• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water Skipping

bigdog1000

Lifetime Member
Before anyone rides me on water skipping, let it be said we ride lots of lakes and need to understand our sleds capabilities when faced with open water. I just bought an 08 Apex LTX which is a beauty. My previous sled was a Ski Doo Renegade which was amazing over water. I tried out my Apex this past weekend and was appalled to find the track slipped in the water when throttle was applied rather than accelerating like my Ski Doo. Front end seems to bounce easily as well. Anyone here have any experience with water skipping on these sleds and what can you tell me?
Thanks

bigdog1000 said:
. Anyone here have any experience with water skipping on these sleds and what can you tell me?
Thanks

Yep....

Here's video from this time last year...hopefully we'll do some more this weekend.

http://media.putfile.com/WaterCrossing-v2-98

The water in the pictures is about 2300ft...both Apex's ran it several times. Both are essentially box stock...

Attachments

• DaveDorset.jpg
    DaveDorset.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Doug and Dave.jpg
    Doug and Dave.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 253
DoktorC said:
bigdog1000 said:
. Anyone here have any experience with water skipping on these sleds and what can you tell me?
Thanks

Yep....

Here's video from this time last year...hopefully we'll do some more this weekend.

http://media.putfile.com/WaterCrossing-v2-98

The water in the pictures is about 2300ft...both Apex's ran it several times. Both are essentially box stock...

that's awesome :Rockon:

Great stuff..no one experienced the track slip? Did you try to slow down and speed up? Did you feel the sled was graqdually losing speed? I've done Dorset many times on my Ski Doo but the Yammie makes me nervous. So far longest I have done on my LTX is 100 yards and I did not feel it could accelerate from the medium speed I was crossing.

Mine seems to settle in at about 100km/h. I used to hit the water FAST and the sled would slow down and bounce around..scaring the crap out of me...so now I've been hitting the water slower and accelerating...cruising at 100..

The boys in the picture are my buddies...I'm not quite up to doing the Dorset run...my sled would make it I'm sure...but I'll pass for now.

Dorset is a small town south of Algonquin Park in Ontario. Lake of Bays connects to a small lake through a channel in the middle of town that has a couple of bridges over it. The channel is usually open about a quarter mile or so and daring sledders will run it to the delight of many onlookers. Many go down, where costs about $1000 to hire a diver to go get it (adds to the entertainment, except for the unlucky owner). Yammies and Kitty Kats go down the most while most Ski Doos have little problem.

I've heard the Doo's do well on the water. A Doo dealer in NE Iowa, told me a local guy was riding his Ski Doo so much on the river, during the summer, that the DNR told him he would have to register his sled as a boat! ;)!

4jwv said:
I've heard the Doo's do well on the water. A Doo dealer in NE Iowa, told me a local guy was riding his Ski Doo so much on the river, during the summer, that the DNR told him he would have to register his sled as a boat! ;)!

I know the older ZX style SD's are awesome on water..but I've heard that the Rev's aren't. I haven't seen any Rev's on the water so it may all be talk (SRX's are supposed to be bad too...but they're fine)...

I think Dorset is the benchmark around Ontario's cottage country...I don't know of another spot that as long and there isn't a spot that is so well publisized!!!

RedRX1 said:
deep under that bridge! Yami is usually top on the score board, the old Vmax style sleds let a lot of water in. My Rx1 was fine a few years ago.

Ya my Vmax is the sled that put the fear in me lol...The guy on the blue Apex did that same stretch on his '92 Exciter...no fear!

my 700 sxr with tripple pipes and 136 1.5 lugz does pretty kick azz on water but water gets on my belt some how.other than that water skipping is much more funner than riding on snow woohoo

Back