• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuning a MCX 430 HP Sidewinder

rxrider

Jan-Ove Pedersen
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2014 Phazer XTX, 2013 Phazer RTX, 2008 Apex RTX, 2007 Warrior, 2006 Attak
I'm working on a friends MCX powered Sidewinder. It's been dynoed at 428 HP. We are going to change out the original track to a track with lower cams for better top end. We have installed TAP primary clutch and we have changed the helix and spring in the secondary clutch, tuning of the clutched will be done later. We will change the bottom gear while we have the chaincase open. My friends sled will be run on race fuel, Sunoco 110 all the time and will be setup accordingly.

The MCX 430 custom kit uses a Borg Warner turbo found in many racing cars. Which one I cannot revel at this time. The kit is a one off and I have to talk to my friend and ask him if Erik at MCX is OK releasing the details on the system.

I will take pictures and post when we have something interesting to show you.

Have been away for some time, great to be back :)

I'm working on a friends MCX powered Sidewinder. It's been dynoed at 428 HP. We are going to change out the original track to a track with lower cams for better top end. We have installed TAP primary clutch and we have changed the helix and spring in the secondary clutch, tuning of the clutched will be done later. We will change the bottom gear while we have the chaincase open. My friends sled will be run on race fuel, Sunoco 110 all the time and will be setup accordingly.

The MCX 430 custom kit uses a Borg Warner turbo found in many racing cars. Which one I cannot revel at this time. The kit is a one off and I have to talk to my friend and ask him if Erik at MCX is OK releasing the details on the system.

I will take pictures and post when we have something interesting to show you.

Have been away for some time, great to be back :)
AWESOME!! missed ya big guy!

Good to hear from you Jan-Ove . Looking forward to hearing what you will come up with.
My offer still stands and still hope we can get together and do some riding in the future
I have thought about writing you for quite sometime now, but life has thrown quite a few curve balls my way.
That being said, I still hope we can make something happen in the future when the timing would work for both of us.

Talk to you later, Dan (Agman 57)

What ECU are you using to control it? Does MCX make a version for the sidewinder that is like a piggy back or more like a flash?
I don't want to answer for @rxrider but I believe they use their MCX box that controls 3 additional injectors. I am hoping to do their Stage 3 kit on a Sidewinder and Thundercat this summer (larger turbo & intercooler to drop charge air temps).

I have got the go to show some pictures of the sled. IT's a 2018 Sidewinder with custom one off MCX430 turbo kit installed. The motor is built to handle the extra stress. It has extra injectors installed in the plenum as usual with MCX kits.

The owner is a good friend of mine. He lives in Sweden, a few miles down the road from Erik Marklund and MCXpress shop. He brought his sled with him to Sweden and MCX this weekend to do some minor adjustments to the build and to install MCX Display Unit.

My friend works for a construction company here in Norway, setting up buildings for the Norwegian Army about 10 miles from my house. On his spare time we work on his sled in my garage.

We have switched out the 1.75" stock track with a Camoplast RipSaw-2 1.5" track, and we have changed lower chaincase sprocket from 51 teeth to 38 teeth aiming for 1.5 gearing ratio to increase top speed. We have also mounted my MCX Display Unit on this sled for datalogging. Initial logging showed that the clutches was off by some 1000 rpms, and the sled was not building the boost we wanted. As a sidenote the sled buildt the same amount of boost at that rpm when we referenced it with the dyno sheets, so we knew the problem had to be in the clutching. Sled has a TAP clutch installed, and came set up according to recommendations from the Norwegian reseller. We studied the written documentation that the clutch came with and the YouTube instructions, and we figured that we wanted to change the added weight pins first. On a Yamaha clutch 1 gram equals about 100 rpms so we went with that and removed 10 grams from the clutch arms. First test showed that we were pretty close and he did not hit the rev limiter. He ran out of time and we have to continue refining the clutch tuning later.

Here's a few pics of the sled.
Pic1: This is a Borg Warner Turbo - sorry I can't remember what model it is, but it's capable to deliver 500+ HP
Pic2: Borg Warner Turbo, changing gears in the chaincase. The oil tank is no longer on the chaincase cover to make room for the rather large turbo and custom exhaust.
Pic3: The Intercooler plenum. I am a bit worried about the small Mitsubishi dump valve as the boost level is 2 bar or 29 psi at max setting, which is where it's set at now. The MCX ECU is installed to the right above the clutch cover. The sled runs on Sunoco 110 octane race fuel.
Pic4: The dyno sheet from MCX. Sled produced 428 HP inside in the MCX garage in room temperature with the dyno set with correction factor of 1 aka no correction. Rev limiter has been moved up and the sled is designed to make maxximum power at 9400 rpms. There are safeguards in place to drop boost and retard timing if the sled overrevs, overboosts, or detects knock.

More to come on the TAP clutch and datalogging.

Attachments

• Sidewinder MCX430.1.jpg
    Sidewinder MCX430.1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Sidewinder MCX430.2.jpg
    Sidewinder MCX430.2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Sidewinder MCX430.3.jpg
    Sidewinder MCX430.3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 366
  • image0000001.jpg
    image0000001.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Good to hear from you Jan-Ove . Looking forward to hearing what you will come up with.
My offer still stands and still hope we can get together and do some riding in the future
I have thought about writing you for quite sometime now, but life has thrown quite a few curve balls my way.
That being said, I still hope we can make something happen in the future when the timing would work for both of us.

Talk to you later, Dan (Agman 57)
Hi Dan, that would be awesome. When the crazy situation goes away I will try to come your way.
My friend Bob is getting older and has slowed down on sledding quite a bit in the later years. Nowadays he is more into his hobbies of hunting and shooting. He is competing at national level on 600Yrds and 1000 Yrds rifle. He has two awesome guns for the competition, he did end up second in his class and in the top ten overall. Damn those are some amazing rifles.
Talk to you later Dan, greetings from Norway.

What ECU are you using to control it? Does MCX make a version for the sidewinder that is like a piggy back or more like a flash?
As far as I can tell the MCX ECU is the generation 5 box. IT's piggyback as you can see in the picture right behind the MCXpress intercooler plenum. The MCX ECU controls 3 injectors inside the MCX Intercooler plenum as is usual with MCX kits. It has the same connector out for datalogging with MCX Display Unit, which we have connected. One annoying thing with the Sidewinder, it cuts power after a few seconds if you do not start the engine. Very annoying that you have to run the sled to download data from the MDU which fills my garage with exhaust, and when it's 0 F outside with gail force winds it gets freezing cold.... grrrrrr.... I hate the Sidewinder because of this. This does not happen on Yamaha sleds, when ignition is on the power is on until the ignition is switched off. Rant OFF

Hi Dan, that would be awesome. When the crazy situation goes away I will try to come your way.
My friend Bob is getting older and has slowed down on sledding quite a bit in the later years. Nowadays he is more into his hobbies of hunting and shooting. He is competing at national level on 600Yrds and 1000 Yrds rifle. He has two awesome guns for the competition, he did end up second in his class and in the top ten overall. Damn those are some amazing rifles.
Talk to you later Dan, greetings from Norway.
Hi Jan-Ove , I will try and find some time to send you a e-Mail in the near future when I have a little extra time and we can catch up
Hope You and your Family are doing well! I bet the girls have really grown up since I wrote you last. Sorry it has been to long.
Take Care and God Bless, Dan

I am really digging that IC. I doubt I will be modding my SW, I just want it to run at this point, waiting on a new motor from yamaha with no ETA. Looks like it goes though! Have you got to ride it much? What are your thoughts compared to the 4 cylinders of fury you have built before :cool:

I am a bit worried about the small Mitsubishi dump valve as the boost level is 2 bar or 29 psi at max setting, which is where it's set at now.

At higher boost levels, the wastegate is working less not more isn't it? As there is less exhaust gas being diverted at higher boost levels.

How are you controlling timing? Sorry if i missed this - the MCX box doesnt do this does it?

Back