• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper LTX DX -Track Change bigger paddles

CharlieAZ

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha SRViper LTX DX and 2005 Yamaha Vector RS ER makeover 2017/2018
AOL
Palmercmp0466@aol.com
Greetings!

One thing I am realizing is, that while snowmobiling in my home state, more often then not I am in loose powder on the Forestry Roads, and most times Very Deep ... Not a bad thing , but I am thinking I may have to change my setup some... This year I went with a Wider Ski, opting for 7 inch Skydog Powerhounds... This alone has helped a lot, along with Lithium battery for significant weight reduction but thinking a New Track would help even more, wonder if anyone has done it , and if so , what Track did you go with?

On a side note, I have done this with my 05 Vector along with Rail extension and WOW , I am loving it all over again....

Thanks!
Charlie

There will be many opinions but I am sold on the 1.75” Backcountry X track as the ultimate on and off trail crossover track. Anything taller and the lugs will will have a tendency to fold over during on trail acceleration and braking. This is the track that the BTX’s and some of the newer XTX’s use. I put 700 miles on a Backcountry X last year and I have been extremely impressed with its performance. Of course if all of your riding is off trail you may want to consider trading up to a different sled with a longer track and a suspension that is designed for off trail riding.

I run a 1.75 backcountry and a 1.6 cobra on my vipers. Love them both. Both great on and off trail. The backcountry is a tad more to the off trail side and cobra to the trail. So depends on what you like.

My buddy and I recently bought Sidewinders. I have the LTX-DX with the standard track (like the Viper) and like it, but I have not tried anything off trail. My buddy bought the LTX-LE which comes standard with the 1.6 cobra, and he loves it. I know that my dealer had (and sold) a Sidewinder with a 137" track that had the backcountry 1.75" on it; it was billed as an XTX. So, you can clearly get the 1.6 Cobra or the 1.75 backcountry to fit your Viper. I suspect that you will have to change your gearing if you make the swap.

Thank you All very much... after reviewing your replies and checking out the Tracks , I am thinking about going with the 1.6... I will have to look more into the gearing to see what needs to be done there.. Thanks again for your help! Charlie

I did not rehear for either track swap with no issues.
Best Deal I found so far , for the 1.6 Cobra is 590 + 30 dollars for delivery... That seems pretty good? Thanks Charlie

Yes it does. I got lucky and got the 1.6 from a member here that was virtually a new take off. He was a local friend so I didn’t even have to pay shipping. But I took it in the rear on the 1.75 cause I had dealer do it when ordered.

I really wish the 141" had the same tracks available as the 137". I'd personally go 1.6 Ice Cobra, or the new Hurricane (basically a 3rd rendition of the backcountry) if I had a 137" 50/50 sled. If you really want to go nuts you have the same tunnel length as the XTX and could fit a 146" with extensions.

Best Deal I found so far , for the 1.6 Cobra is 590 + 30 dollars for delivery... That seems pretty good? Thanks Charlie
Keep shopping. You should be able to have a delivered price under $600. The vendor that I’ve used in the past would save you money. Unfortunately, they are not a site sponsor so I don’t want to post their name. Feel free to message me if you’d like the info.

I wasn’t familiar with the Camso Hurricane. It’s design intrigues me and it would probably be the track I would select if I were shopping for a track today. I also see that the price on the Back Country has dropped a little bit. Both are currently less money than the Cobra. I’m a little bit leery of the skinnier lugs on the 1.6 inch Cobra. It seems to me I had so heard some feedback of the lugs beginning to fold over as the track aged. Again, no first-hand experience only hearsay. The Backcountry and the new Camso Hurricane have a more stout lug design. -PeeWee

I've run the 1.25 Ripsaw2, then the 1.6 Cobra for part of a season before switching to a 2" Backcountry. The 1.6 Cobra was okay, but just doesn't hook up like the Backcountry does. Even in its 2" lug height, the Backcountry lugs are stiff and do not fold. It hooks up in loose snow as well as hardpack, and has turned my LTX into a fun short-track boondocker. It still surprises me where I can go with this sled as my main riding group is primarily 141s and 153s. After having run all three, I would not go back to the 1.6 Cobra. Least I would go for a good crossover would be the 1.75 Backcountry.

Keep shopping. You should be able to have a delivered price under $600. The vendor that I’ve used in the past would save you money. Unfortunately, they are not a site sponsor so I don’t want to post their name. Feel free to message me if you’d like the info.

I wasn’t familiar with the Camso Hurricane. It’s design intrigues me and it would probably be the track I would select if I were shopping for a track today. I also see that the price on the Back Country has dropped a little bit. Both are currently less money than the Cobra. I’m a little bit leery of the skinnier lugs on the 1.6 inch Cobra. It seems to me I had so heard some feedback of the lugs beginning to fold over as the track aged. Again, no first-hand experience only hearsay. The Backcountry and the new Camso Hurricane have a more stout lug design. -PeeWee
Hows the Hurricane pricing compared to the Cobra 1.6? Thanks Charlie

I've run the 1.25 Ripsaw2, then the 1.6 Cobra for part of a season before switching to a 2" Backcountry. The 1.6 Cobra was okay, but just doesn't hook up like the Backcountry does. Even in its 2" lug height, the Backcountry lugs are stiff and do not fold. It hooks up in loose snow as well as hardpack, and has turned my LTX into a fun short-track boondocker. It still surprises me where I can go with this sled as my main riding group is primarily 141s and 153s. After having run all three, I would not go back to the 1.6 Cobra. Least I would go for a good crossover would be the 1.75 Backcountry.
Good Points, I will take a look at Backcountry 1.75 too ...

Good Points, I will take a look at Backcountry 1.75 too ...
Just a side note: the backcountry and the backcountry X are the same track. The only difference between the two is the drive pitch. 3” for the Backcountry X and 2.86” for the Backcountry.

I messaged you a link. -PeeWee

Back