• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Experts, Talk to me please.

WillowAce

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper L-TX-DX - Sold
2019 Switchback XCR - Sold
2015 Viper L-TX-LE
2019 Renegade 850 - In the shed just in case
2020 Viper L-TX-SE
I've been looking for another Viper for some time now, specifically a blue and orange LE. Well I finally found one, a 2014 that has seen demo service but is still being sold as new with warranty. It has just over 800 miles on it so almost broken in. My question is; is there anything with the 2014 model year that I need to watch out for? What upgrades have been done to newer model years? I know they changed suspension settings, skis, and the engine in 2016, but is there any reason to stay away from the 2014? Thank you in advance.

Mine LTX LE was a early build dealer display sled. All,updates were done prior to my buying it so no issues at all. Almost nothing changed until mid year 16 so I wouldn't be nervous of the early build. depending on model, you may want to revalve rear shocks.. Valving was way off in 15.

Last edited:
Valving was way off in 15.
Did you change shocks in the front also? I believe the 2014 had floats on the front, which I understand were not a good match. I saw your video about the revalve job, ma

I've been looking for another Viper for some time now, specifically a blue and orange LE. Well I finally found one, a 2014 that has seen demo service but is still being sold as new with warranty. It has just over 800 miles on it so almost broken in. My question is; is there anything with the 2014 model year that I need to watch out for? What upgrades have been done to newer model years? I know they changed suspension settings, skis, and the engine in 2016, but is there any reason to stay away from the 2014? Thank you in advance.

2014 is a great year in my opinion, definitely the best year for skis, 2015+ with the tuner skis are not a good match. The 2014 cat skis are great, just need to upgrade the carbides. Rear shocks came valved very poorly, but for $200 cannondale27 can hook u up there with an amazing ride! I didn't care for the floats for trail riding, coil over shocks were a better match for me so I sold the floats off my 2014 ltx se and bought a set of coil overs and Ended up being $100 ahead on that deal. Things I'd make sure got done on a 2014 before u sign the papers..there was an update in the chaincase..just a small piece was added with a spring that locks the chaincase into drive..there were some issues early on with sleds poping out of forward and into "neutral" so to speak. Also there was a service bulletin to check the fuel line, some lines were a bit too short and didn't fit on to the barbed part of a fitting good enough and there were some cases of the fuel lines coming off because of that. There has been a couple ecu updates since 2014..all these things should be able to see if they've been done by the dealer running the vin #, to be honest if it were me and the sled is still on the original 2014 ecu I'd tell the dealer not to update it. My 2014 still has original ecu and it runs phenomenal. If you get some miles on it and notice some qwerks in the start (hot/cold start issues) or anything else out of the ordinary then go for a current ecu update. If you're getting some warranty with it and you're pleased with the price I'd say jump on it, vipers are all around an awesome machine!..but just be aware that you more than likely won't be pleased with the ride until you get those rear shocks revalved.

All the above is spot on!!!!
JUST DON’T have dealer touch the 14 ecu mapping!!!!

2014 is a great year in my opinion
Okay, I'm not sure that it is a 2014. The dealer has it listed as a 14, but from what I see neither the LE or blue and orange were available in 14 making it a 15? Does that sound right?

Yes it’s a 15.
When I snow checked my 15 ltx dx
The le models were that color scheme.

2014 is a great year in my opinion, definitely the best year for skis, 2015+ with the tuner skis are not a good match. The 2014 cat skis are great, just need to upgrade the carbides. Rear shocks came valved very poorly, but for $200 cannondale27 can hook u up there with an amazing ride! I didn't care for the floats for trail riding, coil over shocks were a better match for me so I sold the floats off my 2014 ltx se and bought a set of coil overs and Ended up being $100 ahead on that deal. Things I'd make sure got done on a 2014 before u sign the papers..there was an update in the chaincase..just a small piece was added with a spring that locks the chaincase into drive..there were some issues early on with sleds poping out of forward and into "neutral" so to speak. Also there was a service bulletin to check the fuel line, some lines were a bit too short and didn't fit on to the barbed part of a fitting good enough and there were some cases of the fuel lines coming off because of that. There has been a couple ecu updates since 2014..all these things should be able to see if they've been done by the dealer running the vin #, to be honest if it were me and the sled is still on the original 2014 ecu I'd tell the dealer not to update it. My 2014 still has original ecu and it runs phenomenal. If you get some miles on it and notice some qwerks in the start (hot/cold start issues) or anything else out of the ordinary then go for a current ecu update. If you're getting some warranty with it and you're pleased with the price I'd say jump on it, vipers are all around an awesome machine!..but just be aware that you more than likely won't be pleased with the ride until you get those rear shocks revalved.
Well said, and for insurance add a fourth wheel kit at the back. I don't trust the tri-hub!

Did you change shocks in the front also? I believe the 2014 had floats on the front, which I understand were not a good match. I saw your video about the revalve job, ma
No, I just added the Hygear Dual Pressure Kit. Great add on for the Float threes. Much plusher and not as harsh on compression bottoming.

Okay, I'm not sure that it is a 2014. The dealer has it listed as a 14, but from what I see neither the LE or blue and orange were available in 14 making it a 15? Does that sound right?
If it was a dealer display, it was built in 14 in the 15 color scheme. They were built at the end of the 14 model year run and shipped to dealers in spring for summer display. They were technically a 15 model, but they didn't have any of the updates that came on the 15 model year. Those updates were done at dealer prior to sale. Not sure how many of each model were built, but my LTX is #218 built in February 2014, which is before the 15s were even unveiled.

If it was a dealer display, it was built in 14 in the 15 color scheme.
Will see in the morning. Heading to the dealer with the checkbook and a trailer. Might have it in the U.P. in time for dinner.

Will see in the morning. Heading to the dealer with the checkbook and a trailer. Might have it in the U.P. in time for dinner.
Either way, still a great sled. I've got both the LTX and XTX in Blue and Orange.

I've got both the LTX
I wish it were an LTX, but blue and orange is getting hard to find. Did yours come standard with reverse and heated seat?

Back