• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer Clutch kit

dmaxx

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX, 2012 Apex XTX, 2010 Vector LTX, 2000 AC Z-370..fast
Does any one know if the Ulmer clutch kit for a Viper LTX uses the same springs and helix as a kit for an XTX? Left several messages at Ulmer with no reply. Has the K helix and o-y-o primary and silver secondary spring.

Last edited:

Does any one know if the Ulmer clutch kit for a Viper LTX uses the same springs and helix as a kit for an XTX? Left several messages at Ulmer with no reply. Has the K helix and o-y-o primary and silver secondary spring.
I have his stage one kit ,the helix is K and the spring orange=pink= orange
I have his stage 1 kit for the Ltx ,the helix is K ,the primary orange/pink/orange and the secondary is red

I have his stage one kit ,the helix is K and the spring orange=pink= orange

I have his stage 1 kit for the Ltx ,the helix is K ,the primary orange/pink/orange and the secondary is red
Is the o-p-o a stock Yamaha spring?

OPO is a low start, heavy finish. OYO is even lower start rate. Both Yamaha springs. Ulmer kit contents can vary I guess, but OPO or OYO and STM weights are pretty much a staple of the primary side.

OPO is a low start, heavy finish. OYO is even lower start rate. Both Yamaha springs. Ulmer kit contents can vary I guess, but OPO or OYO and STM weights are pretty much a staple of the primary side.
OK, thanks. I thought so. I can buy this kit at a reasonable price and was more concerned with the helix application. I can make the rest work. I have an o-p-0 spring in my tool box I can use too.

OPO is a low start, heavy finish. OYO is even lower start rate. Both Yamaha springs. Ulmer kit contents can vary I guess, but OPO or OYO and STM weights are pretty much a staple of the primary side.[/QUOTE

what weight Supertip with that spring?

Still on the fence with the Ulmer as I dont see alot of feedback compared to the COTC set ups. Any one want to chime in here as to which is better? Mostly aggressive trail riding.

Last edited:
I will bite. I have gotten every clutch setup I ever used to work well. They will work differently as in aggressive or smooth depending on profiles. Not one was exactly perfect for me. Some were very close RPM wise. In the end I went for the easiest for me to tune with a aggressive Profile to make up for the high gearing I run. If you look in FAQ Sticky there are a bunch of setups for most clutch kits and engine combos. Ulmer and others have also made some changes to their kits so keep that in mind when looking at setups there.

I will bite. I have gotten every clutch setup I ever used to work well. They will work differently as in aggressive or smooth depending on profiles. Not one was exactly perfect for me. Some were very close RPM wise. In the end I went for the easiest for me to tune with a aggressive Profile to make up for the high gearing I run. If you look in FAQ Sticky there are a bunch of setups for most clutch kits and engine combos. Ulmer and others have also made some changes to their kits so keep that in mind when looking at setups there.
I looked in the FAQ and most used the COTC early on then the Big Venom kit. Didnt see as much for the Ulmer with results. Have an Ulmer I can buy cheap but have weights I could use for the COTC set up. Wont have the opportunity to test this season, just looking for more feedback on Ulmer.

The Ulmer kit was one of the first to market. Carried over components in a different recipe than the Nytro. COTC came out when Bill started angling to make a name for himself and launch a hobby business. Very few knowledgeable tuners use the flat profile weights. Thunder products (Lonn version) came with their kit a bit later on and that kit became popular when Terry started using them.

I have pieces/parts of COTC setup (weights for sure) and a full BV kit with midnight blue secondary spring available if interested. I started with Ulmer, ran the COTC very briefly, and tried the BV kit briefly as well. I have the most time on the Ulmer setup and always fall back to it. In fairness the season that I ran the BV was not a good season and truth be told I lacked the time and patience to work through to a recipe that fits my unique sled.

The Ulmer kit was one of the first to market. Carried over components in a different recipe than the Nytro. COTC came out when Bill started angling to make a name for himself and launch a hobby business. Very few knowledgeable tuners use the flat profile weights. Thunder products (Lonn version) came with their kit a bit later on and that kit became popular when Terry started using them.

I have pieces/parts of COTC setup (weights for sure) and a full BV kit with midnight blue secondary spring available if interested. I started with Ulmer, ran the COTC very briefly, and tried the BV kit briefly as well. I have the most time on the Ulmer setup and always fall back to it. In fairness the season that I ran the BV was not a good season and truth be told I lacked the time and patience to work through to a recipe that fits my unique sled.
Thanks. This was the type of reply I had hoped to get. I just want to get more out of the sled and as you mentioned, I do not have the time and availability to tune as I once had. Looking for a relatively simple set up with consistency.

I favor the Ulmer kit because I have the most time with it, but if you need a lot of coaching and tech support the guys at TP tend to be more available these days.

I'd suggest you choose your belt size and compound first. I got sick of the dust from the Yamaha belts and went Gates, but just broke in a new Ultimax 825 on last outing and it seemed pretty good too.

I favor the Ulmer kit because I have the most time with it, but if you need a lot of coaching and tech support the guys at TP tend to be more available these days.

I'd suggest you choose your belt size and compound first. I got sick of the dust from the Yamaha belts and went Gates, but just broke in a new Ultimax 825 on last outing and it seemed pretty good too.
Support is nice. I left 3 messages with Ulmer.

Back