• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

U.S. Tariffs and Prices?

Deeppow16

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Arctic Cat M8000
2009 Yamaha Nytro MTX (Totaled)
2002 Polaris 600 XCSP (Sold)
1999 Ski-doo Formula 500 (Totaled)
I read an article this morning about the auto industry and how they are being impacted from the new tariffs. The article I read stated that the auto industry is already seeing bad effects from it and consumers may suffer from rising prices. So my question is do you think sled prices are going to be affect from this? Could we see stock sleds over the 20K mark?

Good Question. Cat and Polaris are made here, but I'm sure not all the parts come from here. I'm sure Yamaha sends the motors from Japan.

Ski-Doo is built in Quebec and imported here. They may be impacted the most.

Good Question. Cat and Polaris are made here, but I'm sure not all the parts come from here. I'm sure Yamaha sends the motors from Japan.

Ski-Doo is built in Quebec and imported here. They may be impacted the most.[/QU

Some sleds are already priced very high and this may be what pushes thoses prices over the edge and if that happens whats going to happen down the road for the 4 brands? I'm sorry but I'm not paying 20K for a sled.

When you have a trade war the Manufacture suffers and the consumer suffers! In Canada Catamahas sleds are already 20,000 dollars. If the US puts a tariff on BRP sleds and Canada follows with a Tariff on Catamahas and Poo's sleds will easy hit way over 20,000 except for BRP it is way cheaper this side so it might only hit 20,000. Aluminum went up 25% and a sled is mostly aluminum so I'd say going up!

When you have a trade war the Manufacture suffers and the consumer suffers! In Canada Catamahas sleds are already 20,000 dollars. If the US puts a tariff on BRP sleds and Canada follows with a Tariff on Catamahas and Poo's sleds will easy hit way over 20,000 except for BRP it is way cheaper this side so it might only hit 20,000. Aluminum went up 25% and a sled is mostly aluminum so I'd say going up!
If that's the case what is our sport going to look like in 20-30 years? That would put me in my 50's and I sure hope to still be able to ride but will there even be sleds around that aren't consider vintage? If they are 20K now they will be gone in 20-30 years. How can you make a sled cost as much as a car? There mostly AL and plastic. That just doesn't make sense to me.

If that's the case what is our sport going to look like in 20-30 years? That would put me in my 50's and I sure hope to still be able to ride but will there even be sleds around that aren't consider vintage? If they are 20K now they will be gone in 20-30 years. How can you make a sled cost as much as a car? There mostly AL and plastic. That just doesn't make sense to me.

It revolves around qty. Automobile components are probably purchased in quantities of 100,000 where as sled parts by the 1,000’s. Much better price break on larger quantities.

It revolves around qty. Automobile components are probably purchased in quantities of 100,000 where as sled parts by the 1,000’s. Much better price break on larger quantities.
Yeah I suppose you got a point there but there is many more components to a car then there is to a sled plus there is much more material used in a car then a sled. Can the price breaks really be that much to make up for 3-4 times the amount of material used?

Yeah I suppose you got a point there but there is many more components to a car then there is to a sled plus there is much more material used in a car then a sled. Can the price breaks really be that much to make up for 3-4 times the amount of material used?

I think that all sleds are over priced. You are right, you could almost buy a car for the price of the high end sleds.

I think that all sleds are over priced. You are right, you could almost buy a car for the price of the high end sleds.
Yes ALL sleds are over priced. I bought a new sled last year but it was a 2016 so I got a hell of deal on it otherwise I would never buy a brand new sled.

The prices will be what they will be and you will either snowmobile or not. think back to the 80's there is no way anyone would have paid 15,000 for a sled yet here we are. I also make way more money then I did in the 80's. It's only money and toys you cant take either with you so enjoy life the best you can and be ready in the right ways when your time comes.

The prices will be what they will be and you will either snowmobile or not. think back to the 80's there is no way anyone would have paid 15,000 for a sled yet here we are. I also make way more money then I did in the 80's. It's only money and toys you cant take either with you so enjoy life the best you can and be ready in the right ways when your time comes.
The problem with that if new people cant afford to get into the sport the sport will not last its as simple as that. The price is climbing way to fast and with these tariffs going into affect that price will go up even faster.

I guess we will just have to produce more American metal. More jobs and lower sled prices. Yamaha already moved to north America because they seen this coming. the sleds are made in MN right now...

That makes me smile as I'm now 62! My first new sled in 1978 was 1,600 bucks but a 440 was closer to 2,000. It was 400 fan cooled twin with a 136 inch with about a 3/4 inch lug. most where 1/2 inch till then! A new car was 6 to 8 thousand. Now we will jump to 1998 ( got out of sledding to raise a family) and my sled cost 12,000 bucks and a new car was 20 to 30,000 In 2005 my new sled was 15,500 and my new truck was 50,000 in 2003 Now in 2018 a new sled is 20,000 and a new car is 40,000 to 60,000 and a new truck is 50,000 to 70,000!

So sleds have never really been cheap and you could have bought cheaper cars but you could have also bought cheaper sleds. I tried to keep the cars upscale like the sleds. I think the problem comes is we want cutting edge tech and that comes with a price. My buddy bought a 2016 Cat with the 1100 twin four stroke brand new for under 9,000 bucks! You can still buy sleds for under 10,000 but they don't have a 180hp rated motor and are not top of the line tech!

I do like you wonder where this sport will be in the future (my future is shorter then yours) but looking back the jump from 1965 to 78 was a large step but mostly a jump in hp handling lacked alot! The jump from 78 to 98 for me was wild, hp out the ying yang and now they would handle! From 98 till now its all about refinements and seating position trying to get that perfect sled to handle perfectly as a on trail, off trail, steep and deep combo! In reality and I'll get blasted for this since 1998 sleds are the same they tweaked and move things around including the rider but they are the same! Cutting edge real change has not happened yet to main stream sled design! Its been dabbled in all over the place but not mainstream yet! The key is yet! Unlike me you have 30 years to wait and watch it come out!

I think your future for sledding will be fine but only if you have a good job will you be buying top of the line sleds, cars. raising baby's ect! Tariffs and crap will effect me more then you as its a short term deal that future government will change! If I learned anything in the last 50 or so years of throwing up at the stupidity of government BS, its that government concern is here today and forgotten tomorrow! What one finds important the next does not! They are self serving and you are not as important as they try to make you feel so they can feed off your dollar!

I ra
I guess we will just have to produce more American metal. More jobs and lower sled prices. Yamaha already moved to north America because they seen this coming. the sleds are made in MN right now...
I rather doubt they seen the trade war coming. They partnered with Cat before 2014 and moved offices to Canada to get closer to production and testing! North America is a huge consumer of sleds and off road, where better to set up shop! The fact that Japan is still reeling from a nuclear meltdown and still contaminated from it might have played a part as well!

I ra

I rather doubt they seen the trade war coming. They partnered with Cat before 2014 and moved offices to Canada to get closer to production and testing! North America is a huge consumer of sleds and off road, where better to set up shop! The fact that Japan is still reeling from a nuclear meltdown and still contaminated from it might have played a part as well!
the partnership started before but the move was after talks of tariffs on trade were happening. It was certainly a part of the decision. If I remember correctly it was even a part of the press release. the trade war was obviously not known yet but the taxes on trade were known that they were coming as a part of the election of the new president.

Back