• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Turbo high exhaust temps

Norse

Pro
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2013 Arctic Cat M1100 HCR 162"
Boondocker turbo 250HP(sold)

2016 Yamaha SR Viper MTX LE 162"
MCXpress 270HP, lots of mods (sold)

2021 Arctic Cat M8000 Hardcore Alpha 155"
N/A (sold)

2023 Yamaha SW MTX LE 153"
M&M Racing 270HP, mods to come
High exhaust temps since day one. Right side panel now has a hole in it. Reverse actuator melted stuck. I've added side and rear panel venting, wrapped header from engine to exhaust flange. Today I discovered the wrap was burnt to pieces and the fuel tank had started melting. Exhaust does rumble a bit when I let off the throttle, assume it's an AFR problem?

have you checked the exhaust for leaks? pinholes of 1000F air melt stuff easy.

My brother and myself both have turbo vipers and neither has venting and haven't melted panels, and stick them regularly, getting them toasty hot while stuck etc.
Mine is wrapped with the amazon. com titanium whatever exhaust wrap and his isn't, and no change really. I should bring a digital thermo this winter and see if it helped me at all. i wrapped from 4 inches towards the motor from the turbo all the way thru the exhaust tip.

burning thru the wrap tells me air is probably forcing past it somehow.....

Thanks for your insights. Pretty sure I don't have any exhaust leaks. I had to swap the header because it had a big crack in it, also swapped exhaust pipe. The wrap I used couldn't survive because it was cheap, made for 1400F.
The hole appeared where the panel is closest to the turbo (the triangular shape on the side panel) and there was a gap between the two heat shields. Turbo is now swapped to 19T.

I have to remove the side panel every time I stop to let the heat out. Sometimes the header and turbo glows brightly if I haven't let it cool down before stopping.

Another thing, the dealer told me the Koso boost gauge wasn't that accurate, they found that it showed 2psi more than actual pressure. What pressure do you run at?

Thanks for your insights. Pretty sure I don't have any exhaust leaks. I had to swap the header because it had a big crack in it, also swapped exhaust pipe. The wrap I used couldn't survive because it was cheap, made for 1400F.
The hole appeared where the panel is closest to the turbo (the triangular shape on the side panel) and there was a gap between the two heat shields. Turbo is now swapped to 19T.

I have to remove the side panel every time I stop to let the heat out. Sometimes the header and turbo glows brightly if I haven't let it cool down before stopping.

Another thing, the dealer told me the Koso boost gauge wasn't that accurate, they found that it showed 2psi more than actual pressure. What pressure do you run at?
8 psi at 10k elevation. Yes orange is bad. I would get an afr gauge. What fuel controller are you running?

8 psi at 10k elevation. Yes orange is bad. I would get an afr gauge. What fuel controller are you running?
I've been meaning to get an afr gauge.. MCX Gen 5.

I just got my first 4stroke and first Yamaha
I have mcx 270hp and mine gets that hot to,

How did it work out for you?
Never got that afr gauge I ordered from MCX. Ended up grabbing my grinder and cutting a big hole in the aftermarket sidevent. My new Sidewinder has a heat shield over the turbo and a heat wrap hanging below that next to the exhaust can, works like a charm. Dealer told me the orange color is normal on their Vipers. Bottom line is I recommend more heat wrapping. The ones on the side cover don't cover all plastics and tend to fall off.

Thank you for awnser. I will get heat wrap and try that maby a hose for the turbo as well
Im not sure hose is the right word.
Maby som heat carpet to or build a shield
When i bought it i was thinking to use it for long distance ride but now i dont know
It feel like the gas tank might melt,
Specially if it is warm in the spring
Did wrapping do a lot of different?

How Manny hp is your sidewinder? Does it need to cool down before turning of as well?

Thank you for awnser. I will get heat wrap and try that maby a hose for the turbo as well
Im not sure hose is the right word.
Maby som heat carpet to or build a shield
When i bought it i was thinking to use it for long distance ride but now i dont know
It feel like the gas tank might melt,
Specially if it is warm in the spring
Did wrapping do a lot of different?

How Manny hp is your sidewinder? Does it need to cool down before turning of as well?
My tank melted likely because the header shield had a crack. Got that welded together. I didn't get to try a turbo wrap before I sold it. I think it's better with a shield over it to let the turbo heat transfer. As long as you have an uncracked header shield you should be good.

Sidewinder is also 270hp. It's always a good idea to cool down engines before turning off. I usually run gently the last minute, then wait ~10sec. It has a shield over turbo and a "carpet" hanging off it, not heatwrap. Exhaust side plastics do get soft, but there's no damage yet. 1300 brutal kms.

Maybe i shuld make some Shield as well
Over the wrap that covers down to the exhaust sheild upp to the other sh
My tank melted likely because the header shield had a crack. Got that welded together. I didn't get to try a turbo wrap before I sold it. I think it's better with a shield over it to let the turbo heat transfer. As long as you have an uncracked header shield you should be good.

Sidewinder is also 270hp. It's always a good idea to cool down engines before turning off. I usually run gently the last minute, then wait ~10sec. It has a shield over turbo and a "carpet" hanging off it, not heatwrap. Exhaust side plastics do get soft, but there's no damage yet. 1300 brutal kms.

Ok thanks ill try wrapping the exhaust and a sheild over the turbo and some carpet
where the plastics are
I was thinking to do some small holes in front of the intake as well. I dont have the snorcle kit
And something more to get more air in on that side where the turbo is

I have extractor exhaust maby all mcx 270 kit have do you know?

Maybe i shuld make some Shield as well
Over the wrap that covers down to the exhaust sheild upp to the other sh

Ok thanks ill try wrapping the exhaust and a sheild over the turbo and some carpet
where the plastics are
I was thinking to do some small holes in front of the intake as well. I dont have the snorcle kit
And something more to get more air in on that side where the turbo is

I have extractor exhaust maby all mcx 270 kit have do you know?
Extractor exhaust?

Most 270 kits don't come with headers, but use the original manifold which tends to crack at the welds over time. With the original exhaust setup you shouldn't have afr issues. I recommend MCX steel exhaust side vent. I used plastic vents which melted.

Most 270 kits don't come with headers, but use the original manifold which tends to crack at the welds over time. With the original exhaust setup you shouldn't have afr issues. I recommend MCX steel exhaust side vent. I used plastic vents which melted.

Ok headers was the word i was looking for.
I dident get the original manifold with the sled i bought, but i will get some Wrap and a turbo cover and a carpet

I just read the Google bag traps a lots of heat in,
So i will get some vent there instead to.

Back