• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Skid plate

That's what i hear so I was considering buying a few for the new sleds. Our old Phazers had a lot of bruises and scraps but held up well with close to 5000 miles of boondocking but the belly of the viper seams to be pretty lite duty underneath.

Has anyone used this rear skid plate? Is the plastic even thick enough to protect the belly?

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/rear-skid-plate?b=Snowmobile&d=3&f=2015|33[/QUOTE

I have been looking for a skid plate i like since last march.
Theres quite a few available but nothing that really excites me.
The aluminum skid plates dont cover any of the side plastics. Just not enough protection area for me.
In my opinion, The plastic ones you have a link to work good are the best option but there is a ton of room for improvement and they are not as strong and supportive as i would like.

I have been looking at the RPM composites skid plate. My buddy runs on on his doo 1200.
the skidplate is built like a tank. Ive seen him hit stuff that should have totaled his sled multiple times but it bounces right off without a scratch every time. These things are amazing.
It is designed to fit the 2012-2013 xf chassis and i believe from what i have read it will fit the 2014-2015 as well.
It seems to me that The fitment issue is that the 7000 series sleds (viper included) have the exhaust exiting in a different area. More forward of the normal xf exit point.
I have been kicking around the idea of buying an rpm composite and trying to fit it to my viper by enlarging or moving the exhaust hole.
Unfortunately for the money they cost, I just dont have enough info to go on at this point..

Maybe you want to be the guinni pig and test this theory out? Lol!

I put the skid plate on my LTX. I have mixed feelings about it. It does offer some protection. The plastic is fairly thick and the ribs offer extra support. The protection for the exhaust is an added benefit. Looks as though it should help it to keep it clear in the deep snow.
The down side is it is a little of a PITA when it comes to the oil change since u have to pull it to get the filter. Mine also seems to collect a little extra snow and ice.
I do think I would do it again though. Adds a little protection.

I put the skid plate on my LTX. I have mixed feelings about it. It does offer some protection. The plastic is fairly thick and the ribs offer extra support. The protection for the exhaust is an added benefit. Looks as though it should help it to keep it clear in the deep snow.
The down side is it is a little of a PITA when it comes to the oil change since u have to pull it to get the filter. Mine also seems to collect a little extra snow and ice.
Why is it a pain to pull off for oil changes? does it just bolt on ?

X2. I think I have a few pictures I took of the mounting provisions mine has in the footwell area which a couple of people requested last December. If I can find them I will post here.

Footwell pictures attached!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412471096.248786.jpg
Left Footwell
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412471137.709446.jpg
Right Footwell

The added Footwell hardware is the Black screw and nylock nuts you see in the footwell. You can't see the second inner screw in the right footwell. But it is there.

Last edited:
bought mine and turned around and sold it to michmobiler...... good luck with that install.... way to much work for the very little protection and added hassle when having to do oil changes.. not worth it in my opinion. My sled has 2400 miles and one scratch on the bottom... :-o

bought mine and turned around and sold it to michmobiler...... good luck with that install.... way to much work for the very little protection and added hassle when having to do oil changes.. not worth it in my opinion. My sled has 2400 miles and one scratch on the bottom... :-o

Do you ride trails mostly or boondock?

Back