• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tuning for Bolt-ons

Snowman871

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2024 Polaris Assault 850
So now that the season is over I’m finally getting around to installing my used bolt-on performance package I bought a couple years back. The setup consists of an AAEN header, AAEN silencer, K&N filters, and a Hauck Fuel Accelerator.

I’ve searched and read as much as a I could around the area of fuel controllers/tuning since that's a new topic to me, so I’d like to start a new thread in hopes to get the most recent information out there for myself and others.

Here’s some of my questions I’m hoping others with experience can chime in on:

1. Based on what I’ve read I assume no matter what tuning system is used it is recommended to install a AFR gauge for observation and tuning purposes?

2. Are there particular readings that should be targeted? Idle, cruise, acceleration, WOT, etc.

3. I’ve seen several AFR gauge/sensor recommendations but would be happy to hear about what people have had the most recent success with. Seems like there are good reviews around the Innovate MTX-L Gauge, Bosch NTK sensor #24320, and AEM 30-4100 Gauge.

4. Has anyone ran Hauck’s Fuel Accelerator or similar style Dobeck fuel controller? Thoughts? I’ve got Hauck’s instructions which are pretty vague, but it seems relatively straight forward to tune each position with an AFR gauge installed.

5. Would there be a benefit to skipping out on the Hauck Fuel Accelerator and just going to a Power Commander with a custom map? My thoughts are that the custom map may be more configurable by a reputable vendor which would lead to better performance? Maybe I wouldn’t “need” an A/F gauge if a vendor has a solid map already developed?

6. Who develops Nytro maps for the Power Commander systems? Based on what I’ve read it looks like Ulmer is the guy to talk to?

Obviously the clutching will need to be redone to match up with the added power, but outside of that am I missing any other big picture items related to a bolt-on setup?

Thanks in advance!

Hurricane performance does power Commander tunes for the nytro along with all the rest of the goodies. I'm running pc5, Hindle header and muffler and air box mod along with clutching. That is supposed to give 18 extra hp. Ulmer has the same setup with different exhaust. That is on a stock motor.

I wouldnt waste your money on an air fuel gauge, not necessary. That hauck fuel accelerator should work fine, but powercommanders are better, just depends how much extra y0u want to spend for almost no gain.

Back