• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Van Amburg advice

99669apex

Extreme
So this summer my plans are to bring my Apex to the next level. I’ve been doing some research and am leaning towards installing a Van Amburg bumper kit since it has the features I’m looking for, better running boards and it just looks cool!

What experience do you guys have with aftermarket tunnels/bumper kits, brands, quality, ease of installation etc?

I know to most, the next level is a turbo but that isn’t going to happen. I listed the updates I’ve done to the sled already but any other suggestions are appreciated.

Boss seat

Arctic FX wrap

Avid drivers

Billet wheels with a two-wheel rear axle

Ice Age rails (3 color powder coated)

Timbersled rear suspension with all recent updates

New Camoplast track (I can’t remember which one at this point though)

SlyDog Powder Hound skis to match the skid

Sounds like a great project. I have read that there is a few fitting issues with ve but nothing that cant be overcome, cr has a better fit but like you said doesn't look near as good. when you do this please post lots of pics as im considering it too at a later date.

VE Boondock Bumper Kit

I am in the process of completing a boondock bumper kit on my apex at this very moment and I have to say, that this thing is going to rock! I have to question the comments regarding fitment problems as I couldn't believe the level of detail that is incorporated into the design of the kit such that it fit so well. It's not for the faint of heart and I have worked with VE stuff before and in my opinion it is top notch stuff. I can try to get some pics of the installation to you and I would be able to offer some great advice based on my installation experience.

Corey

Personally I would do undertunnel exhaust and timbersled front suspension to loose even more weight. And timbersled drop brackets.

zoomer said:
Personally I would do undertunnel exhaust and timbersled front suspension to loose even more weight. And timbersled drop brackets.

The stock front end on the Apex is bullet proof from my experience. I'm not looking for a weight reduction with this project anyway. I don't see where a tunnel dump exhaust would have any benefits especially in neck deep snow.

99669apex said:
zoomer said:

The stock front end on the Apex is bullet proof from my experience. I'm not looking for a weight reduction with this project anyway. I don't see where a tunnel dump exhaust would have any benefits especially in neck deep snow.

Sorry, I was assuming you were trying to get it lighter as well. I do agree with the stock front end pretty much being bullet proof. And the only thing a tunnel dump really does is loose weight. No power gained from it.

EDIT: I do have better boards and they seem to work nice. Whatever doesn't fall through the holes melts quite quickly from the exposed heat exchangers.

zoomer said:
99669apex said:
zoomer said:

Sorry, I was assuming you were trying to get it lighter as well. I do agree with the stock front end pretty much being bullet proof. And the only thing a tunnel dump really does is loose weight. No power gained from it.

EDIT: I do have better boards and they seem to work nice. Whatever doesn't fall through the holes melts quite quickly from the exposed heat exchangers.

My opinion on the Barkbuster is based on the old design and I haven't seen enough written on the new spindle set up. Don't get me wrong I like the looks of the Barkbuster and the benefits that go with it but the only changes I would consider to the front end at this point would be a set of Fox Floats.

My biggest opposition to a tunnel dump is based on style. Those dual pipes out the back look SWEET! Its funny, my Ski Doo driving buddies bust my chops about the weight of my sled but after sitting on the trail planning our next move through the trees, they huddle around my pipes to warm their hands!

Any one want to do mine. ;):D .And as far as the front end goes..I would never change anything on the sled..These yamatons do not turn fast in the trees..I have hit trees more than a couple of times..and at 25mph and went over the bars and the sled has even had the #*$&@ end spin around from the momentum..and after cutting the 4-6 inche tree..the sled is fine..broke many 2-3 inche trees..lol..and its always just one ski at a time..and my front end is still all good..keep the tank front end..

Thats the beauty of the VE bumper kit setup, the drop brackets are incorporated into the design so you can ditch the factory ones, they have redesigned running boards similar to better boards for better snow removal, and they take off the factory heat exchangers underneath the boards too and run the water through the running board edges to a new heat exchanger that is mounted underneath the rear of the tunnel. It even has a gas rack incorporated too! Like I said, it is a freaking sweet setup! I'll get some pics this weekend...

Theicor said:
Thats the beauty of the VE bumper kit setup, the drop brackets are incorporated into the design so you can ditch the factory ones, they have redesigned running boards similar to better boards for better snow removal, and they take off the factory heat exchangers underneath the boards too and run the water through the running board edges to a new heat exchanger that is mounted underneath the rear of the tunnel. It even has a gas rack incorporated too! Like I said, it is a freaking sweet setup! I'll get some pics this weekend...

Did you end up getting the dual pass heat exchanger or just go with the standard setup? Did you have VE powder coat it for you too? How much did they nail you for shipping?

Thanks

I went with the single pass exchanger as my motor is pretty much stock. Mike said that the dual pass is for higher HP applications, i.e. turbo, NOS, supercharger, etc. I did decide to spring for the powdercoating as well and went with black. Id' have to look up my reciept to check on the shipping, but it was a bit spendy, but better than truck freight. I want to say it was like $160 for shipping, but I would have to confirm. I didn't get a chance to get pics over the weekend, and I should be finishing it up tonight, so I'll try to get some yet.

Corey

Hey Corey, I am contemplating doing this to my attak and stretching with mtn tamer w/144" rails. Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the install.

Also does having the 144", would I need a 144 or 146" track? Any recomendations on drivers? 8T, 9T or 10T?

Thanks,
Dan

Back