• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Venture MP 500 VERY hard starting, help plz and thx

ThirstyBeaver

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Venture Multi Purpose
Hi Guys,

I am having issues starting my 2008 venture MP. I purchased it this fall and it was running Ok the first couple trips. I parked it, and the next time I went to use it, it wouldn't start. I replaced the spark plugs and it fired up with ease. I took it out to the lake, it started just fine but when I went to leave after a number of hours, it was insanely hard to start. It was to the point that I actually drained the battery with attempts. I had spare battery with me and put that on, and eventually with a combination of turning it over and hitting the throttle, it sputtered and I was able to give it gas until it ran.

Once running, it appears to operate perfectly. So I parked it, left it for a few hours, and went out to try it again... same problem. In a very similar amount of messing around, I was able to get it running but every time I leave it for a little while, even more than 15 minutes, its very very hard to start.

I pulled the gas tank off today and and pulled the plugs. They were wet with fuel but not fouled and spraying quick start into the air breather doesn't make it fire. I tested both the ignition coils and had spark. The fuel pump is working and when I turn it over, it pumps gas.

Thanks in advance for taking the Time to consider my issue and offer any ideas as to what I might try next.

Are there any codes flashing on the gauge pod? How many KM on the sled? I'm thinking a coil may be weak and recovers with the extra voltage from the stator once running. I had a completely failed coil that produced spark but had physical damage at the plug end. It would start and run on the one cylinder if I goosed the throttle while cranking.

I had good luck with this coil from RMStator. I sold the sled right after so I can't vouch for its longevity but it worked. If you order two, you get a 15% discount.
https://www.rmstator.com/en_ca/prod...phazer-500-venture-500-2006-2015-rm06036-s318

Hi MooseMan,

Thanks for the reply. The sled has 7000 kms on it now. It shows codes for the air intake sensor, oil sensor, TORS, and reverse open circuit. As you mentioned before, I think some of the codes are from the past and im not sure how to delete the prior codes but I actually purchased one of those aftermarket coils prior. It fits but the rubber diaphragm doesn't seal nicely like the original one as they are slightly different. I installed that in the cylinder that had the slightly weaker looking spark. I won't know if it really worked until I let it sit for a number of hours to see if the problem persists. Fingers crossed that solves the issue but I'll keep you posted. Perhaps, the weak coil also contributed to the plugs getting fouled? Thanks again for your response! I really appreciate it, cheers

Hi Guys,

So, I went out this morning and tried a few more things. I checked the diagnostic for the air intake sensor and it was reading the outside air temperature perfectly to what the weather was doing prior to touching anything. I tried swapping ignition coils around without any luck. It appears that the spark is fairly weak. I put my battery booster pack on it and it still didn't seem like the spark was very good to me.

I am not sure what to try next honestly... the plugs always come out wet so it's getting fuel. the air intake sensor is functioning as far as I can tell. I'm going to try and test the voltage at the coil plugs and see what they are getting but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

You can check the resistances of the coils themselves.
Coil testing.jpg

might have an issue with the wiring going to the coil like kirkswim did. he also had 2 wrong spec coils from an aftermarket vendor that caused issues as well. as his brother, we found out from travis that the apex coil sub harness does work on a phazer but you have to cut and splice it in as the phazer one is not replaceable.

So to clarify what maim is saying. The plug from the harness for the coil on mine had an issue. When I removed the wires from the plug(small srewdriver to remove yellow tab inside plug then a small paper clip straightened to help unclimbed wire from inside plug) I discovered that there was only 4 strands of copper connected to the female part of the plug in the harness the rest of the strands were broken and copper was starting to discolour. I get a plug from barn of parts spliced it in now runs and starts better than it ever has.

Back