using them on their Phazers and if so, what they thought of them? Also my track is studded.
Thanks

Recently picked up a 08 RTX and immediately noticed the issue with darting. I realize the darting is likely caused by more then just the skis, but I figure it's a good place to start. The sled currently has the stock skis and I am looking to upgrade. I found a pair of tuner 3 skis and was wondering if anyone was using them on their Phazers and if so, what they thought of them? Also my track is studded.
Thanks
Never tried them on Phazer. I really like the 6.9 pilots on Phazer.

FYI - there was never a Tuner 3 ski run stock on the Phazers models (only the original style Tuner skis ever came stock on them ) - so there is no ski rubber/mount that fits Tuner 3 style skis to a Phazer or Apex/Vector/Nytro/Venture properly. Tuner skis that came stock on SR Viper/Sidewinder have the ski bolt hole 9 mm higher on the ski than the Yamaha Japan models Tuner skis - what you will find if you try to bolt them on a Yamaha Japan model is that the stock ski rubber will not fit securely and most likely could be pulled right out - I'm sure you could come up with some kind of thick shim to put under it to help hold it in place but don't think they will just bolt on and be good to go - same goes true with trying to mount Yamaha Japan model Tuners onto SR Viper/Sidewinder - they will not work as the lower ski hole location will not allow the rubber to fit.

Shimming the back of the ski rubbers and Bergstrom ski savers go a long way in reducing darting. The ski savers give you more effective keel so you can loosen the limiter strap one hole and also don't let your wear bars cut so deep. Many people tighten up the limiter strap to get the Phazer to turn because the stock skies don't have enough keel to bite in looser conditions, which in turn causes more darting on straights due to excessive ski pressure. Shimming the rubbers takes pressure off the front of the ski and adds more to the back which helps the skis stay out of others ruts.

You are correct, after researching it they are not compatible, I'll have to check out the pilots.
The Tuner 3s may not work but as a low cost alternative compared to aftermarket skis you may want to look into the original style Tuner skis for your sled which are the same skis coming on the newer Phazers. For reference you can put together a set with carbides for around $245-275 depending upon which carbides you use.

Back