• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo viper vs sidewinder

Sikker

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha soon
Hey guys I was talking to a Yamaha sales rep the other day and i was telling him my plans on buying a turbo viper... He said its not worth it because the 1050cc is apparently not reliable and it wasn't meant to be at the 200-250 hp mark. The guy said I should buy a sidewinder but the price difference is insane... I can buy a used turbo viper with about 3k kms on it right now for about $6500 cad as for a sidewinder its about $12000 cad... double the price. Was this just a guy trying to upsell me? I will be able to buy a used turbo viper outright but I cannot afford a sidewinder, I would have to finance. How many kms could I see a turbo viper go with properly maintained and very hard full throttle riding poorly maintained trails and boondocking vs a sidewinder. Is it really worth the price... also considering I will have to finance. The reason I would have to have a turbo viper and not standard is because I am coming off a 800 2 stroke and want the same feeling as that or more I know its not really comparable but at the bar minimum I want big hp and somewhat decent reliability, thanks.

What turbo set up is on the Viper? What year?
If you have something like a Hurricane 190 set up then you are approx. at the same hp as a stock Winder. However if you want to go up from there they have very different pathes to more HP. The Viper would need a $2K upgrade kit to get to 240hp as well as lots of labour $$$ (unless you do the work yourself) to add headshim, headstuds, etc. Messy. Winder you can do a tune for $650CAD to get you to 240hp with everything else stock. Sidewinder is no brainer unless you are fine at 190 kit which still pulls harder than your old 800, gets good mileage and is reliable.

Oh and by the way $6500 CAD for turbo Viper with 3k km is a pretty smoking deal.

My ZR 7000 El Tigre is very close to the ZR 8000 "seat of the pants" feel. I did a 1/2 mile race with my buddies 8000 and they were very close at the 1/4 mile mark, like really close. He pulled me at the 1/2 miles mark. If you want top end then I can see why you want to turbo the 1049.
If you want arm pulling torque out of a corner than the non turbo Viper will service you well. I have watched several YouTube videos of turbo Nitro's climbing mountain chutes and they rock, not sure of the reliability though

Okay thanks this used viper I was looking at was a 2015, and this guy was telling me that is has a stroker bottom end and a turbo done by a Yamaha dealer (never specified what brand) and a dynojet programmer so I think I will go with that once I get some more info and documentation, thanks.

I would DEFINATLY find out what turbo kit it is and who installed it.
If you buy a sled with a turbo kit that no longer has support you may be in trouble when you need parts.
I had a Hurricane 190 turbo Viper 2014. Fun sled. 5k miles on that set up with zero problems.

I would DEFINATLY find out what turbo kit it is and who installed it.
If you buy a sled with a turbo kit that no longer has support you may be in trouble when you need parts.
I had a Hurricane 190 turbo Viper 2014. Fun sled. 5k miles on that set up with zero problems.
+1
MPI was a turbo kit supplier and they are no longer in business for support/parts/etc. Hurricane is still going strong.

Back