• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Weird boost gauge readings - solved!!!

After you put it back the way the Hurricane instructions say pull the vacuum line off the BOV and plug it. If it then pulls vacuum at idle the BOV is bad.

Thanks for the tips. Going to plug the vac line straight into boost gauage , start it up and see if I get vacuum. I have hooked a bike pump up to gauge and it shows positive pressure and negative. This should give me an idea if bov is bad.

Well the struggle continues.

To recap:
1. did install of turbo connecting vac lines as per Hurricane picture. Result: started and ran fine. AFR good just wouldn't show boost level. Always 0.

2. Switched to MPI suggested ports to try to get a boost reading. Result: very very hard time starting. 1500ish idle . AFR hunting at idle Boost showed 0. No vac or boost. Took for a run and couldn't get 5 houses down the street. wow AFR super lean, backfires, boggy! Ugh.

3. Tore it apart again (a few times) thinking leaks. Disconnected BOV, boost gauge to eliminate possible problems/leaks Eventually moved everything back to Hurricane suggested ports as I had in #1 above. Result:. Starts ok. Idles perfectly at 1500. AFR hunts at idle (12-15). Giving it throttle AFR super lean (off the scale at times), backfires, boggy.

I can't believe I'm worse off than I was in the beginning now. I've run out of ideas. There's not much more vacuum related things that I can think of to check??? I have literally torn this thing down and checked carb boots/hoses/connections half a dozen times. Sorry to bug. Next step maybe to take it to Hurricane.

Well the struggle continues.

To recap:
1. did install of turbo connecting vac lines as per Hurricane picture. Result: started and ran fine. AFR good just wouldn't show boost level. Always 0.

2. Switched to MPI suggested ports to try to get a boost reading. Result: very very hard time starting. 1500ish idle . AFR hunting at idle Boost showed 0. No vac or boost. Took for a run and couldn't get 5 houses down the street. wow AFR super lean, backfires, boggy! Ugh.

3. Tore it apart again (a few times) thinking leaks. Disconnected BOV, boost gauge to eliminate possible problems/leaks Eventually moved everything back to Hurricane suggested ports as I had in #1 above. Result:. Starts ok. Idles perfectly at 1500. AFR hunts at idle (12-15). Giving it throttle AFR super lean (off the scale at times), backfires, boggy.

I can't believe I'm worse off than I was in the beginning now. I've run out of ideas. There's not much more vacuum related things that I can think of to check??? I have literally torn this thing down and checked carb boots/hoses/connections half a dozen times. Sorry to bug. Next step maybe to take it to Hurricane.

I am at a loss.. no ideas.

Man sounds to me like you have a vacume leak some where, i have no idea where maybe try spraying starting fluid around everything and see if your idle picks up.

Ok some progress.

Got the propane torch out yesterday and what do I find? Wait for it..... BOV leaking. Hello TurboSmart BOV my new friend! Installed it yesterday. However... (insert sad face here) it starts and idles fine 1500, AFR numbers still high (14's at idle - warm) and climb higher with a little throttle. Also still no vac reading on gauge hooked into the Hurricane suggested vac ports. Now all that is while on a stand so with the 10-15cm we are supposed to get today I will be able to test drive tonight.

Ok some progress.

Got the propane torch out yesterday and what do I find? Wait for it..... BOV leaking. Hello TurboSmart BOV my new friend! Installed it yesterday. However... (insert sad face here) it starts and idles fine 1500, AFR numbers still high (14's at idle - warm) and climb higher with a little throttle. Also still no vac reading on gauge hooked into the Hurricane suggested vac ports. Now all that is while on a stand so with the 10-15cm we are supposed to get today I will be able to test drive tonight.

I would now try and put the lines on the ports as MPI shows.

I would now try and put the lines on the ports as MPI shows.

My thoughts as well. I am also going to do a diagnotic reading on the ISC at cold, started and after temp light goes out to make sure that is operating properly and not supplying too much air.

You have had a lot of lines off, check and make sure your existing map sensor is still hooked to the original port. There should be no ports off the TB’s that are open to atmosphere. Double check the TB boots and make sure they have not come off the motor. Excessive boost can cause the TB’s to pop off the engine.

Is this a Hurricane or Mpi kit? If it is a Hurricane kit use Dave's directions those Mpi kits are over rated junk, there is a reason why they went tits up. Did you try talking to Dave he might be able to point ya in the right direction.

Is this a Hurricane or Mpi kit? If it is a Hurricane kit use Dave's directions those Mpi kits are over rated junk, there is a reason why they went tits up. Did you try talking to Dave he might be able to point ya in the right direction.

Great advice lol. Why not read the entire thread before you comment. Nothing against Dave but how about some real help!!

Pretty sure I told him his BOV was junk from the get go telling him to use someone else's directions is helping how.

Pretty sure I told him his BOV was junk from the get go telling him to use someone else's directions is helping how.

Both of those ports are engine vacuum, so it really doesn’t matter. If you want to do it right, the restricted one should go to the Map
Sensors and the larger one to the BOV & FPR. Separating them will will give your engine a more accurate signal to the map sensors. It’s restricted so the engine pulses don’t mess with the ECU at idle. The newer map sensors really don’t need the restricted feed, they have it built into the sensor, but still not a bad idea to separate them.
His issue is obviously a leak somewhere

Well all is good in my world except the warm temps and lack of snow this weekend. I think I've got my issues fixed.

It appears I had two: leaky Bov (thanks TPAY243 I wasn't ignoring you) as well as using those small vac ports seemed to create issues. Pain in the arse troubleshooting both but managed to go for a quick rip last night and she pulls hard.

Still don't know why boost gauge won't show vac numbers but it sure shows boost #'s!

Thanks for all the help. Let it snow.

Back