• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

viper mpi turbo questions

angell

Can you spring order a viper mtx with the mpi turbo below 5000ft? Would like to order one but not sure yamaha warranties the kit for use at sea level.

Anyone know if they will give the power surge program for sea level riders?

Yes they will still warranty the sled with a turbo at sea level. I would recommend you keep it below 6psi and only run 90+ octane. We have been selling kits for years at sea level with great luck and reliability.

would love a mpi turbo from mpi but im a flatlander. How much money and work in changing that turbo from mountain to flat land elevation? is it do able bc gas would be a issues on some far rides. Can you carry octane boost with you to help with bad gas. and any way to tell if the gas is lower on octane than what needs to be? gauges? lights ?please need info wanting to do snow check by april 14. thanks for the input!

The kit they are supplying for the mountain guys can be used anywhere, not just mtn use. If you plan on using it at sea level like many of us do, you will need to set your boost at 5 or so psi. This doesn't cost a thing, ever kit is adjustable to a certain extent via a wastegate connected to the turbo. If you want to adjust the boost while riding for higher or lower conditions I would recommend a boost controller of some sort, wether it be electronic or I prefer a manual they can turn the boost up or down quickly for changes in elevation. As for fuel I recommend only running premium, it will be happy at sea level on premium at a max of 6 psi. If you are questionable on the fuel use a additive such as torco accelerator, been using that for years with great success and motors are clean with no deposits like av or leaded race fuels.
I always recommend a boost gauge. It's imperative to know how much boost your pushing through your motor. These can range from 50 up to 150. I like running the autometer 5401 liquid filled boost gauge. The liquid steadies the needle to give a exact reading and it's a large face gauge that's visible. I also run a afr gauge to ensure my fueling is right. Once set though the fuel settings don't need to be adjusted usually. It's a nice tool to have so you know what's going on however most people opt not to use one. I use it to ensure I can setup other peoples sleds correctly for our low altitudes in alaska, so they don't have to mess with it.
Hope this shed some light on the matter. Boost is awesome and a ton of fun. Talk with your local dealer and see what their knowledge is on it and if your comfortable with the help they give you. If not call Matt at MPI as he's a good source of info. Lots of these kits running around this year at sea level with great success.

HYFLYR said:
The kit they are supplying for the mountain guys can be used anywhere, not just mtn use. If you plan on using it at sea level like many of us do, you will need to set your boost at 5 or so psi. This doesn't cost a thing, ever kit is adjustable to a certain extent via a wastegate connected to the turbo. If you want to adjust the boost while riding for higher or lower conditions I would recommend a boost controller of some sort, wether it be electronic or I prefer a manual they can turn the boost up or down quickly for changes in elevation. As for fuel I recommend only running premium, it will be happy at sea level on premium at a max of 6 psi. If you are questionable on the fuel use a additive such as torco accelerator, been using that for years with great success and motors are clean with no deposits like av or leaded race fuels.
I always recommend a boost gauge. It's imperative to know how much boost your pushing through your motor. These can range from 50 up to 150. I like running the autometer 5401 liquid filled boost gauge. The liquid steadies the needle to give a exact reading and it's a large face gauge that's visible. I also run a afr gauge to ensure my fueling is right. Once set though the fuel settings don't need to be adjusted usually. It's a nice tool to have so you know what's going on however most people opt not to use one. I use it to ensure I can setup other peoples sleds correctly for our low altitudes in alaska, so they don't have to mess with it.
Hope this shed some light on the matter. Boost is awesome and a ton of fun. Talk with your local dealer and see what their knowledge is on it and if your comfortable with the help they give you. If not call Matt at MPI as he's a good source of info. Lots of these kits running around this year at sea level with great success.
Will they sell it on a xtx version or you got get the mt. Sled To Get The Turbo At 2500??

It's not available on the xtx model for powersurge however talk with your dealer and I'm sure they can get you a turbo at a fair price.

dlinebacker36w said:
Right if the dealer has to install it why would it matter if it's on xtx or mtx ..??
The dealer does not have to install it, actually it costs more if the dealer installs it.

HYFLYR said:
It's not available on the xtx model for powersurge however talk with your dealer and I'm sure they can get you a turbo at a fair price.

That's not exactly true. The XTX LE is available for the power surge turbo program. Yamaha has made this as clear as mud. If anyone needs help on this let me know.

I am in eastern Canada at sea level, I have contacted a least 5 dealers in the maritimes and all have same answer " no turbo/warranty at elev. below 6000'". Too bad want to buy 2015 MTX but no turbo/warranty = no deal

I want turbo a 2015 viper xtx se 1.6 cobra. Install turbo myself. Hopefully they will deal with me I spoke with my dealer last week and 15 xtx se is 12733 out the door. But they couldn't give me any answers on my turbo concerns or questions. I also considering trying and upgrade to the fox evols that only come on rtx le version. Anybody have them over what comes with sled thoughts ?? Worth it or not thanks for all the information.

i just ordered a xtx le turbo and 5 years warrnty.. my dealer was surprised the system let them enter it they were actually unaware until i made him try it after reading it online...

mattyg1405 said:
i just ordered a xtx le turbo and 5 years warrnty.. my dealer was surprised the system let them enter it they were actually unaware until i made him try it after reading it online...
Kinda late now though or you think the dealer cold add on still?

Back