• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WARNING REPLACING CAM CHAIN TENSIONER

I'm really scared about that... if the problem is the tensioner, it's not a big problem ($$) but if it's something else... ouch! The engine did not do this sound before to be stored at the end of the season...

I have listen with a stethoscope on the tensioner and when the engine is cold I can't hear anything else than a small friction noise but when the engine is warm I can hear very clearly a rattling noise. For the valves, I can't tell that some of them make more noise than other. But the compression test scaring me, when the engine is cold, all cylinders have 140psi and when it is warm all the cylinders have 110psi. The compression is very low it supposed to be at least 179psi...

The tensioners that I found to be bad did the same thing. They made no or very little noise until the engine warmed up. I've never checked compression on an engine with a bad tensioner but if the timing chain is running loose then the valve timing may be off just enough to cause lower compression. It sounds like the tensioner is bad so I would start by replacing it then rechecking for any unusual noise and low compression.

Ok next week I will order a tensioner. I think I will order 3 exhausts gaskets (donut) in the same time and replace it during the tank is removed. Anyone have already ordered at hxxp://www.yamahapartsdepot.cxx? They have good prices, ($101.15 for the tensioner #8ES-12210-01-00 & $9.63 for each exhaust gasket #8FA-14623-00-00) As soon it will be repaired I will post the results. Thank you for giving me your opinion about about my problem!

jeff_yam said:
Ok next week I will order a tensioner. I think I will order 3 exhausts gaskets (donut) in the same time and replace it during the tank is removed. Anyone have already ordered at hxxp://www.yamahapartsdepot.cxx? They have good prices, ($101.15 for the tensioner #8ES-12210-01-00 & $9.63 for each exhaust gasket #8FA-14623-00-00) As soon it will be repaired I will post the results. Thank you for giving me your opinion about about my problem!

I would try your local dealer. I just gave my dealer the spiel about Yamaha reliablity, etc. , never got mad or?? and they changed both my tensioners.

too bad the head yamaha company wouldn't replace them free of charge since there supposed to be the most reliable sled. If my cam tensioner goes im gonna have to take it to a dealer and pay alot of $$$$ to get it fixed i know there not going to do it for a small fee. So the dealers are the ones who are replacing them free of cost right?

Yamaha has and did replace them with or without a warranty. Infact my dealer brought this issue to my attention and showed me the Yamaha Bulletin in April 0f 09 and replaced the tensioner at no charge to me. It's probabily a bit late now. 05 Vector ER.

Vectornut said:
Yamaha has and did replace them with or without a warranty. Infact my dealer brought this issue to my attention and showed me the Yamaha Bulletin in April 0f 09 and replaced the tensioner at no charge to me. It's probabily a bit late now. 05 Vector ER.
My piss-#*$&@ dealer denied any knowledge... How nice... I'm driven it until she blows. If yammie backs out of it then it's a doo for me... Hey I've ridden yammie bikes since 1966... I now ride a new trump.. Screw em.. I've had it up to my ears.. MM

MadMax said:
Vectornut said:
My piss-#*$&@ dealer denied any knowledge... How nice... I'm driven it until she blows. If yammie backs out of it then it's a doo for me... Hey I've ridden yammie bikes since 1966... I now ride a new trump.. Screw em.. I've had it up to my ears.. MM

Max - is a different dealer an option for you? How about calling Yamaha Customer Service and tell them you hear noise. Tell them your history of buying Yam's. If the guy/gal won't do it, ask to talk to a Supervisor. $10 says they'll authorize it.

you're going to run the risk of destroying an engine with a known problem for all of about $100 worth of parts and few hours work? i understand being POd but it seems like a small investment for peace of mind. might never fail, might fail next time you run it. we're doing it now on a sled my brother just brought.

WOW I haven't been on these forums for awhile, the crap you miss while being gone. After reading these posts I will be getting the Yamaha fired up on the trailer and checking for this noise. I have an 07 with less then 1500miles on it so I will be Peeed if my sled has the noise and the dealer tries to jerk me around.

I have owned many Yamaha's including 4 sportbikes. The funny thing or not so funny thing is they have had tensioner noise issues for a long time. I didn't ride my sled last year mainly friends and the wife so I don't know if this noise is there or not.

Thanks for the great information guys. I maybe hitting the forums to find my dealer rep in my area if the dealer plays games.

Jeff

BigJeff said:
WOW I haven't been on these forums for awhile, the crap you miss while being gone. After reading these posts I will be getting the Yamaha fired up on the trailer and checking for this noise. I have an 07 with less then 1500miles on it so I will be Peeed if my sled has the noise and the dealer tries to jerk me around.

I have owned many Yamaha's including 4 sportbikes. The funny thing or not so funny thing is they have had tensioner noise issues for a long time. I didn't ride my sled last year mainly friends and the wife so I don't know if this noise is there or not.

Thanks for the great information guys. I maybe hitting the forums to find my dealer rep in my area if the dealer plays games.

Jeff
i too have an 07' vector w/ about same milage. does have one has asscess to this update i read about, so i could take it to a yamaha dealer to see if they would replace mine under warranty? what i was told is that if i brought the sled in for other reasons(like a service,which i usually do my self) that"IF" they hear a noise they might replace it under warranty. thanks ;)!

Back