• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TY Mileage Fun Contest Trailhed1 2015

trailhed1

Expert
OK I took a little jaunt today. I will say it was so nice to hear that Apex sing again and to hit that flipper and Ride.

Tough to start a new year with my last run in the Gaspe in April still fresh in my mind, I know it won't be like that.

That said here is the deal. We still need one good snow to really get er going. Sure some places are great and others are quite rough. It is only the first pass for the groomers near here so I fully expected exactly that lots of holes and sticks poking up all over. Really nice hard base frozen nicely.

I left house up TQ3 thru shawinigan the up to the river in Grand Mere (river open and Staked) joined 23 then back toward Shawinigan. Tried for ST Tite but no trail open there yet I rode the ATV trail for a bit then came back. Back on the m5 i think one of the m trails anyway to rejoin TQ3. trail is groomed into Shawinigan Sud and the Safari etc.

Loving my new WRP seat.
nice 97km ride Cold even for the Iceman.

first ride 2015 003.JPG
first ride 2015 004.JPG
first ride 2015 005.JPG
first ride 2015 006.JPG
first ride 2015 007.JPG
first ride 2015 008.JPG
first ride 2015 009.JPG

Just got back from my first real saddlebag trip this season. 7 riding days from my house near Shawinigan, QC up and all around Saguenay and Lac St Jean.
Very cold week and despite some issues mainly with the 800 E Tec with me we had a great run. Sorry no Pics camera frozen.

Ran into the guys from DarksideAdventures. Anybody looking to get to Qc should check them out.
DarksideAdventures.com.

Finally getting out for a week ride.

Day 1 Sunday

Left Relais Iceman at 8:30am.
Snohorse and I headed out on the TQ 3 nicely groomed from home like they knew we were coming.
Certainly did not feel cold at first that quickly changed. Up through Lac a Tortue and on to the TQ23 to St Tite. All groomed really sweet. Switched onto the 360 headed for St Joseph this one not as nicely groomed as the others but I have seen it much much worse. Burned on up to St Joseph took the gas and realized just how damn cold it was. Wicked cold. Left on the 360 and it was groomed out of St Joseph arrived to find the groomer continued our way on up the 355. Super duper 5 stars wow. All the way to the LT1 to cut over to TQ73. LT1 not groomed recently but very good. So far we have seen 4 sleds the whole way. Everyone with half a brain is inside somewhere. Right Turn on the TQ73 and off to the intersection of 355 for Lac Edouard. Hey 4 more guys at the intersection of 73/355 see ya bye. 355 is nice and big and fast. Made great time to Domaine Lac Edouard.(even using the go around to avoid the cold run up the lake) arrived at Domaine Lac Edouard at 12pm hmmm only 3 other sleds here on a Sunday. Oh yeah did I mention it's cold out? Took the gas, put the stickers, took some heat inside and off we go for Lac Bouchette. 355 is mint. Hauled #*$&@ up to Lac Bouchette. 2 hrs on the nose. Arrived there 2:30pm. Same old gas, heat and go. 355 to 83 very nice conditions here. TQ83 East to 383. Not bad at all just cold. Seen 2 more sleds. Wow. 383 not bad but not as nice as what we seen earlier in the day. Some parts real drifted but not unexpected up here. 383 to 23, same old drifted in spots but no worries. We will manage. TQ23 to the Local orange into Alma. Got Gas just past the turn for centre ville and some pepsi to mix with the Jack Daniels just the necessities. The off to the Hotel a Universal for the Night. Sleds locked up and unloaded at 4:45pm time to get inside. Ran into my friends from Thetford Mines Sophie and Yves staying here as well,

260 miles for the day. Damn cold ones.

Day 2

Rough Start. Waited a bit to let it warm up. Ha waste of time. 4 sleds at Universal. And 1 out of 3 started. Mine was not one of them. After some jump starting on mine and pulling the 800 E-Tec to life. It was nearing 11am. Today would be a short day. Left Alma took local to the 23 then to 93 and all the way to Passion Quebec.

Took up shop in the store and started happy hour at 3:30pm with Vince the owner. Had some Blues and caught up on what has been happening since we saw him last. Nice to be here again. Fuelled up the sleds and put them to bed in the heated garage. Something tells me tmmrw they will start. First try.

Trails closer to Alma and below the Mountain super hard and fast. At the junction of 328/93 it got a bit lumpy. Lots more snow up this way but showing the either lack of grooming or just not frozen enough not sure which. But not fantastic.

75 miles for the day.
Beats work.

Day 3

Off to Zec Onitchaway today.

Left Passion Quebec around 9:30 down 93 to the Bras Louis.
Bras Louis fast and very nice.
Arrive at the turn for Onitchaway to find fresh groom white asphalt. First tracks all the way to Onitchaway.
Topped off the gas and headed over to the Zec Entrance.
Met Mario there speaks perfect English and got our Access to the private trails.
Was super impressed with what they got in there. Nice trails, groomed very well and much bigger then I imagined. We did a 150Km loop up and back and punched out.
Was 2:15 now. Left Onitchaway and headed south on 476. More fresh groomed unreal. Super. Caught the groomer just before intersecting with 328. Stopped at St. David for gas the back on 328 to 93 then 134 to Shipshaw. All pretty great. Some drifting on 134 just near 93 maybe 2-3 miles. Crossed at Shipshaw and headed into Chicoutimi on 83 for the night. La Saguenee.
190 miles today cold but not as bad today.

Day 4

Tried to start the Apex at 7am she was having none of that. Plugged in the coolant heater and went to have breakfast. Went back out at 8am she fired right up. The 800 E-Tec with the brand new battery was a no go. Used the muscle and pull started it to life.

Left Chicoutiimi on nicely groomed 83 and made tracks thru Jonquiere, waited for the groomer coming thru the tunnel at 383. Then headed off on 83. Few miles past 383 on 83 got a radio call for check engine light on the E-Tec. Decided to head to Spence and get her checked out. Arrived at Coffee time so right after break they took her in and plugged it into the computer. Showing the RAVE valve not opening fully. They cleaned it and test rode it and sent us on our way. Took 383 to the river crossing near St. Charles. All good.
Joined up with 93 and headed for St Henri Talon to get some Jack at the SAQ. Then continued to the local 903 back to 367 and up to Dolbeau.
All great very nice trails, super.
Was early 2:30pm so Across the local 701 I think, and around and up to Normandin. Getting colder. Hooked up to the 373 then back to 93 and into Dolbeau for Gas and then back out and around to Auberge Dilligence.

195 miles Today.

Day 5

Pretty cold still.
Changed tactics last night. We removed the Battery from the E-Tec brought it in the room.
The E-Tec started right up with the warm battery this morning. The Apex started too, no coolant heater needed. Went on first click of the key.

We left Dolbeau and headed west on 93 then took the 373 west back to 93 then up and back around on some of our favourite trails thru Lac A Jim and Girardville and back down thru Dolbeau on 93. Trails were super just wicked cold on the fast 93 parts which is a lot of it.
93 to local 900 then local 902 thru St. Luger then on up to the former Scooby Raid. Now Mont Valain. Had a late lunch and Talked with new owner Annick and the server Marie Christine. Super nice folks and we will return. Left there around 3pm headed for Alma took 367 to local 553 to 328 then on to local 554 down to 93.
93 west to 23 and into Alma, back at hotel Universal again.
Super conditions no doubt.
200 miles today cold ones.
Tmmrw we play around and end up in Roberval.

Forgot it's the free weekend or I would have been home by now. So Saturday it's off to Relais Iceman after Roberval. Time to get out of Dodge.

Day 6

Left Alma this morning in no big hurry as we had all day to get to Roberval.
Put the Battery in the E-Tec and she still was a hard starter but went.
Apex got one hour on the coolant heater and fired right up.

Left Alma on 23 then headed toward Heberville. Not far from Heberville, got a radio call for check engine light on again on the E-Tec.
Had a pow wow and decided to head for Spence in Jonquiere as they had worked on it on Wed. Arrived there just before lunch Via 83 to Orange trail to 383 to Spence.

Eric took it right in and it was showing same code of Rave Valve position not reached. They checked for the sensor and had it in stock so they started to change it out. After a lunch break we were out of there at 1:30. Seemed fine....

383 then 83 back to 383 and then 23 to Heberville. Gas in Heberville then west on 83 to Orange trail thru St Andre. Past St Andre on Gas line another radio call. Yup check engine again. And when the light comes on it is stuttering, we could live with the light on but it is that when the light is on it misses. So we press on and arrive at Ski Doo in Roberval at 5pm. They take it right inside. Hook it up and it is showing same Rave codes. They are awesome here. They will have the mechanic stay tonigh and take apart rave valves and clean them, (spence should have just done this in the first place) anyhow, in talking with Richard the mechanic and the manager there we learn after 42 years they will loose their concession with BRP in June. Decision made by BRP basically they told them you are done.
Seems very messed up to me.
So we are at Chateau Roberval. Sleds at Ski Doo. They did not even charge me extra to put the Yammie in the heated shop there for the night. And they gave us a ride to the hotel. Nice.
Hockey Tournament here. When I called on Monday I got the last room.
Snowman's favorite a million kids in the hall playing endless hockey.
Oh well.
We will try for the finish line tmmrw thru lac Edouard and pipeline back down then on to Shawinigan and beyond to Relais Iceman.
So long for now.
150 miles today. But it's not about the miles now is it?

Day 7

Taxi to the Ski Doo dealer to start. Sled is fixed Rave Valves were very gummed up. The disassembled and cleaned them and now good to go.

Put the bags on and pulled out of the nice warm Garage.

373 to 83 nicely groomed up. Had to deal with a bit of traffic starting out but we quickly disposed of that.
83 toward 355 also great same deal on the Powerlines there traffic. This is why I do not like Saturday's or Sunday's . Oh well onward.

Arrived at 355 just right passed another bunch of 2 ups at the intersection there. Nice.
Smooth sailing to Lac Bouchette and then off on the 355 direction Lac Edouard. This trail was nice not the best I ever seen it but very acceptable. Again with the 2 ups. Jeez. Took them one by one and moved on. Smooth sailing to
Domaine Lac Edouard for gas. Nice crowd today.
Gas n Go.
Down to 73 and we pass another group at the intersection with 73. Nice.
73 is smooth as hell and we rail it to the LT1 Orange and this one is super. Real nice.
Across to the "pipeline" and we go. Now this one is in ok shape but all the traffic has got some rocks kicked up in quite a few places. Lots of people heading North. I do not understand the fascination with riding the middle of the trail but it was obvious many of these passing North love the center and do not want to move over. Damn. Just crazy.

Just before the train bridge I see Towing on the side of the trail looking under his skid. We stop to see if we can do anything for him but it seems the eye on one of his Shocks in his Boivin skid has broken off.
He says he will take appropriate measures and he has another with him so we continue on to St Joseph.
Took the gas at St Joseph and started down 360 very surprising that this trail was in good shape considering the traffic today. Anyway on down to the 23 and into St Tite then down to M5 to return to TQ3 and on to the Relais Iceman.
Left Ski Doo Roberval around 10am touchdown Relais Iceman at 4pm.
230 miles.

Until next time.
Please keep right. Thank you please.

1306 miles this run

Wow great mileage :)
No Maine ride for me this year because of work, bummer :-(
Will have to get the miles in here in Norway, it's hard as we don't have any grooming of the trail system.
It gets beat up badly when the traffic pics up in mid March.

Got in another week in Abitibi. Not easy to get away this year.

Sunday 22 Feb

Trucked West from Relais Iceman. 400 miles door to door.
Sitting pretty in the heart of it all at Forestel in Val d'Or.

Gonna spend five-six days out here and burn some gas.

Planning on the long way around to Matagami Tmmrw.

Stay Tuned.

Warm my #*$&@.

Day 1 Monday

Sleds were in no mood to get going this morning. Ours were not the only stubborn ones. About 20 sleds at Hotel and 5 started without help this AM. All makes, the cold did not discriminate. We helped others and waited for the Yamaha to warm up on the plug in. And had to thaw out the Ski Doo Battery. Would not jump until we warmed it up. Apex battery weak too, but after warming engine the jump box got it going.

Needless to say a late late start. Left Val d'Or around 11:30am. It was still wicked cold.
Headed out on 83 with a new plan of attack, Matagami is off for now.
near Val d'Or town rough not groomed in a while from town to the 83.
83 was better for sure and very sweet.
Took 83 to the 309 and found that not so bad as well
Continued on to the 93 and found freshly groomed trail laying first tracks. Nice. Took gas in Amos and headed on west on 93 toward La Sarre. Caught the groomer about 50 miles from La Sarre but was still a great trail. Pulled into gas at La Sarre at 3:15 pm then on to Villa mon Repos. Sleds put to bed in heated garage we will have none of that nonsense tmmrw.
140 miles half a day.

Day 2

Warmer Today with the snow but wind makes it a bit chilly for sure.

Had a nice stay at Villa Mon Repos in La Sarre. Sleds were nice and happy happy in the heated garage. Chatted it up with 2 big groups from Ontario. Nice guys. Was talking with one group and they started with the..."Ontario has the best Snowmobile trails in all of Canada"
I simply said "then what are you doing here, I see an awful lot of Ontario guys and gals riding in Quebec" . They had no response.

Any who....

No big rush today. Left hotel around 9:30am and we started our bingo run of Orange local loops all around and up above La Sarre. Super sweet. Despite the light snow and wind making some places a real whiteout, that would be the way it was all day. Flat light a bit drifted here and there and windy but hey that is snowmobiling. Spent 3 hours zipping around up down and back and forth on the Orange trails. Then decided to head down 93 to Royun Noranda. 93 super fast. Arrived there and bypassed the vile on an Orange trail that took us across to 83. 83 also super, no let downs today the west did provide. 83 to cut across orange and into Pressiac. Then on to the fresh groomed 307 and a fast run up to 93 and on into Amos.

Sitting happy again at Amosphere. Sleds put to bed in heated garage again, nice.
All is well.
240 miles
Here at 4:15pm.

Day 3

No worries and no hurry this AM.
Left hotel at 9:30.

Took 93 to the 307. All beautiful.
307 and connected to 396 direction Matagami.
396 was frosted with a fresh 2" of snow and simply Delicious. Thank you please come again. We will. Super A+++++ conditions all the way to Mayagami. Arrived there at 12:30pm. Took the gas and 10 minutes of heat in Gas Station and we are off.
396 south just as beautiful as the first half. Happy Happy. Cruised on down to Lebel sur Quvillion and same deal gas and a warm up. Left out of there at 3pm headed to Seneterre on the rocket fast 93. Cruised into town at 4:15.
All trails superb.
Headed to Ski Doo to search out a possible garage to put the sleds in. No luck there but the did make some calls and found us a place but they wanted $50 for 2 sleds. Yeah thanks but no.
Met NOWA at Ski Doo with his friend they were moving on east they said they were shooting for Clova. Godspeed boys.

Stick a fork in us cause we are done for today.
At Motel Bel Villa. Nice and warm inside.
All is good.
270 miles today.

Day 4

A brisk -35c this am in Seneterre.
However good news is Apex was on the coolant heater all night. And fired right up.
Despite having taken the e-Tec battery inside it still needed a assist from the jump box but literally started very easily with the booster on.

83 east out of Seneterre to the right turn on Orange trail back to 386 and up into Louvincourt. All super. Stopped for early lunch there in Louvincourt and topped off the gas. Then off again.

The rest of today was a bingo day with an assortment of Orange trails and Green stitched together with purpose to cover the most ground.
We looped up over down back etc etc etc. I won't bore you with all the numbers and details.
Super day bright blue sky but cold. Oh well.
215 miles today. Good enough for me.

Day 5

Stayed at Quality Inn to try something new in Val d'Or was great. The free continental breakfast was awesome. Plus saved 15% on room with aaa card. Nice.

Sleds both started today no problems. Mine was again plugged in all night and the battery brought inside again.

Left Val d'Or at 9:30 am 83 east to Louvincourt then 386 down to 63. Turned around and reversed the same trajectory back to Forrestel in Val d'Or.

Locked and loaded at hotel.
230 miles today.
Truck to Relais Iceman Tmmrw.
1100 miles for the 5 days.

Back