• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turn key to crank sled and cuts power.

Loc Tro

Extreme
I go to start my sled with new starter solenoid and some new wires.

Power comes on normal with key.

Fuel pumps cycles as normal.

After fuel system has been primed.

I turn key further to start and it clicks once and then proceeds to cut all power like a momentary type kill switch.

Let off on the key and all cycles back on like I just turned the key on for first time.

I had to solder a piece of ground wire on and wondering if it not strong enough connection for cranking???

Sounds like a bad connection to me as well. Check the grounds. Does the starter spin if you jump the two posts on the starter relay? If not, I'd suspect the main ground or a bad battery connection.

Sounds good. I have some time tonight so I am going to check the things you mentioned and more. Thanks for pointers and guidance. I will keep you updated. Got company coming sat eve so hope it works out!!

I'm wondering about the health of the battery. It's always worth doing a load test.

Add on edit: I was at Pizza Pizza getting me some potata wedges when I posted my message :D My reason for suggesting the battery load test is because I have had a brand new battery flat line on me with my pwc. I was out bouncing off the waves, did one nice jump and landed a bit off the side. Whatever happened internally to the battery totally wrecked it. It had enough capability to run the bilge pump for over 2 hours while I laid there in the drink, adrift behind it for that 2 + hour swim but it lost all capability to engage the starter. The solenoid clicked but there was absolutely nothing there.

Last edited:
After you're done tightening & checking, test the battery with a load tester.
The old school car "toaster" looking things work best.
The starter is the only thing that really puts a load on that battery so what you're describing is exactly what happens when the battery is low or even shorted internally. It will read 12 volts then die then produce 12 volts to fire up the low amperage stuff like the dash.

Tightened all bolts on battery tore apart my ground spilce to check that. It looked fine.

Used multi meter on battery when cranking and all seemed fine. Don’t think it even dropped below 12 volts. Checked for power with dummy light from battery and worked my way to starter solenoid. Battery side of solenoid light up the light as normal. Other side barely light it up when cranking and makes a slight squealing noise like struggling for a connection or struggling cuz starter is locked up?

I am thinking maybe my starter is locked up?
I turned the primary by hand. I am used to two strokes. I don’t see a worm gear on back of primary for starter to catch and crank sled over?

Cant see or touch starter to bang on it? Little confused and lost. Need a little direction. Is there a way to bench test starter while still in sled like bypass solenoid or something with direct power to it?

Can you ever use shock therapy to free a starter like you can revive a fuel pump sometimes? Don’t think it’s my battery or solenoid. Thinking is my starter but want to confirm.

Once u get a power wire real hot won’t it loose its ability to transfer current properly? My guess is it’s either that or the starter but I am no expect! LOL

There is the possibility that the magnets have came off the body of the starter internally which causes high draw. Have seen a couple of these engines with this type of starter failure last year.

I've had a burnt starter that squealed when trying to crank and made the battery wire hot. Initially caused by a cheap copy starter relay getting stuck.

I've had a burnt starter that squealed when trying to crank and made the battery wire hot. Initially caused by a cheap copy starter relay getting stuck.
FML... you just described what happened to me EXACTLY! Bought a cheap knock of starter relay that failed and melted wires and solenoid. Replaced starter solenoid now with oem and replaced all wires and connections except the wire to the starter. That wire got hot so may have fried the starter then or cable got so hot it will no longer transfer current etc??

FML... you just described what happened to me EXACTLY! Bought a cheap knock of starter relay that failed and melted wires and solenoid. Replaced starter solenoid now with oem and replaced all wires and connections except the wire to the starter. That wire got hot so may have fried the starter then or cable got so hot it will no longer transfer current etc??
Did you have any recourse from the company that sold you the cheap part that caused all your problems and money spent you shouldn’t have? Wish we could sue them so they can pay for repairs and parts. I would drive through the front of their store if they were local!!

Anyone know how to manually try and turn a stuck starter by hand? Where is starter located and how does it crank motor off primary like a two stroke with a gear in clutch?

Did you have any recourse from the company that sold you the cheap part that caused all your problems and money spent you shouldn’t have? Wish we could sue them so they can pay for repairs and parts. I would drive through the front of their store if they were local!!
You've got to be kidding. Are you not aware that when you buy an aftermarket solenoid for 20 bucks instead of the OEM for 70 bucks that the risk is on you?

Back