• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Viper Clutching - RPM's

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Have a 2014 Viper RTX and need help getting the RPM's under control. I have the MPI trail turbo without EABC. This is my setup:

Stock weights modified
Heel: 6.4
Mid: 6.4
Toe 6.2
Total weight: 69.7
Low rpm engagement spring from Schmidt bros

Stock gearing
Secondary helix: 46/38
Sidewinder secondary spring 2-6

When i hit the throttle at 40-50mph it jumps to 8550 rpm's and climbs to 9270 rpm's.

I want to bring the rpm's down on top end but am worried they will be too low when the throttle is first opened. What range should I be shooting for?

Unwrap the winder secondary spring to 3-3 it is a very stiff spring, are you runing a button secondary?
That’s really to big of a helix spread for the stock weights IMO. Modified in what way?

Last edited:
Did you grind different ramps on them?

With the MPI trail turbo, you really don't want to run any higher than 8600. As I understand it, above 8600 the stock fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, etc) have trouble keeping up. Which can put you into a lean situation. For average trail conditions, I'd shoot for a target rpm of 8400. With that, the rpm will run a bit lower in sticky condition, and maybe a bit higher in perfect conditions.

If it’s a button clutch I would think a straight 46 helix would be better suited to those weights based on the rpm’s you have now.

Back