• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner Ski - Heavy steering how to lighten a bit?

Beenba

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX
I installed the tuner skis last year on my Nytro and love em. Handling is awesome now.

Only issue is my steering is heavier. It really doesnt bother me, other than when I swap sleds for a friends apex and realize how light their steering is, its sooo nice ;)!

I have gone with the 6 square on the inside and 2 round on the outside for each ski.

I'm currently pulled up one hole on the limiter, will lowering it to the lowest hole help lighten the steering?

Or should I grind the 6" carbide down to be like a 4" and try that?

I am 99% trail rider too.

Thanks!

Did you tighten your strap or loosen it? If you tighten it, it will increase ski pressure. Loosening it will loosen ski pressure up. You could try the 4" inchers might help too.

I went from Pilots to tuners (4" and 2") and noticed that the steering effort got heavier on me as well. In the off season I added the star susp (like you have) and had limiters pulled up one hole. I went back to the stock hole setting and the steering got easier/lighter for sure. But-it became a wheelie machine but not where the whole sled would 'stand on end' type of wheelie but more of just the front of the sled/skies would raise off the snow. It was almost like a teeter totter effect. One thing that happened to me when loosening the limiters...since they are not tight anymore...they will flex more and left a bow in the limiters in which the limiters were rubbing on something and ate up/cut through one of the straps. I doubled up the straps using bailer belt to form a second strap and didn't have any problems after that. So...if you loosen the limiters straps make sure you keep an eye on the limiters for wear.

I did 150 miles yesterday with the tuners and the ride was great! I used 4" on the inside and outside and steering was not very difficult and it handled great! :Rockon:

Oh and another thing Beenba...imo that is a lot of carbide you are running especially with the 6" square. I thought 4" and 2" round combo did well.

MCApex44 thanks for the description with the limiter strap. I think I am going to lower it to the longest hole. I find my sled never really wheelies anyways, and I have already done the "double limiter strap" fix so I should be safe. I'm glad it lighted the steering for you so hopefully me too.

I think I will try the limiter first, and then if needed grind the carbide down to 4" and give that a try.

swmichvector said:
loosen up the front springs a half a turn.

Front springs are already set to just snug against the springs when the weight is off the sled. Center shock is tight as can be. Rear springs on soft, everything is pretty much on soft with the star kit.

Tonight I made the limiter strap the longest it can be.
Helped a bit with the heavy steering, but MCApex44 was right the sled is easy to wheelie now. Its not bad, just have to roll on throttle...kinda fun really.
I have a bit more ski lift, but after about 40km tonight I was used to it.

I think I am going to grind the 6" square carbide down to a 4 and round the squareness out a bit and try that.
Im just afraid it will start to push in the corners....maybe i'm being too picky ;)!

Were getting there!

Beenba said:
swmichvector said:
loosen up the front springs a half a turn.

Front springs are already set to just snug against the springs when the weight is off the sled. Center shock is tight as can be. Rear springs on soft, everything is pretty much on soft with the star kit.

Tonight I made the limiter strap the longest it can be.
Helped a bit with the heavy steering, but MCApex44 was right the sled is easy to wheelie now. Its not bad, just have to roll on throttle...kinda fun really.
I have a bit more ski lift, but after about 40km tonight I was used to it.

I think I am going to grind the 6" square carbide down to a 4 and round the squareness out a bit and try that.
Im just afraid it will start to push in the corners....maybe i'm being too picky ;)!

Were getting there!

lol...yes, I thought it was fun also. I think at this point going with less carbide is all you can do other than switching out skis (I had pilots on before the tuners but while the steering effort was easier with the pilots they would push in the fluffy stuff and tight corners). On the tuners, I ran the 4" and 2" round combo and if I remember right I still didn't have any pushing issues to speak of. One other thing we found with the Nytro's was if you adjust your handlebars so they are closer to your body it seemed to ease up the steering effort a bit. Pretty sure its not any actual change to the sled but just being that with the bars closer to you it just gives you more leverage.

Back