• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

turbo cold intake air box

Turtle

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Polaris Switchback 800 Pro S LE
'15 Viper RTX SE w/ MPI turbo - sold
'07 FX Phazer GT
So while I watch the rain consistently fall this summer :(, my idle time has me thinking about my sled. I've been thinking about an intake idea for my turbo and wanted some collective thoughts and input from all of ya.

I've read just about every thread here about the advantages of getting the turbo intake outside of the hood and into the cold fresh air ... got it. But I just can't get beyond the look of having that filter sticking out there in the open. Some like it, but it's just not for me. So I started to think if there was a way to create an airbox of sorts. We've all seen aftermarket intake kits for the automotive world that has a nice cone filter with a new airbox that seals against the hood and other surfaces. So the idea is to create an airbox around the existing filter for the MPI turbo that seals against the hood and pulls fresh air through the black vent piece where one would normally run the pipe through to get to the outside air. Maybe even eliminate the black vent piece and replace it with some frogskin. I would maybe try to mock up a mold and make the airbox out of fiberglass or something.

Is this a viable idea, or is the crumby summer weather just driving me crazy? We had more rain and cold days here than nice ones.

On my mpi turbo I have the filter routed up in the front of the nose and have added some piping in there to get it as close to the front of the sled as I can, it's almost touching the lower frog skin on the nose of the sled. Not I good spot if you ride deep snow but I ride 100% trails and that area never gets blocked with snow. At some point this summer I'm going to try to fit a bigger cone shaped filter in there with a bell mouth velocity stack. If you notice any 4 stroke turbo drag sleds out there, most all are running a setup like that only they're outside the hood, I'll still keep it sealed up under the hood in the nose area if there's room.

Or you can go alongside radiator like Excell cold intake for na does. Has to be worth the trouble with all the hot air under hood.

Or you can go alongside radiator like Excell cold intake for na does. Has to be worth the trouble with all the hot air under hood.
That's where mine ended up after moving it around underage hood a few time until I got the coldest air

Attachments

• IMG_20170111_0819397.jpg
    IMG_20170111_0819397.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20170111_0819187.jpg
    IMG_20170111_0819187.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 110
So while I watch the rain consistently fall this summer :(, my idle time has me thinking about my sled. I've been thinking about an intake idea for my turbo and wanted some collective thoughts and input from all of ya.

I've read just about every thread here about the advantages of getting the turbo intake outside of the hood and into the cold fresh air ... got it. But I just can't get beyond the look of having that filter sticking out there in the open. Some like it, but it's just not for me. So I started to think if there was a way to create an airbox of sorts. We've all seen aftermarket intake kits for the automotive world that has a nice cone filter with a new airbox that seals against the hood and other surfaces. So the idea is to create an airbox around the existing filter for the MPI turbo that seals against the hood and pulls fresh air through the black vent piece where one would normally run the pipe through to get to the outside air. Maybe even eliminate the black vent piece and replace it with some frogskin. I would maybe try to mock up a mold and make the airbox out of fiberglass or something.

Is this a viable idea, or is the crumby summer weather just driving me crazy? We had more rain and cold days here than nice ones.
Turtle, do a search by "hurricane intake problem" you'll find a different approach to getting at that cold air , solves the steam bogging issue as well,

Back