• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

UnderTunnel Exhaust Pros and Cons ?

dubweiser

VIP Member
well I've never started an introduction thread for myself....so here we go

just started snowmobiling last year....bought a 98 XCR700 and promply flipped it into the woods first trip out....next day purchased an 06 MXZ600SDI and loved it, traded it in this year after getting stuck numerous times in deep snow for a 2013 Nytro XTX1.75...........hated it for the first few hundred km's, it has grown on me and love it for the most part now

so my question, I don't like the quietness of the sled, I want to hear exhaust, not motor and belt noise

I was thinking of just doing a barker slip on, but have been toying with the idea of the undertunnel and seat skinz setup

whats the pros and cons or doing the undertunnel ? i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to sled, I've searched and lurked for a bit on here, any real opinions would be great

here's some pics to make it official :)

don't mind the skidoo snocross helmet in the last picture, lol, its the only snocross helmet I have that's actually warm

I ran an under tunnel exhaust for 2 seasons and had issues with the exhaust contacting the track when the trails got rough. I loved the space it opened up on the tunnel, but I switched back to stock location this year, with a hindle set up. Completely satisfied with it, just got to figure out how to carry extra gas now. I have a few ideas.

that's my worry too, I was thinking of running 1.83 studs due to my occasional river running and overheating in low snow

dubweiser said:
that's my worry too, I was thinking of running 1.83 studs due to my occasional river running and overheating in low snow

im removing my undertunnel setup this summer and going back above tunnel. the extra space is nice but the under tunnel exhaust traps heat, melts snow just enough to freeze to the tunnel then turns into a large ice brick...

anything larger than a 1.45" studs and you are in for a lot of problems... with the track you have you shouldnt use studs its a moderate to deep snow track, with alright hard trail manners... nothing more... get yourself some scratchers to deal with the overheating.

I have the cable style scratchers already, still over heats running on the ice with minimal snow....I know...no #*$&@ right

you're bringing up good points for not going undertunnel.....its looks pretty sweet though, especially with the skinz seat

what to do.....what to do.....

I have to second the hindle suggestion! Put mine on this year and totally impressed with it. Ran against my buddy with 1.5 crossover and I get him every time, even if he gets a better start I can reel him in and pass him.

Cable scratchers aren't going to do very much in icy conditions, you'll need the spring steel type scratchers for best results.

Hoping there are some happy results out there, I was thinking about building a homebrew system this summer based on some of the builds I've seen. Might be more guys doing the under tunnel on the mountain side?

i have an SDR system and love it, the space on the tunnel is worth it. it does build up ice tho, but a kick on the tunnel and the ice falls right off. sounds great too. im thinking of running a pipe from my muffler out the back of the tunnel, she was bogging a little in the deep stuff...

I recomend the undertunnel on a xtx or mtn, but not a shorty, and def not with studs.
I have a xtx with a tachcardia undertunnel, and its great.
I liked it so much i made one with a jardine can on my shorty, which i bought studded, and i had to adjust my suspension to avoid contact with the studs, and it still will hit under extremes. problem is placement, xtx the can is above fixed idler, on shorty its way back by bumper and the rear idler actually comes way up there to hit it. also the xtx has transfer rods so you could adjust it out if needed, the shorty has dual limiter straps...a very gay arrangement.

I'm in the middle of installing the new Bikeman muffler that has an insert so you can run it in race set up (loud!) or you can run a tunnel dump.

Mounts just like a traditional exhaust but with the insert in for trail & tunnel dump it's 1db louder than stock & 9.3hp increase.

I'm also installing the Skinz seat so Bikeman had mine ceramic coated silver to look cool :)

Back