• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner or Curve XS Skis

Seavey82

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro XTX 1.75
Nytro owners who replaced the Tuner Skis:

I am thinking about switching out my tuner skis on my 13 xtx for a new set of Curve XS with the 4-inch leading edge. I have read several posts about how good the curve skis are on the Nytro but are they better than the tuner skis? The tuner ski was a game changer for the nytro from what I have read. I have only been on a Nytro with tuners, so I have no real-world comparison.

I guess what I'm asking is it going to be worth the extra cost for the curves instead of just replacing the tuners with new tuners? (my current tuners could stand replacing). I am confident with the tuners and find they dart hardly at all, but the steering is heavy. I'm running 6-inch carbide on inside and 4 on the out which may be causing the heavy steering, but the sled goes where the skis are pointed. I have adjusted the preload on the front shock under the track to get some weight off the skis but if I go to much the sled pushes like crazy is this the nature of the tuners? Will the curve XS reduce the steering effort and go where they are pointed? I appreciate any advice from owners who have switched out the tuners for something else.

Curves will not do anything to lighten up your steering. If anything, I think they may steer harder. Curves will gain you some flotation in deeper snow compared to stock tuners.

Guys that have tuners I typically just suggest putting snowtrackers on them. They lighten steering effort and will not push.

Beings you say your tuners are worn and in need or replacement I would probably lean towards curves. I have a good used all black set of curve skis in stock right now. I also have used tuner skis if you opt to stick with them.

Tuners push in the loose snow on trails. I would go back to a single keel ski.
I put my stock single keel skis back on my 2010 nytro when my tuners wore out. With the mountain tec front end and single keel skis it handles good.

I've had both the tuners and Curves on my Nytro. I much prefer the Curves. The tuners push in loose snow, and lack the flotation of the Curves. I thing the Curves may make the steering effort a bit higher, but not bad. Steering post mod help the steering effort. Travis makes a kit to reduce the effort as well.

The nytro typically likes a twin keel type ski. Yes - in mushy / loose snow they will push but on a normal packed trail they have good grip and very light steering. The big single keel ski's will have more steering pressure for sure, but can handle decent if you have shoulders like a bear and play with the suspension alot.
MS

Thank you everyone for the info! Lots of nytro knowledge on this site.

Last winter when I picked up the '14 with tuner skis I was able to jump back and fourth to compare my '09 to with curves. The tuners turn very well on a good hard groomed trail and the steering effort is nice and light, surprised me with how well they did actually. By the end of the day when the trails got loose and mealy though, they did push a lot more and any off trail they were kinda useless. The curves are more consistent throughout the day with varying trail conditions and help the Nytro a lot of trail.

Last winter when I picked up the '14 with tuner skis I was able to jump back and fourth to compare my '09 to with curves. The tuners turn very well on a good hard groomed trail and the steering effort is nice and light, surprised me with how well they did actually. By the end of the day when the trails got loose and mealy though, they did push a lot more and any off trail they were kinda useless. The curves are more consistent throughout the day with varying trail conditions and help the Nytro a lot of trail.
your right, the tuners are useless in loose snow...in thick snow expect to sink and absolutely no steering...its not fun to slide off trail due to poor steering and have to shovel out because sled won't turn. Hard pack the tuners are good. Sometimes the groomers don't have a chance to get to all areas and when trails are ungroomed then the tuners are a complete failure...I don't like saying this but its just my experience. Joe

Hated tuners but loved my Curve skis... If you are looking for lighter steering I'd play with the center skid shock pre-load to dial in to desired ski pressure. Overall, the Curve skis handled way better and I ran slim jim dooley's...

Im taking care of hard steering issues but the effort to steer my 2up SW was not that bad, however with tendonitis flareups in the elbow its better to something sooner rather than later. I've just received EPS from GSE, that was after talking with several people who have it so I didn't order it blindly. My biggest problem as stated is float on new snow, some recommend the Curves and another the Mohawks...right now budget is kinda stretched with recent purchases and labor needed to install all the new gear. Hopefully I can come across people using the Mohawks and Curves and see how they "float" on new snow. All I can say and say it again, I don't get that happy feeling when the sled isn't steering right in deeper snow..one thing I'm sure of and that there is an answer. I absolutely love this sled and it's just going to get better with some fine tuning. Joe

Yamaha Mountain or VKpro skis with aggressive snowtrackers, made a world of difference in all conditions compared to the tuners I had, problem solved.

Yamaha Mountain or VKpro skis with aggressive snowtrackers, made a world of difference in all conditions compared to the tuners I had, problem solved.
thanks 20/80, I will check it out. THE 146 track keeps the back end floating pretty well, but the front end bury's ...mountain ski's makes sense.:rocks: Joe

Appreciate the replys sailor joe and 20/80 but I am refering to the Nytro XTX. Looks like most of you like the Curve over the tuners I may give them a shot since I already have the tuners. Thanks for all the info. BTW I see port yamaha has a special on tuners skis with runners for 230 bucks.

Appreciate the replys sailor joe and 20/80 but I am refering to the Nytro XTX. Looks like most of you like the Curve over the tuners I may give them a shot since I already have the tuners. Thanks for all the info. BTW I see port yamaha has a special on tuners skis with runners for 230 bucks.
what I probably have to do is convince my buddy who rides a Ski Doo crossover to stop going down ungroomed trails...I swear he likes seeing my sled buried, I try to tell him I need the 2up for the Misses and she doesn't want her own sled...so trying to get the most out of this predicament is challenging, I just thought better floating skis would do the trick.

Always an interesting question. When I bought my Nytro in 2017 and was about to embark on what I thought was a front end rebuild including skis I asked the same question. Curves or Tuner IIs. Tuner Is are not an option. The answer comes not with the Tuner II skis / plastics but with the skeg system. I went with the full Bergstrom system, triple points inside, wear bars outside, shims, ski savers and reversed new rubbers, oil light bushings, waterproof synthetic grease and spray on adhesive synthetic hinge lubricant. End result is amazing ability to hold any (I mean any) groomed trial line, bar none. So then we have powder, Tuner IIs are narrow, the Nytro 4-stroke front end is not known for its lightness... End result is a diving front end, limited flotation and steering if you "steer" the engine, but if you leverage the rpm / torque curve we enjoy, you can lighten the front end in powder like you do when riding on water, a lot of track / snow movement lightens the front end and counters the dive tendency of the Tuner IIs. My repeated experience in deep snow (3-5' new snow) in Northern Maine, is when the Doos push through breaking trail floating along, and then offer me to make fresh tracks they assume I will be bummed out or stuck... Not. For my setup, get some spin going and the entire sled rides up and the Bergstrom and dual Tuners almost ride the wave but with the same riding the rail feeling of groomed trails, those riding with me on Doos and Curves, etc comment on how do I do it on Tuners, answer is you are de-weighting the skis with rpm and then they are quite predictable. Some here I am sure will say no way, but yes way, with the Bergstrom full setup it works. Without it, when I first bought the sled, no way, diving and no steering in anything over 3".... Ok, my .02 if you ride 60-70% trails.

Back