• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upper Idler Wheel

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
I went to change my Torsion Springs on my 2014 LTX SE, so I went ahead and ordered a pair of upper idler wheels incase I damage them trying to get them off. When I got the old ones off, I noticed they were smaller than the new ones I ordered. The old ones measure roughly 6 1/4" in diameter and the new ones measure 7" in diameter. I went online and checked the parts fiche and noticed the the 2014 LTX SE (part # 8JP-G7312-00-00) model indeed lists a different part number than even the 2014 LTX DX (part # 8JX-G7312-00-00) model.

I then looked at the 2015's and the 2016's and they seem to list the wheels that are on the LTX DX model (part # 8JX-G7312-00-00).

So I'm scratching my head as to why the 2014 Part Fiche lists a different upper idler wheel for the LTX SE vs. the DX model and all newer models on the LTX SE's for 2015 and beyond. The big question is why is there a difference to what I just took off from the old (stock) to what the fiche lists? Will it be okay to run the 7" ones and will there be any noticeable difference?

I would like to figure this out before I try putting the skid back in. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mine on my 14 RTX are 7" hopefully someone with a LTX can measure theirs for you. I love that cat makes changes hopefully for the better but I HATE the fact they do it without documenting ALL the changes so dealers and us know what is going on.

Mine on my 14 RTX are 7" hopefully someone with a LTX can measure theirs for you. I love that cat makes changes hopefully for the better but I HATE the fact they do it without documenting ALL the changes so dealers and us know what is going on.

Thanks @cannondale27 . Interesting that the ones I took off measure smaller at 6 1/4" but the fiche lists the 7".

Anybody else with a '14 LTX SE that has their sled nearby to measure?

Just got outta bed to measure mine lol 2014 Ltx-se 6-1/4" on mine.
Ha, thanks Studroes for getting out of bed to measure yours! LOL I wonder why they changed these to 7" for the '14's but they are back to the 6-1/4" on the 15's and 16's. Hmmmmmm. I guess I'll try the 7" to she if she likes it.

I would think the bigger wheels are better. The clearance must be there if they run the larger wheels in other model years. That's the only area I would look.

MS

I would think the bigger wheels are better. The clearance must be there if they run the larger wheels in other model years. That's the only area I would look.

MS
Thanks Sevey. Cannondale's '14 RTX has the 7" on his, so I'm assuming the clearance should be fine. Looks like I'll go ahead and put the skid back in this weekend. Thanks!

Weren't there some complaints early on about the track rubbing on the tunnel protectors? I know it was figured that its would've came from really hard braking rather than acceleration unless there's a chance that the track was ballooning that much. I never seen it on my Ltx but I know I seen some pictures of it from others.

Mine puts rubber on the protectors. No sign of wear on track from it though. 8000 mi. I do wish some more LTX owners would check theirs. Would like to confirm that 7" is in some. RTX has different suspension mounting but I have never measured clearance difference between LTX and RTX.

Mine puts rubber on the protectors. No sign of wear on track from it though. 8000 mi. I do wish some more LTX owners would check theirs. Would like to confirm that 7" is in some. RTX has different suspension mounting but I have never measured clearance difference between LTX and RTX.

I ordered a set of 6-1/4" as I might wait to put those on since that is what was on before. I have absolutely no black marks on my tunnel protectors. Yes, it would be nice if other LTX owners could measure their upper idler wheels to confirm what they have.

Aren't the bearings replaceable on the originals?
They are, but I ended up damaging the wheels a bit getting them off. I didn't have the right crowbar, until it was too late. Oh well, new set on order.

Back