• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wanna make sure it starts

RedFisher

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX Warrior
2010 Apex LTX GT
I have never owned a snowmobile before, however just purchased a 2004 Yamaha RX Warrior that I will be using for ice fishing and perhaps some light casual riding. I ice fish in Manitoba and have some concerns about being stranded on Lake Winnipeg in the event the sled won't start. I will have a pop up hub shelter, and was wondering if parking the sled inside the heated tent would be good or bad. The good result - the sled will be kept warm and therefore start easier, however possibly the bad result - condensation in the gas or other moisture related problems. Of note, the sled will be stored outside when not in use under the factory cover, with stabilized fuel, and a battery tender. I will carry a battery pack with me while on the ice as well. What are your thoughts and/ or experiences?

never needed one with my 05 war but i did a crap load of reading about how the mountain guys would get them going at the cabins up on the mountain without battery chargers/hydro before i started getting brave with it. now a days, at -40, i would almost take that sled over my apex for cold weather starting. i have learned to rotate the motor with the primary clutch when it is cold out to free up the motor so it turns easier when you hit the starter.

Thanks. Is it as easy as removing the cover and rotating the primary clutch forward toward the front of the sled? Will I know when I have done it enough, i.e.: is there less resistance and does it rotate more freely

yes you turn it to the front of the sled. as the frost/cold oil get scraped off of the cylinders it with turn easier. once it does that, you are fine to hit the key to start it.

I used to do this with my 700 SXR. If you tried to pull the rope hard when it was cold it would almost rip your shoulder off. So I learned to just pull it over nice and slow a few times till it loosened up.

Thanks for the cold weather starting tips. To avoid any possible condensation issues, I will likely just leave the sled outside while ice fishing rather than in the heated tent. I could always pull the sled inside in the event it didn't start, let it warm up, and use the battery pack if the battery is dead.

I have two different models from yours but once mine are going in the morning they are good all day. On a bison hunt when it was -40 I'd just start it once in the night when I got up to take a piss. You could start yours after three or four hours. Just make sure you let it warm right up or else you will foul your plugs.

Funny enough I was in your exact place, Got an apex first than the 04 rx warrior, Got the rx warrior at the end of the season and didnt experience much issues as it wasnt as cold. But with the apex, man. Most mornings it wouldnt start, Id have to wait around till the sun came out for it to start. Doing the spark plugs and upgrading the battery helped but still wouldnt start early some days. Just cranked and popped but never caught. But once it did it was fine for the rest of the day, wouldnt be affraid of setting up in the middle of the lake and it not starting.

Make sure your battery is good !

Back