• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Water Temp Gauge on Apex

vmax80096

Extreme
Country
Canada
Anyone running one of these on their 2011 or newer apex? Reason asking is once the apex gets above 185 water temp it retards timing 6 degrees as a safety precaution. So if you have noticed the apex not performing very well on hot days this is why. 6 degrees timing is probably at least 10hp loss in power.

Attachments

• gage.jpeg
    gage.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 232
What do you run for temps most of the time. Did you notice a loss in power when temps got up? Already has a knock sensor so don't know why it then backs timing off when temps get above 185F, that really isn't very hot. Did you run the pc5 and shorter intakes?

My normal running temp was 167 degrees when there was sufficient cooling. During low snow runs, and temps running close to 200, I didn't really notice a drop in power.

No on the PC5 and shorter intake.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/pics-prosport-digital-temp-gauge-lake-effect-riser-12-apex.106952/
The above is a link to a post that I did regarding a Prosport Gauge that I mounted along w/ part numbers. I have the PC5, but have not done the short stacks yet, but next season, may just dremel mine at the seam on the intakes, which appear to be the same distance in pics that I have seen of the shorter stacks.
Temperatures I run are from 162-167 F normally. Long hauls across lakes when it's in single digits out will run around 157-159 F. I also am running water wetter in my tank, and additionally diluted the factory mixture with Yamacool 50/50 mix. I rarely see above 180, unless on a dry connector/road trail that has no snow on it. Usually never above 180 F in anyplace that I would be looking for any sort of performance/wide open throttle to judge if I have lost any power or timing retardation. I also run studs which may help w/ throwing ice/snow onto the exchangers.

I run one on my Apex. Here's a link to an older thread: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/what-aftermarket-coolant-temp-gauge-do-you-use.132165/#post-1187721

I like to know what the actual temp is versus a dummy light Yammy provides us with.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/pics-prosport-digital-temp-gauge-lake-effect-riser-12-apex.106952/
The above is a link to a post that I did regarding a Prosport Gauge that I mounted along w/ part numbers. I have the PC5, but have not done the short stacks yet, but next season, may just dremel mine at the seam on the intakes, which appear to be the same distance in pics that I have seen of the shorter stacks.
Temperatures I run are from 162-167 F normally. Long hauls across lakes when it's in single digits out will run around 157-159 F. I also am running water wetter in my tank, and additionally diluted the factory mixture with Yamacool 50/50 mix. I rarely see above 180, unless on a dry connector/road trail that has no snow on it. Usually never above 180 F in anyplace that I would be looking for any sort of performance/wide open throttle to judge if I have lost any power or timing retardation. I also run studs which may help w/ throwing ice/snow onto the exchangers.
Grimm, Iam just installing electric gauge on my 03 rx1-but what wire do you splice into for power to gauge, Larry

I picked mine up from the ignition wires, as the gage powers up when I turn the key. I don't know if the gage powers up when the key is turned when tapped into the headlight circuit. Perhaps others could chime in?

I believe it was a blue/white wire on my '13 Apex, that ran to the key switch. All I have to do is turn the key to on and my gauge will turn on too. I also put a 3 amp fuse in-line to boot.

Back