• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Dammage Due to Ice

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Noticed i have damage at the front of my tunnel along the top row of louvres. Must be due to ice build up coming around and compressing at the front of the tunnel.

Saw a post on here months ago about someone posting the same with the front/top of the tunnel and louvres damaged. Wanted to see what others have don't to fix this. I gather the gas tank, and even header would have to come off to bend it back in place.
Any thoughts?
MS

Yamaha had a bulletin for this. The solution is that ice is removed before it gets built up. Will find bulletin after work for you.

When I was laying on my back putting the BarnofParts hose protectors in I noticed the front tunnel/louvers where indeed bent up a little. Being a large old fellow who really isn't that flexible I was starting to get annoyed with my circumstances at that moment. Just reached up with a screwdriver and hook and pulled everything kind of back into place, swore a bit and called it good. Some conditions all sleds build up with ice, part of cost of doing business
After seeing bent up tunnel/louvers can't recommend BOP hose protectors enough, should come stock..

When I was laying on my back putting the BarnofParts hose protectors in I noticed the front tunnel/louvers where indeed bent up a little. Being a large old fellow who really isn't that flexible I was starting to get annoyed with my circumstances at that moment. Just reached up with a screwdriver and hook and pulled everything kind of back into place, swore a bit and called it good. Some conditions all sleds build up with ice, part of cost of doing business
After seeing bent up tunnel/louvers can't recommend BOP hose protectors enough, should come stock..
Nice. Any pics of that mod

I found removing any built up ice packed into tunnel sides AFTER you shut down for night is best. I even put sled on rear stand and run some in forward and reverse. IMO if you don’t watch or do this some you will cause damage the next morning when the ice falls and track grabs it and rams in forward. Rubber hammer tapping gently before riding in AM works also.

I found removing any built up ice packed into tunnel sides AFTER you shut down for night is best. I even put sled on rear stand and run some in forward and reverse. IMO if you don’t watch or do this some you will cause damage the next morning when the ice falls and track grabs it and rams in forward. Rubber hammer tapping gently before riding in AM works also.
That’s basicly what the bulletin says

These things do build up tunnel ice big time. Best to get it out right after shut down. Some of the pieces can be huge. Also causes fraying on sides of track as it passes through lots of ice on sides near top back return idlers.

I also had issues with ice buildup. It was -10° and leaving last stop of the day. A piece of ice let loose a quarter mile down the trail. Thinking it would kick out,I continued for 300'. Had to stop because I could here rubbing on tunnel and slowing down the sled. Reverse cleared it, but next morning checked and noticed a large chunk must lodged on one side of the tunnel, shifted the track over enough to make a ridge on the tunnel by the foot well and started to melt decal. I agree that ice needs to be cleared often, at least kick tunnel at each stop.

No... cant come stock!! that would add 1-1/2 lbs and cost 2.00$ and make the sled expensive! Plus, youll fix it....

Lilrez, I think RockerDan covers this in his build thread as I didn't take any pics. Cleaning out at end of day or before you start is great, but on -30 something icy trails it will build faster sometimes than you think. Will see if I can find pic of tunnel during such a day.

Yea if your off trail I bet it builds way faster then running groomed trails. The track rubbing is another issue with ice build up. The rear tunnel heat exchangers running entire length is not your ice friend. Maybe your motors cool down friend though.

Here:
Sidewinder Ice Buildup.jpg

Attachments

• Ice BuildupS2018-004.PDF
    452.1 KB · Views: 316
Thanks cannondale

Interested to hear from anyone who attempted to fix the tunnel damage

I have flattened louvres and a distorted area as the tunnel fastens to the heat exchanger like the pic.

I get clearing ice overnight but on super cold days it’s tough to prevent chunks from coming around....
Ms

Thanks cannondale

Interested to hear from anyone who attempted to fix the tunnel damage

I have flattened louvres and a distorted area as the tunnel fastens to the heat exchanger like the pic.

I get clearing ice overnight but on super cold days it’s tough to prevent chunks from coming around....
Ms
Yea I had a buddy that we had to stop on trail cause it was chewing his track up. Got quite the chunks off sides. Was really cold and fresh snow on trail. I would just drill the rivets out and replace. Even the Viper takes a hammering up there.

Have you ever been up in that part of the sled?

Gas tank off, heat shield off, likely header has to come off.

Any thing hiding in there that makes the job tricky?
Ms

Back