• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Un-even stud pattern. A no no??

Firedawg1998

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 srx
Hurricane PM bundle

2012 apex xtx
2012 vector gt
20221129_122703.jpg

Good morning all

Basically my scratch lines suck. You really only see 4 chewed into the ice after a pass with 2 equally modded cats that get me everytime. Both studded 144 but utilizing the outsides as well.. With my track becoming aged at 6000 miles I was considering just adding 24 to the outside. I really dont want 196 studs. But would like to test running a sled with outside studs as I've never ran them there before. I already have the studs but argue back and forth with myself about keeping things perfectly balanced. Either of my drawings a go or no go?? Thanks..

I would add the 2 per bar, to keep things more balanced, but that said it seems a waist if you only have 4 scratch lines now. Do your self a favor and buy a pattern from one of the stud suppliers, i have seen 32 scratch patterns from them, only draw back is they seem to be "v" patterns.

I would add the 2 per bar, to keep things more balanced, but that said it seems a waist if you only have 4 scratch lines now. Do your self a favor and buy a pattern from one of the stud suppliers, i have seen 32 scratch patterns from them, only draw back is they seem to be "v" patterns.

The number of traction lines is not as important as the QUALITY of traction lines. It's more important to not have them so close that as it spins slightly it just falls into the scratch line prior. Using a stud supplier pattern is not a good way to hook up well. 26 lines can be better than say 32 lines if done properly.

Double backers also tend to hook better than single studs and can make hook up easier and better. I also like staggered stud heights, say longer studs in the double backers and shorter studs in the single backers.

View attachment 169815
Good morning all

Basically my scratch lines suck. You really only see 4 chewed into the ice after a pass with 2 equally modded cats that get me everytime. Both studded 144 but utilizing the outsides as well.. With my track becoming aged at 6000 miles I was considering just adding 24 to the outside. I really dont want 196 studs. But would like to test running a sled with outside studs as I've never ran them there before. I already have the studs but argue back and forth with myself about keeping things perfectly balanced. Either of my drawings a go or no go?? Thanks..

I'd go with the pattern on the right, it will be fine, the one on the left I think will vibrate funny from running over the outside wheels. And for what its worth you might think about replacing the track with 6000 miles on it if it's a tuned sled. They tend to start pulling out at this mileage.

I always thought that studs placed in the center belt are biased towards providing traction and the outer belts more towards cornering help.
I’m not an expert for sure so maybe just something to think about

What's wrong with V patterns?

What's wrong with V patterns?

They tend to J hook on scared up ice and go sideways on the hole shot. V patterns should be avoided because the next stud in line is too close to the next and falls into that grove. The stager should be greater than what a v pattern provides.

V patterns are a rookie mistake made by lots of tuners, see it all the time. Sometimes they go down track if the ice is good, most often then not they will j hook or spin like crazy. Consistency with great traction wins drag races and final rounds even when ice is shot and scarred all to hell, a v pattern will never go to a final round in ice drags or be on a good tuners machine at a serious ice drag race event.

The number of traction lines is not as important as the QUALITY of traction lines. It's more important to not have them so close that as it spins slightly it just falls into the scratch line prior. Using a stud supplier pattern is not a good way to hook up well. 26 lines can be better than say 32 lines if done properly.

Double backers also tend to hook better than single studs and can make hook up easier and better. I also like staggered stud heights, say longer studs in the double backers and shorter studs in the single backers.

I'd go with the pattern on the right, it will be fine, the one on the left I think will vibrate funny from running over the outside wheels. And for what its worth you might think about replacing the track with 6000 miles on it if it's a tuned sled. They tend to start pulling out at this mileage.
Okay, thanks for the insight. I'm that guy who comes home after every ride and puts a wrench on every stud looking for a soft one and often have to change one or 2 when the tips shear off. Original owner seemed to be very gentle on the track and I've it's only been tuned for the last 1700 miles. I do have a new track and every drive bearing ready to swap as soon as something changes down there. Also with everything i know to align, on solid smooth ice even if I roll on it, my sled pulls hard left. The other 2 cats don't so I was hoping to cure that as well... either way, I'm going to try it, our season is just about to start up here. Makes sense about the vibrations of staggering them, was thinking more about balance and hadn't considered that.. cheers.

They tend to J hook on scared up ice and go sideways on the hole shot. V patterns should be avoided because the next stud in line is too close to the next and falls into that grove. The stager should be greater than what a v pattern provides.

V patterns are a rookie mistake made by lots of tuners, see it all the time. Sometimes they go down track if the ice is good, most often then not they will j hook or spin like crazy. Consistency with great traction wins drag races and final rounds even when ice is shot and scarred all to hell, a v pattern will never go to a final round in ice drags or be on a good tuners machine at a serious ice drag race event.

Are you taking appointments for stud install? :)

Back