• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuner ski modification and machining...will it work?

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
I have a brand new set of tuner skis I got with my winder. Nobody wants them and I know for a fact they are not a good ski setup.

But I am going to machine the ski down and see if I can't get them to maybe handle good, not push in soft snow and not be too aggressive on hard pack.

Thinking of machining the inner rib down of each ski. This will make the ski keel be like a single keel, but offset a little more for cornering and being more stable down the trail.

What do you think?

Good idea. It should in theory reduce the amount of snow packing up between the runners.

IMO, trimming down the outside rib might be better. When going into a corner, the majority of weight will go to the outside ski. But when the skis are turned, the outside ski is actually tilted inward. So leaving the inside rib higher than the outside might allow it to dig in better than if the higher rib was on the outside.

But regardless, the skis are symmetrical. So you could swap the skis around to try which works better ... higher rib to the inside, or the outside.

That might just work out half decent! You maybe onto something with this, making your own custom Yamaha version of a ski doo pilot 5.7, I say go for it. You don’t have anything to lose.

Anything will be an improvement to those skis.bloody sad what we pay for new sleds and the first thing you have to do is swap out skis.go for it ya never know .you may just save people a ton of money .

Tuner ski's work awesome on my Apex.

They sucked on all my Apexs. The will not hold the line in the U.P. type snow. The only sled they worked ok on was the Nytro.

I suck then, 16,763 trouble free tuner miles on my Apex.

You like them, that's your deal.. I hate them, my girlfriend hates them.. all the miles and the people that I ride with hate them. Its your opinion just like you loving the Apex more than a Sidewinder another opinion that's yours. But please don't tell me I have to like them or you will loose. Do I hate you? NO, but don't force your opinion down my throat either.

Dude. Don’t poke the bear. The bear wins.

We’re all on the same team here.

Snowtrackers, zero toe, limiter strap in one hole, adjust/lighten ski pressure until it turns that way you want it to. I've followed that formula on two 2011 apex le's, a 2016 mpi viper ltx-le with tuners, and a 2017 sidewinder ltx-le with tuners.
Same result on every sled -- no hunting or darting and the sleds turn where I point them. I have boxes full of all the other parts that we tried, aftermarket skis, different brands of runners, shims, etc. so it's not like we didn't try almost all the other approaches.
This snowtracker formula is simply the best. My $0.02.

Snowtrackers, zero toe, limiter strap in one hole, adjust/lighten ski pressure until it turns that way you want it to. I've followed that formula on two 2011 apex le's, a 2016 mpi viper ltx-le with tuners, and a 2017 sidewinder ltx-le with tuners.
Same result on every sled -- no hunting or darting and the sleds turn where I point them. I have boxes full of all the other parts that we tried, aftermarket skis, different brands of runners, shims, etc. so it's not like we didn't try almost all the other approaches.
This snowtracker formula is simply the best. My $0.02.

Tuners only worked good for me in the none lake affect snow areas. Any place the snow was sandy and loose the tunnel of the ski would fill up and not hold their line. If I never road in the U.P. I would have left the tuners on the sled. They have their place but they are not the ideal ski for everyone, sorry. Its personal preference.

Good idea. It should in theory reduce the amount of snow packing up between the runners.

IMO, trimming down the outside rib might be better. When going into a corner, the majority of weight will go to the outside ski. But when the skis are turned, the outside ski is actually tilted inward. So leaving the inside rib higher than the outside might allow it to dig in better than if the higher rib was on the outside.

But regardless, the skis are symmetrical. So you could swap the skis around to try which works better ... higher rib to the inside, or the outside.

Definitely going to try both ways. ;)!

That might just work out half decent! You maybe onto something with this, making your own custom Yamaha version of a ski doo pilot 5.7, I say go for it. You don’t have anything to lose.

Thanks man!

If you look at the pilot ski the keels are tapered not flat like the tuner ski if you machine the edge on a angle the same as the pilot it would open up the ski more and it would want to cut through the snow more then try and get up on the snow. Just my thoughts. Royal distributing also has a dorsal plate that you put on inside of ski that pushes on the snow in deep powder when in a turn ( rox speed fx dorsal plate for c&a skis $42.99 can.)

They sucked on all my Apexs. The will not hold the line in the U.P. type snow. The only sled they worked ok on was the Nytro.
Don't know what UP snow is ..but we had 16 in of new snow over a base already barely there with dirt and grass in many places before the snow... trail was groomed but not hardened at all yet. You know.. the type when just two sleds go around a corner huge trenches develop.. well I found the Turners on the 16 xtx vector handled fine.. in fact love this machine.. Someone called me a sucker here for buying it but ...I put the 4k or more I saved into my pocket and will get alot more years of trouble free fun then him. I'm far from a sucker or stupid.. i.e. Master Captain,Craftsman,Master Diver.. Different stokes for different folks..
I'm not a Motocross riding style guy at all so maybe that's the difference.. I went to a Yamaha demo once and couldn't keep up the the pack..ha.. better now I guess but still.. the wife and I just cruise along.. while we let everyone pass us..

Back