• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warrior Overheating? Problem - Or Normal For Conditions?

I check the coolant in my new Warrior and it is 100% ethylene glycol or very darn close. The manual states 60/40 but this for sure no where near that ratio.

Is there an easy way to drain some out to add distalled water ???

TAKE THE RIGHT SIDE PANEL OUT AND UNDO THE HOSE GOING TO THE BASE OF THE MOTOR. DRAIN ABOUT .5 GALLON OF COOLANT AND ADD WATER. THIS WOULD MAKE IT 60:40 COOLANT TO WATER RATIO. IT'S A MESS TRYING TO DRAIN IT.....

TAKE THE RIGHT SIDE PANEL OUT AND UNDO THE HOSE GOING TO THE BASE OF THE MOTOR. DRAIN ABOUT .5 GALLON OF COOLANT AND ADD WATER. THIS WOULD MAKE IT 60:40 COOLANT TO WATER RATIO. IT'S A MESS TRYING TO DRAIN IT.....

UPDATE:

I wanted to update everyone on the status of my overheating issue on my '04 Warrior.
After struggling with this for a little over a year and checking in with my local dealer periodically asking if he had any updates or service bulletins from Yamaha, I had a call last week from their Service Manager. He said that he had received a bulletin from Yamaha regarding the rear exchanger and that he would be glad to order me one. It would be $85 plus approx 2hrs (@$52/hr) labor to install. While I verbally gave him the go ahead to order it, I also plan to call Yamaha to express my frustration with this whole thing AGAIN. 1 YEAR ago I called them and was advised to talk to the dealer and request assistance from the RTA (Regional Tech Advisor). At that time the dealer told me to wait it out over the summer because that was when Yamaha traditionally reviewed service issues and issued Bulletins.

Needless to say, the Fall came and went and I had heard nothing and have been to the dealer at least 3x to discuss. During my last trip to Quebec, I was able to ride the same trail within a span of about 4 days. One time I ad to stop about every 8-15mi for the light coming on and the other time I went the entire length of the trail (about 40mi) w/NO overheating. The only difference was it was COLDER on our first pass so there was less - but seemingly enough loose snow that other machines had NO TROUBLE.

My feeling is that this is still a product deficiency and that Yamaha should correct it AT NO COST.

I will let all of you know!

VT_BluYamaha54 said:
UPDATE:
My feeling is that this is still a product deficiency and that Yamaha should correct it AT NO COST.

I will let all of you know!

Haven't heard from you all winter, nice to see you back ;)! , You must be PACKING THOSE MILES ON ;)!

I feel your Frustration as this is still my problem as well.

I was told late last winter that I was getting a Rear Exchanger from Yamaha Canada at no cost to me. I was going to put it in myself, as I made a cardboard template & fabricated two aluminum bars with brackets to protect it. When I went to order it this winter I was told that Yamaha Canada had withdrawn the offer. Based on the fact that it probably would get crushed while riding the rough stuff, Our area service rep agreed with Yamaha Canada. One of his comments was"There really hasn't been any reports of this matter across Canada". My responce to that is "Why do the 06's have rads", give me the exchanger & let me worry about the rest. I've seen that a few guys here have mounted the rear exchanger with their own means of protection, with out any problems so far.

Friday night we were coming home when the light came on, When I see that little sailboat & the flashing light come on. Well lets just say I'm surprised that you didn't hear me from here. Like you said wait 10 minutes drive for maybe a few miles then repeat this process till you can get into better snow. I rode today [Sat] with a friend of mine who owns his own Polaris dealership. The trails were just groomed Friday night and the riding was Fantastic, we were JUST RIPIN THEM UP. I just lay a big A$$ WHOOPING on his Fushion. The day was going great untill the Sailboat showed up on my dash, even he couldn't believe that had happened. We had great snow conditions on those trails, I was so mad that I just put the hammer down and rode the burm & if it BLOWS IT BLOWS!. The light never came back on again.

Next week we are having our TY Ride & I'm a little worried that my sled might act up. I sure don't want to hold up everyone else up, which could put me on the sidelines. None of my Yamaha's since 1969 would have experienced any of these so called heating issues on these types of trail conditions. Glad my 06 Attak has a rad and my problem will go away.

Don't be a stranger; how about some pic's of those great areas you ride Mr 12,000 miles. As I know your sled runs good under the right conditions as mine does.

H.A.N.D. ;)!

Ok, why have all the frustration and down time? Just buy the rear exchanger and intall some 1" aluminum channel over it. It cost me $100 for the exchanger and maybe $10 for the channel. It took me maybe two hours total. So whats the problem and why wait for Yamaha? Seems to me that is a lot of time waisted at being pissed off that a simple $100 bill can fix.

Indy said:
Ok, why have all the frustration and down time? Just buy the rear exchanger and intall some 1" aluminum channel over it. It cost me $100 for the exchanger and maybe $10 for the channel. It took me maybe two hours total. So whats the problem and why wait for Yamaha? Seems to me that is a lot of time waisted at being pissed off that a simple $100 bill can fix.

Your right Indy, I already have everything I need but the exchanger. Now If I could just find the time to do it.

For me it's when we get a warm spell and the snow settles then freezes, it leaves very little on top or a crust. This normally happens 3/4 of the way though our season. Working two jobs & sometimes a third part time doesn't leave much time to do much. Normally go without sleep to have to do repairs on mine or setting up sleds for friends, as I want to ride every chance I have.

Seasons come and go far too quickly, I would have ordered & done the changes in the summer if I knew I wasn't getting the exchanger. Not to mention seems I'm the only one in Canada with this problem according to Yamaha & our rep.

Hi BountyHunter. Yeah, I have been kinda absent from these pages - mostly due to computer issues.

Let me first set the record straight. I am not the guy from Vermont who does the 10K+ miles! My Warrior just clicked over 3200 and conditions here have been poor at best! I got a very enjoyable 1200m on in Quebec about 3 weeks ago and have about 100 here in VT.

As far as Indy's comments about just spending the $100 and being done with it; I can sorta see 2 sides. The biggest problem is that if all of us just do things to fix THEIR problems, the result is that we never get a better product. LB said it very well in a discussion about W arms. Yamaha thinks there is no problem since their warranty claim numbers for that part are very low. Maybe they would have improved that part if allot of claims kept showing up?

My own feeling is that if the other sleds I ride with AREN'T overheating, the problem is the engineering of the sled, NOT THE CONDITIONS. My dealer and Yamaha BOTH keep talking about the overheating being"condition dependant" BS! Yamaha took a chance and removed the rear exchanger. It is fine if you ride in deep powder out West or something but cold conditions on groomed trails will overheat that sled EVERY TIME. I proved it this last trip by riding the exact trail at the exact speed a few days apart. When it was in the low teens to single numbers (F) it overheated; in the 20's it did not.

Was riding in Quebec this past week and Warrior temp light started coming on. Didn't make sense as it was -25 to -30 out and tons of snow. After this happened a few times noticed ice build up on front heat exchanger. The ice was actually insulating the exchanger causing sled to warm up. On 3rd day temps warmed up to -8 and problem went away. Confirmed my suspicion. The extreme cold has fine snow dust which gradually built up in the very cold weather forming an ice bridge. When warmer the snow does not build the ice bridge as it is too warm. Go figure!

Well Our TY Ride was last week & weekend and on our very first day and in the first two miles the light came on. I managed to pull up onto the side of the ditch we were travling on and ran there, in about ten seconds the light went out. I just kept sweeping up and across the ditch till we made it to better parts of the trails, that was the last I saw of the light.

Today I got an Email that made my jaw hit the floor, I had to read it twice. Yamaha has had a change of heart, not really sure why but I'm glad to see that they have changed their minds. They are supplying me with a NEW REAR EXCHANGER & INSTALLED, Yes Parts & Labour for FREE. I almost fell over after reading that, still hard to believe but it's true.

I'm going to hurry and put it in before they change their minds again ;)!

Thanks Yamaha :-o

Well, they weren't as generous with me I can tell you that! Then again, I am not done fighting! My dealer told me I was the first one they contacted when they found out there was an exchanger available. They agreed to:

1) Sell me the part for $85.29
2) Install it for an estimated 2hr of labor @$52.
3) Informed me "Yamaha would not stand behind the exchanger because I had a studded track". I would be on my own.

We "discussed" it and he agreed to split the labor w/me. I wanted to ride and figured it might be a leverage point later on if I had he delaer install it rather than do it myself. He was very accomodating and got it right in Sat AM.
I was handed a bill for 164.67 which included billing the exchanger out @$93.82 and $13.10 for Yamaha coolant.

Bottom line is I feel I was abused a bit with the labor offer which seems to have been partly offset in the coolant and price boost to the part!

Based on so many others getting this added N/C, I still plan to pursue it.

Back