• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel icing from hot exhaust

TurboJamie

TY 4 Stroke God
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon on their Viper. We were out trail running groomed trails the other day temperature was hovering around tropic -25*C. Dad had complained a couple time his pants were stuck to his tunnel. We took this pic of the ice being created from the heat of the exhaust. Its not nearly as bad as the nytro sleds were but he said its pretty annoying as it happened quite frequently once it started.

The XC riders were complaining about their foot being wet on the race sleds due to the same thing. Ended up riveting a plastic piece to the underside to cover up the very front 8 to 10" of openings. I did it on mine and cut down 75% of the icing.

drumz11 said:
Seriously Jamie? #$%&* Is that a big issue? ;):D ;)!

Not for me I don't have to ride it :p Just wondering if anyone had the experience. It could be isolated to the conditions and the temperature that day. I do know if I wanted to stand up or get off my sled and both my legs were stuck to it, I don't feel I would like that.

Both my XTX and the 800 Pro R I rode with today had a little ice under the seat on the tunnel. Not an issue as I see it compared to what I'm used to seeing on my Z1. It was -31C today. U can see the pics in my "First Ride" thread.

I'm sure there is gonna be ice all over that area due to the exhaust location in some conditions. I will still take that over the old pipes going out the back Yamaha design. Our Vector was a tunnel and skid ice magnet but this exhaust setup holds almost no ice in the tunnel...just on your legs I suppose. :flag:

My kids skidoo 380f has snow and ice there too and they have never bitch about it , it they did I would say its a snowmobile and snow gets on things and builds ice sometimes ...lol...I really don't think it's a big issue ! ...lol.....

When I was riding in about -25 there was a bit of ice build up on mine, not so much on the warmer days. My pants never froze to the ice tho.

I had a Ski-doo do a similar thing near the back of the tunnel. I thought it was a complete pain the butt because thrice was really difficult to remove from the tunnel and running board. I was able to caulk the gaps in the tunnel around the heat exchanger. Unfortunately that won't work here. I don't think the exhaust belongs in the tunnel, stupid design.

Maybe they should make these with electric motors and 2000 lbs of batteries so you don't get ice -Geeze on my rx's and apex's I would get over 100 lbs of ice in tunnel and seat froze like a brick. All my riding has been below 0 F and I love how ice free I am. If you are frozen to the tunnel that is like a safety device you will never get thrown off!!!!

As for the exhaust not being looped through the tunnel - Yikes!!! I don't think the motor would make mouch power with 90 deg bends 2" from exhaust valves but you could put a set of chromed stacks up both sides like a semi- then no ice or steam from exhaust. Although if they turned the motor around there could be a suction device right between your legs :Rockon:

I have to look to see if Ferrari has a user site with this much moaning :o|

Superfletch said:
The XC riders were complaining about their foot being wet on the race sleds due to the same thing. Ended up riveting a plastic piece to the underside to cover up the very front 8 to 10" of openings. I did it on mine and cut down 75% of the icing.

I wear Motorfist gear - it is waterproof, I don't reccomend wearing tennis shoes for this activity!

Back