• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmerized Apex GT !!!!!!!!

YAM182

Expert
ST. Lawrence County,New York. Also own land on Tug
March 2,2006.Finally hit the reservoir on Tug hill on a trail ride when conditions were pretty good for opening up the Apex GT with the Ulmer kit installed.
4 sleds ran on softer hardpack conditions.

Line up as follows-

Sled #1.Polaris 900 Fusion 05,studded,rider #220+? Mods?

Sled#2.Yamaha RTX 06,studded,rider #220.Mods-primary weights,
helix,geared up,transfer set toward max.Air box -(sounds like my
old Warrior with filters)something done(or removed) but he won`t say.Low
windshield.NO REVERSE.This RTX has put up 118-121 mph on radar
before.

Sled#3.Yamaha RTX 06,studded,rider #300+.Mods-extra wheels and
bigger dia rear wheels.Big boy spring.Low windshield.Transfer
toward max. NO REVERSE.This RTX has put up a 118 mph on radar
before with a lighter rider.

Sled#4.My Yamaha Apex GT 06.UNSTUDDED,rider #200.Medium
windshield.Mods-Ulmer clutching-Primary weights,primary
spring,helix,secondary spring.Clutching NOT set as it came from
Allen.GT has reverse remember.Transfer set 1 1/2 lines from min(still adjusting for the best ride).

Line em up time---
Right off the bat I figure I`ll be playing catch up since I have NO STUDS and transfer is not set for whats about to happen.
Off we go and all 3 other sleds are hooking up pretty good and have their skis in the air and are leaving me behind :o| :o| .

Sled#2 RTX pulled away slowly from everybody then stayed the same in front of sled #3 RTX mabey 7 lengths.

Sled #1 Fusion slowly fell back,ran good and held its own for a bit,but had no top end today.

Sled#4 My GT.I gave the 3 studded sleds a generous 10-12 length lead at the start as the Ulmerized GT took off with little transfer and alot of track spin.

Before about the 1/2 mile I had caught the studded Fusion sled#1 and said

goodbye :moon: :moon: :die :die :die

Next up was sled #3 RTX.Between 1/2 and 3/4 mile he said I went by him

while we were at around 90+mph. :die :die :die

So now I was reeling in the sled #2 RTX and was a couple lengths back but we
reached near the end and I had to slow up.

I made up at least 10-12 lengths and put about 5 more on sled #3 RTX. :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon:

If I were studded I would no doubt have been way in front of everybody.
Again I didn`t use the clutching set up as it came.The set up I used today is probably not my final trail set up!!!!!

The next day Sled #3 RTX owner picked up a Ulmer kit for his RTX!!! ;)!

This is what happened on this day under these conditions with these sleds.

The Ulmer kit -I love it !!! ;)! ;)!

Not all sleds(motors) are the same.My sled needed a different weight set up because the rpms were not where they should be as my sled likes to be different.

Sled #3 RTX was "BA APEX"
BA and his RTX can fly through the big moguls.
With a clutch kit and being much lighter by next season,watch out for him and his sled!

What were you reving at during the race and what about now? I was around 10,500 at the end of our season with the Ulmer and geared lower. I wanted to play with it more but ran out of snow. Next season should prove some fast Apexs!

Rpms were low that day on my GT,the Fusion was way down on rpm also.Can`t remember the RTXs rpm.
Just enough snow on the top to keep speeds down.105 speedo mabey
as I stop looking at it (speedo/tach)when we get closer together.
Adjusted later to as close to 10,7-10,900 as I could get and that was it for the year.
Put mostly the same stuff in BA Apexs RTX and tinkered a little doing some of the same things to his sled as were done to mine until we got a 120 on radar and video out on the bare ice.I had the gun in one hand and the camera in the other.Improved on his previous stock best by 4mph.He was 300lbs at the time.With me on at 100lbs less it still ran a consistant 119 mph on the bare ice every day we were out.He ran at the right time of day.

No turbo RJH.

rxwhopper said:
you will have more top end without studs.
No thats just a myth,we started out last year on all three of our apex/attaks sleds all unstuded,and all stock clutched,on very hard snow/ice you will lose 4-6 mpg all speeds varified by gps we both ran same speed all stock with 200 miles on our freshly broken in motors and we both ran 109 gps mine attak and his apexgt i weigh 240 plus and he weighs 150 plus top speed,weight becomes less of a factor,past 1/2 at least,and i would pull him out of the hole because of my weight,than he would pull back up to me and just slightly past 1-2 sleds but our top speeds remained the same. Now once we studded our sleds we all ran much better top speeds and more agressive trail speeds as we were both clutched with ulmers set up,my best top speed on the attak 114 gps and his best speed on the gt 115 gps and my boys rtx never got the gps on his but he would run 136 speedo and peddle past both of us by 4-6 sleds,and he was studded too.

Back